Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oper8or View Post
    I found a cheap solution for my straps. You may like it, you may not. I went to a local store and bought two 20FT ratchet straps and a tube of 3/8 (3mm) aluminum tubing. The ratchet straps cost a whopping $4.00 each. I cut the pin holding the straps (which are not NYLON and are 1 inch wide) keeping the loop intact. I cut the tubing (which cost $9.00 at lowes for a 3FT long tube) into 3 inch sections. Thus creating a cheap but effective strap and toggle system. I ordered my amsteel (7/64 - color green) through a local marine shop and got 50FT for $14.00.

Total = $31.00 + tax

I'm just stating what I am currently using. The straps are yellow but I dont care. I could have bought black but wanted something I can see so I dont choke myself in the middle of the night. Plus the straps are rated at 400 LBS. You can get straps that are 1inch that have a 500lbs weight limit in a lot of colors. My 2c with no change to spare.

Not bad and it was within my budget. The hammock for two people, I'll leave that to the more experienced folks on here.
    I want to make something clear. I'm still new to this, my method may not work after a lot of use. It's just something I wanted to try out. If it works, great. If it doesn't, I'll figure something else out. I'm grateful for all of the inovative people here and the help they give us. I hope they can help you sort out what you need. I'm sure they will, they have led me in the right direction!
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Thanks for all the useful info guys, I appreciate it and i will check out all the options

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Warbonnet sells a strap set-up that won't stretch at all and is the easiest way to set up an hammock for $30, total plus shipping.

If you want a whoopie sling set-up, Whoopie Slings sells their all-in-one system for $48 ($58 with the 'biner you need).

If you're willing/able to DIY, these prices go down.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Zpacks 8x11
    Insulation
    E.E. RevelationX
    I can't speak to long term durability. But, the Byer moskito traveller is a very nice introductory hammock/ net all in one. I've only used mine on a couple of trips. Easy to use, seems durable and, at around 45 bucks, it's easy on the wallet. What I like most is that the ends are not whipped and it lessens the butt ridge and makes the diagonal lay much easier than my GTUL. Wish that I had known about the WB suspension before I got the slapstraps.

http://www.byerofmaine.com/products/...traveller.html

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth gathered end. 126x60
    Tarp
    DIY Assym SilNylon
    Insulation
    Down & synth
    Suspension
    Straps & whoopies
    Don't fall for the "lighter is better" trap. Comfort is better, as is dryer is better. Two hammocks and one HUGE tarp can work if one can creatively hang them. One of you carries the hammocks & the other the tarp. Fair trade off.

I would avoid doubling up in a gathered-end hammock. They tend to "center" their cargo.
    Transportation for Hiram Farm

Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123