ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Question on Top Quilt Temp range

I still new with the hammock and not sure what to expect on my weekend outing. Temps are going to be HOT during the day with lows projected at 64 on the first night and as high as 70 on the 2nd. I was thinking of just grabbing a cheap sheet at goodwill and make a simple foot box. I have a poncho liner underquilt, but I have not had a chance to use it yet. So am I going to be cold or should i look at beefing up my top layer? I have a fleece bag liner I made but it seems a little much for those temps, not to mention it is a little heavy. I have plans to make a DIY top quilt sometime next month or so before fall.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I'd probably put more emphasis on getting together your bottom insulation. In the temps you're describing I tend to be quite comfortable with just an UQ most of the time but you should do some backyard testing to see what you need. I would certainly want more than just a sheet as a TQ, should lows drop down into the 50's.

David

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I don't expect temps to get that low. Weather.com says low friday of 63 and sat 70. I am fairly confident, maybe I should not be, that the poncho liner underquilt should keep me warm on the bottom. Seems to be a decent option on the cheap. I do have the fleece sleeping bag, it just weighs a bunch. I thought it would be overkill for these temps. Last time I was camping I had my 35 degree bag with and was kinda hot. Was hoping to scale down a bit this trip.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffyguy View Post
    I don't expect temps to get that low. Weather.com says low friday of 63 and sat 70. I am fairly confident, maybe I should not be, that the poncho liner underquilt should keep me warm on the bottom. Seems to be a decent option on the cheap. I do have the fleece sleeping bag, it just weighs a bunch. I thought it would be overkill for these temps. Last time I was camping I had my 35 degree bag with and was kinda hot. Was hoping to scale down a bit this trip.
    I usually prepare for 10 degrees colder than it is expected to be (as I've been out when it was expected to be 50* and it dropped to 35*).

As Dave mentions, I'd concentrate on under-insulation as that is the area that needs more attention in a hammock.

53* is pretty cold (assuming you're prepping for temps 10* colder than projected) in the woods with nothing more than a sheet to keep you warm.

Backyard testing is your friend.

Let us know how it turns out.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I am convinced that all weather reporting applies to the nearest city to your locale. It's always 10 degrees colder than the reported temps out in the piney woods.

They seem to only cater to city folk where the development adds it's own warmth in the form of stored hear in structures & pavement and heat produced form industries and vehicles.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Whatever the top insulation I use in the hammock seems to get me to about the same temp as it would on the ground. The bottom is the limiting factor for me most of the time. So, if a sheet or fleece blanket/quilt will work for you on the ground on a pad it will most likely be fine in the hammock. On the other hand...a case of CBS will certainly keep you from getting a good night's sleep.

My poor attempt at a PLUQ seemed OK into the mid-low 60s. Maybe pack a set of thermals (top/bottom) or a space blanket just in case?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well this morning i took my DIY fleece bag liner and converted it over to a quilt design. It was already pretty close, just a bit bigger. I will take the added weight, 20 oz , and use that with the PLUQ. I might toss in some long johns too since they don't weight too much just in case I need them.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    20 oz on your back will be worth their weight in gold when you get a decent, warm night's sleep.

Let us know how things pan out.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am sure it will be. I am trying so hard to get under 20 pounds base weight, but need to be warm at night. I will update once I get back from the trip this weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Just something to consider...that 20lbs base weight sounds like a great goal...but sacrificing warmth while you sleep isn't always the best place to start.

Carrying a fleece/PL UQ is worth the extra weight if it means the difference between a miserable night with little/no sleep and a comfortable one from which you wake well rested and ready to move on.

Where ELSE can you shed weight?

Realize please that I'm NOT much of a light-weight camper...I don't count grams/ounces near as much as most. My base weight is right around 24lbs right now...and I'm fine with that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast