Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!

1.7DBL insulation add-on?

I've got a Blackbird 1.7.

I'm thinking about getting a piece of polartec windproof fleece and putting it in the pocket underneath and attaching it with velcro or something.

I can't come up with any cons to doing this for cooler weather and can only think of reducing bulk possibly by not having to carry a UQ.

Input appreciated.
    You don't HAVE TO be crazy to be here - But I assure you it will help.....

Hammock
    RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    I just order a Black Bird and plan to try out doubled reflectix glued together and two layers of some soft insulator glued between the reflectix and my butt/back/legs/feet...maybe Primaloft. I tried a proof of concept in my NX 150 and it is warm but the aluminized reflectix is worse than a space blanket for krinkle crackel and making noise when you move about. I bought the WBBB because of the double bottom made to accept some type of insulating material. If this doesn't work out then the fall back is an under quilt.

Comments and other ideas welcome please.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty

Anyone Try the HH insulation?

Hennesy Hammock makes a reflective pad that is wider at the shoulders. Has anyone tried this as insulation between the layers of a 1.7 WBBB? I'm still itching waiting to get my blackbird (any day now I hope).

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 D
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex 70D
    Insulation
    Poncho Liner UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    I am going by a commercial carpet store and checkout the thinner padding or the poly underlayment for laminate flooring.

Might go by UPS and buy some bubble wrap

Hammock
    RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    I stumbled upon a deal a Wally Mart...60" wide fleece at $0.98 a yard...I bought 10 yards with the hope of making my Reflectix quieter and warmer at the same time. The plan is to use headliner spray to stick the fleece to the Reflectix on both sides and see how that works out. Blackbird should be here next week or the week after so I can get some measurements and then I can start playing with the material.

Comments?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    The fleece should help w/ the condensation that comes with reflectix.

Together, they will make for a relatively heavy and bulky insulator, but the price sure is affordable!

Please let us know what temps you can comfortably handle on your test hangs.

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter1812 View Post
    Hennesy Hammock makes a reflective pad that is wider at the shoulders. Has anyone tried this as insulation between the layers of a 1.7 WBBB? I'm still itching waiting to get my blackbird (any day now I hope).
    I used it comfortably to th 40's with my HH DJ and I've stuck it in my black birds to verify it would fit. Have never field tested it though. One can get a UQ from Adam with tech fabrics that weigh less than the HH pad for less weight and bulk, but you are talking $200+ vs $30. The HH pad is either 11 or 13 oz, sorry I'm not 100% sure as I rarely use it. If you really want me to toss it on the scales pipe up and I can do so.

Oh...even though it is wider at the shoulder, and has mitten hooks to hold it in place, the right shoulder is the place I typically was cool when I regularly used it before I bought an UQ.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a WBBB 1.7 dbl layer and at Brandon's suggestion I got 1/16" Microcel and cut it to my body shape (Shoulders to knees) to slip in between layers. It is very packable, light, blocks any wind and is good insulation to maybe 55 deg. Downside, it bunches up and might bother some...

I would suggest 1/8" -1/4" for fall/spring

Find it at http://gossamergear.com/sleeping.html
    (In sleeping section) Shipping is Expensive because of size. Go in with friends and share it...
    Last edited by soundmanob; 06-24-2012 at 09:51. Reason: Remembered source of Microcel
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I've stuffed a woollen Swandri in between the layers when my UQ wasn't quite up to the job, it worked a treat for a couple of nights

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Quote Originally Posted by ftroop94 View Post
    I used it comfortably to th 40's with my HH DJ and I've stuck it in my black birds to verify it would fit. Have never field tested it though. One can get a UQ from Adam with tech fabrics that weigh less than the HH pad for less weight and bulk, but you are talking $200+ vs $30. The HH pad is either 11 or 13 oz, sorry I'm not 100% sure as I rarely use it. If you really want me to toss it on the scales pipe up and I can do so.

Oh...even though it is wider at the shoulder, and has mitten hooks to hold it in place, the right shoulder is the place I typically was cool when I regularly used it before I bought an UQ.
    Who is Adam? I wouldn't mind spending $200 for an under quilt but I'm mainly a summer camper. Is there a cheaper lighter option?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast