Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Adventure Duo seeking advice

I've only been on the hammock forums for a day now, so go easy on me. I have yet to use the search button because i don't have enough knowledge to point myself in one direction.

Here's what we are looking for
    -Durable and Lightweight, Bug net/tarp included, lots of storage space or compartments (very OCD) and suspension, (preferred straps)

Big enough to sleep two and still be pretty comfortable and under 250$

I've checked out a few set ups so far but i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

I've seen a couple of the warbonnets, dream hammocks, FRBs, and a few others off the top of my head but i feel as always with forums someone can hopefully chime in with smaller type of brand that has everything i need.

Thanks for everything, looking forward to hangin around soon. Joe and Leah

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Welcome to the forum!!

Are you looking to sleep two in the same hammock? If so, you might have some trouble meeting your price cut off. Most hammocks for any type of overnight, it gets really uncomfortable smashed together really fast (my opinion of course, but I believe there are others out there that would agree).

The only two hammocks I know of that are designed to sleep two are the Clark Vertex and the Clark Flex 180. Both are well over $250. I wish you luck in your search!

I had a strong feeling i was going to hear the 2 to 1 ratio would be uncomfortable, are there any hammocks that meet the same requirements but are still rather large for one person?

I figure the gal and i could just hang one atop the other if need be but i still would like plenty of room, i had looked at the ENO double nest at bonnaroo and it's pretty simple and small for the price, i have read on here the quality isn't the best either. Do you know of any other double sized or larger that's a better bang for the buck?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Recommend seperate hammocks. Also recommend BlackBirds as they are roomy, have built in bug net and shelf. Get seperate tarps for the hammocks.

My wife and I each have our own BB's and the wife loves hers.

Also need to consider if you are car camping or backpacking.

If you are car camping then you can get away with cheaper but heaver tarps and cheap but heavy sleeping bags to use as TQs and foam pads for UQ.

If you are backpacking then you will need to invest in lighter (but more expensive) traps, down TQs and UQs.

If posible you need to attend a group hang so you can check out different set ups and find out why the user chose that gear and would they do different.

Once you get your gear you need to test it by spending a night or two in your backyard or nearby camp ground where you can set up your gear and see out it works under controlled conditions. Nothing worse than going out into the woods to find out the hard way that your gear does not do what you want.

If you can sew then you can make much of you own gear.

Picture is my wife taking a late morning nap at the Medoc Mt State Park NC hang in her 1.0 BB double. She is using a poncho liner for a blanket and her sleeping bag that she uses as a TQ when it is cold is shoved to the side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 06-18-2012 at 19:42.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

I liked what i saw from the black bird, as far as suspension systems goes. I thought the ENO type of rig but i have yet to see adjustable web suspensions in action any pros or cons with going each route WBBB offers?

We plan on driving cross country so i wouldn't have to worry too much about weight but i still prefer light weight options as they are better for when i am not using my subaru. As far as padding goes i just bought a Moon Mat so i want to find a setup that has the pad slip under neath the first layer of fabric.

thanks for the suggestions so far!
    Last edited by joeboy2.5; 06-18-2012 at 19:49.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The ENO DN is a very good quality hammock, I own one. Max weight load of 400 lbs. Just don't use the ENO slap straps, they are make of nylon and will stretch and you will find yourself on the ground.

I use the BB stock adjustable straps, buckle system and added Dutch Clips, makes for a very fast and easy set up. You can save some weight with a whoopie system but I find the fiddle factor to much bother. I prefer the KISS system, Keep It Simple Stupid.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I've not seen the cord & strap suspension that Warbonnet offers in person. However, the adjustable webbing suspension I can comment on:

Pros:
    Ease of set-up and adjustment. Seriously, it's the easiest way I've seen to set up and adjust an hammock.

Cons:
    Depends on non-included hardware (you need to purchase either a climbing-rated carabiner or a Dutch Clip for the trailing end of the strap). Not as light as and more bulky than Whoopie Slings or cord & knot set ups.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You should try sleeping two people in one hammock. I readily admit to being in the minority on this, but my girlfriend and I share a single hammock several times a week. If you are happy to snuggle, it might work for you.

Lots of hammocks that can accommodate this, but our favorite (outdoors) is our Trek Light double.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Might try the two hammocks with a spreader bar.. There was a recent post on it.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Take a look at the Clark Vertex.....http://www.junglehammock.com/store/p...&cat=13&page=1
    Expensive but it is a twin hammock.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast