Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images

Measurement and calculation or practice and theory

Newbie questions here! From the outside looking in it would seem that the weight supported by the tree straps would be roughly 1/2 of the weight of the hanger and suspension. Picture 2 guys holding up a girl by her elbows as she holds them tightly by her sides or two guys carrying a couch, in neither case are the guys supporting the total weight let alone more than the total weight. Now if the gal were wriggling that's different. As the hanger shifts to find the sweet spot or carelessly drops in the hammock I see the need to for the suspension to exceed the weight of the hanger,but by how much.

Why not hang from Zing it or Fling it, a 2.2 mm is rated at 580#'s & 650#'s average weight respectively.

Why not hang from Dynaglide which a 2 mm line is rated at 1000#'s?

Has anyone hung thru an inline scale and measured the forces transmitted thru hammock suspension. In particular an SLS suspension?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Good number of guys are using Dyna whoopies. As far as the strap, one of the issues is not weight capacity for you, but how are you putting the weight on the tree. The straps spread the forces so we don't damage the tree. A thin string will damage the tree faster under load.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Newbie questions here! From the outside looking in it would seem that the weight supported by the tree straps would be roughly 1/2 of the weight of the hanger and suspension....
    If the weight was suspended straight down as in your examples, you would be correct in thinking it would be divided in half.

However, the direction of pull is on an angle for hammock suspensions and the laws of physics take over. The farther the angle is from perpendicular to the ground, the greater the forces become acting on the suspension and trees. Take the same girl and have her lay flat on the ground. Have the two guys pick her up by her hands and feet and see how hard they have to pull to keep her flat rather than "sagging".

Here's a little toy to illustrate how these forces multiply. Move the "weight" with your cursor to see the effects. There are also several charts that have been posted...hopefully someone will provide a link.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblcorona View Post
    Good number of guys are using Dyna whoopies. As far as the strap, one of the issues is not weight capacity for you, but how are you putting the weight on the tree. The straps spread the forces so we don't damage the tree. A thin string will damage the tree faster under load.
    I plan to use this:

http://www.rei.com/product/737298/bl...ubular-webbing

Unless there is a good reason to buy straps and cut hooks or buckles off. 10' @ 128 grams/4.5 oz. per side doesn't seem too bad but I haven't seen the weight of the Home Depot tie down straps so it's a guess. I plan to sew a loop on one or both sides. Not sure what length I should use either which is why I'm thinking about starting with 10' can't imagine needing more.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    With a ~4000 lbs rating, that's a long way from zing-it. If that webbing is made from nylon rather then polyester, you may experience some stretching. Then again, at 4000#, maybe not.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Tubular webbing is made for climbing. It is often intended for dynamic loads, meaning a stretch factor is built in to absorb shock in the event of a catastrophic fall. That is an essential safety feature for climbing, but it can be a detriment for hammocking where the safety factors need not be so robust. The stretch can leave you with your butt on the ground. Generally materials designed for static loads are more than sufficient, given the proper tensile strength.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    If the weight was suspended straight down as in your examples, you would be correct in thinking it would be divided in half.

However, the direction of pull is on an angle for hammock suspensions and the laws of physics take over. The farther the angle is from perpendicular to the ground, the greater the forces become acting on the suspension and trees. Take the same girl and have her lay flat on the ground. Have the two guys pick her up by her hands and feet and see how hard they have to pull to keep her flat rather than "sagging".

Here's a little toy to illustrate how these forces multiply. Move the "weight" with your cursor to see the effects. There are also several charts that have been posted...hopefully someone will provide a link.
    Not to be argumentative, but it that is accurate the force on the shoulders of 2 guys carrying a 200 pound guy in a gurney would be about 400 #'s that seems high. Too bad you can't change the angle! Given your linked tool it would seem that an SLS would be a much more efficient way to hang a hammock. By that I mean one could use rope rated to carry less weight.

I think I have a project to try this in a scaled model using a fishing scale to make measurements.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Too bad you can't change the angle! Given your linked tool it would seem that an SLS would be a much more efficient way to hang a hammock.
    The linked tool does allow you to change the angle. Slide the weight up and down with the cursor. I don't know the physics cause I'm not a mathlete but I have had my supports bend when strung tightly and not bend when I hang loose. All other factors are the same. That says to me the closer you get to horizontal the more stress is placed on the supports. That is consistent with the models presented.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks, I remember seeing that when I was researching, do you know the equations for a SLS with 2 points of attachment?

Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast