Thread: Nx 250 ??

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Insulation
    Hudson River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Nx 250 ??

I have hung my NX 250 now three times. Each time getting easier and understanding more.

I have whoopie slings for the suspension. This time, after I got inside the hammock, the bug screen was just a little to snug for the last few inches at the top.

Did I maybe have it strung too tight? I thought the angle was about 30 degrees?? I didn't want to force it close and damage the zipper.

Thanks for your help. I plan on kayak camping on the Lower Saranac River in a few weeks and can't wait to try it out. Planning on an overnighter soon before the first time.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    You'll find several threads I participated in urging that a structural ridge line be used with Clarks, even though you will have to attach it beyond the ends of the hammock (a total of 16+" ) in order for the line to clear the hoops. Unless Clark changed the sewing, I also think the default position is tighter than it would be for you to be more comfortable. All that is in earlier threads.

So, set up a structural ridge line and set it, at a start, for 83-85% of the maximum distance spanned. Or set up your NX-250 with the hoops AND with a a 3/4" tape measure in hand. When you have the hammock the way you think you like it, let the rods loose so the hoods collapse, and so you can measure the distance between ends as you sit in the hammock. I think that if you measure more than 92", the hammock will be more comfortable strung looser.
    Tell us what you think.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by susiew50 View Post
    Did I maybe have it strung too tight?
    If the zipper was hard to close you were probably just a little tight. I am pretty new to the NX250 but here's what works for me to get the proper hang.
    With an empty hammock with hoops in place, bug netting and storm shield zipped closed - I tension the hammock until the storm shield droops to just about the level of the hammock sides, maybe an inch above. That seems to give me the correct tension when laying inside.
    To get the proper foot end to head end relationship (which can be hard to get right on sloping ground) I make sure the droop in the storm shield created by proper tensioning is not midway between the two ends but is about 1/3 of the way down from the head end. I adjust this by raising or lowering one end at the tree.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    ....and if that is the case, have short lengths of shock cord (if you are a serious camper) or inexpensive light sewing elastic( if you want to get by for under <$2 from Wallmart, etc) to pull the hoops back toward the hammock ends, so the netting is up for maximum ventilation and comfort.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    If the zipper was too tight to close easily, it was definitely too tight. As Passinthrough suggests, I also use the visual droop of the storm shield to judge the tightness, but I don't let it droop quite that much. Have you looked at the video describing the NX-250 on the Clark website? It gives a very good visual of the proper (at least for me) droop of the storm shield and tilt of the spreader rods. Experiment with the proper amount of droop for you, note what the storm shield looks like, and is surprisingly easy to set it up the same again.

If it is too tight for the zipper to close properly, it also seems to add the hard ridge lines to the middle of the hammock where your legs are. For me, it is also important to get the foot end a little higher than the head. Passinthrough's suggestion for setting this using the position of the low part of the droop is something I hadn't thought of and I can't wait to try. It makes a lot of sense.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I don't disagree with any of the previous suggestions. But, you may find that hanging an UQ complicates the visual cues you get from the droop of the netting and weather-shield.
    In any event three of us are in agreement that the NX-250 is likely more comfortable when hung a little looser, with more sag, than the cleanest visual of the unoccupied hammock gives you. That is also true, in my experience, for the smaller-bed NX-150.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-18-2012 at 19:18.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    But, you may find that hanging an UQ complicates the visual cues you get from the droop of the netting and weathershield.
    DemostiX is right - any weight in or on the hammock will change the way it looks. If you are judging the proper suspension by appearance just be sure you have it always set up the same way each time before starting - UG on or off, sleeping gear in or out, etc.
    I haven't used a ridgeline, but I suspect that the ridgeline length also changes with different setups.

Also, DemostiX recommendation to use shock cord at the ends to keep the netting taut is also helpful. When hung to my liking, the net is loose when empty - nicely tentioned when loaded. But if I am in the hammock and sit up to reach something, the netting loosens and falls on my head. The shock cords at the ends keep that from happening. I leave the shockcords disconnected while setting my suspension - then attach them afterwards.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Agree 100 %. I hang and adjust mine without the underquilt, then when I'm liking it, I add the underquilt. Definitely any weight in or under the hammock when making the initial hang and adjustents is, as Demostix said, going to "complicate" things.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Insulation
    Hudson River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I will try again this weekend. Each time out, I learn different tricks and it goes easier.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I wondered how light I could go with the "shock cords."

I found some 1.5mm (estimated) sewing elastic cord, and cut a pair of 1foot lengths. Then I fastened them, in Rip Waverly approved style, with a pair of prussik loops made of .75mm waxed polyester thread at each end of the hammock

Total weight penalty to hold up the hoops: 3 grams......as though it matters a lot to NX250 owners.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast