Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    DD 3x3m
    Insulation
    DIY UQ soon!

Where do YOU store your pack, boots etc when hanging?

Hello all!

I know this MUST have been covered on the forums here a hundred times, but I can't seem to find any previous threads on it! Perhaps a wise and learned member can point this newbie in the right direction!!

Whenever I go camping with my HH expedition A-sym, the question I always ask myself is:

"Right, where am I going to keep my backpack, muddy boots, bottles of beer etc?"

So I'm curious, what's the best solution for storing your belongings overnight when you're safely wrapped up inside your hammock? Particularly when it's raining (which it does a LOT here in Wales!) or you don't want the creatures of the night getting into your bags etc.

I've had the pack in the hammock with me (not comfy!), I've suspended muddy boots inside the hammock with me too (they didn't stay there long! ) -

I dream of a way of having more space between the top of my bug net and the tarp, and hanging everything from the ridgeline of the tarp up above me - is it feasible?

Thanks in advance, folks!

Toby.

I hang my boots over the ends of the hammock suspension along with wet socks, stuff sacks etc. I put my pack in a trash bag (that I use as a liner in the pack) and lay it under the hammock or hang it from a tree...oh yeah forgot the tyvek that goes under my hammock
    Last edited by Ewker; 06-18-2012 at 12:16.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I normally carry a small piece of plastic just big enough for the pack and shoes to lay under the hammock. This weekend,,I didn't carry the plastic,,and just used my poncho (piece of rain gear) and stored shoes on it and hung everything including shoes off hammock under my tarp. I normally hang clothes and pack off hammock under tarp all the time as well.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use a tyvek footprint under the hammock so I can get in and out without worrying about dirt or mud. If I expect were weather I'll hang the boots at the foot suspension line and put a pack cover on my gear.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

I put mine right underneath me with its cover on. if its raining i put it so the cover is on the ground

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Presuming you've got the standard diamond fly with your Exped then you don't get a lot of extra coverage, you could throw up a second ridgeline under your tarp and hang your gear from that.

I think you're limited with the small fly as to what you can do, it's either going mean putting stuff on the deck or trying to squeeze then under the tarp without compromising your sleeping space.

One option might be to carry a couple of large trash bags and just put your gear in those at bed time, your boots won't get chance to dry though which can be a pain.

The ideal solution would be to look at upgrading your tarp for something a bit bigger, the Hex would work well, that way you can hang stuff underneath and not be bothered by it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    All over....! On a piece of plastic and on hammock ridgeline.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    DD 3x3m
    Insulation
    DIY UQ soon!
    Thanks for the excellent advice so far guys! And so lightning fast too!

Shewie, upgrading to a larger tarp is precisely the next thing I want to do!

I've always used the standard A-sym tarp, I've always thought it was tiny, and just struggled on not knowing just how many alternatives are out there!

I have struggled with adjusting that thing in every direction I can imagine, and I think 50% of my nights in it I've got wet!!! For the best part of five years! I must really love hammocks to still want to do it... My mind has been blown by the bigger tarps available!

I have a net (nylon) hammock i set up underneath to keep things off the ground

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Am I the only one that doesn't have trouble with the stock HH asym?

I just dump my stuff right under the hammock. The coverage, while minimal, has been just fine for me. If it's sideways rain, I just pull the sides down more. I think the only concern has been splashage from drops off the tarp...

And as far as a ground cloth, well I suppose if the ground was muddy it would be nice to have one, but the truth is I can hang most of the gear from the ridgeline. And who cares if the bottoms of your boots get wet... they're wet already. If water is going to get into your boots sitting underneath you, I suspect you'd have more problems than just wet boots.

That being said, when the day comes to upgrade, I'll probably get cuben in a larger size.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Allytk View Post
    I have a net (nylon) hammock i set up underneath to keep things off the ground
    I do like this idea as an alternative to a ground cloth. Whats the weight addition?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast