Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym

New Hanger, couple of questions.

I recently got my first hammock and I'm excited to use it for the first time on a weekend canoe trip in a couple of weeks. I've had the chance to set it up a couple of times and test it out but I havent gotten to sleep in it yet unfortunately.

I just have a couple of questions-

About ridgelines. Is it better to have a separate ridge line instead of having it attached to the clips that are on those prussik knot rope bits? If you have a separate ridge line, where do you put your snake skins?

How do you guys store your Hennessey when you arent using it? Just in the snake skins?

Also, I know that different suspension systems can save time, but is there any other real advantage other than that?

Does anybody have experience using a poncho-tarp as a rainfly on the hammock? Is it even possible!
    Last edited by ddragggon; 06-19-2012 at 17:16. Reason: more questions.

Hammock
    HH, Explorer Deluxe 2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubater
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    Adjustment for your hammock is much easier with a different suspension. I like the warbonnet straps just because you cant forget anything, its all hooked to your hammock. But most seem to prefer the whoopie slings because they are lighter. Both are extremely easy to adjust.

The ridgline for your tarp is a different matter. It is really nice being able to just hook your tarp to your hammock and forget about it. The advantage to having it with its own suspension is if it rains, you can take down everything under your tarp in the dry and pack it all up leaving the tarp for last. I have become a fan of the second method.

Really it comes down to personal preference and after you get a little more experience and see others gear and how they do it, you will figure out what works for you.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I use the GoLite Poncho Tarp with my hammock all the time. Works great. It will work perfectly with a Hennessy. I've got some photos in my gallery here to check out (blue tarp).

If you have the Hennessy tarp, your ridge line is rather permanent, unless you disassemble it and try a new suspension system. The ridge line also keeps the bug net off your face and provides a consistent sag in the hammock no matter how far apart you hang your hammock. Nice features.

Adjustable or removable ridge lines are more common on gathered-end hammocks where people are looking for more versatility or customization in their hammock.

As for packing, you'll get different advice from everyone We all have our favorite bags, whether they be a double-sided stuff sack, Snake Skins, Bishop Bags, etc. I had snake skins for a while, but I didn't like how unwieldily they became, and I couldn't keep them off the ground as easily as a smaller bag. My favorite is a double-sided stuff sack.

As robust as the figure-8 lashing is, it is cumbersome if you need to make adjustments. Plus, even if you try and pitch the hennessy taut (not always a good idea), the ropes and webbing will give a little slack, so having an easily-adjustable suspension line is a good idea. I prefer having a continuous loop on the ends of my hammock. You can convert a Hennessy to use a small loop on the ends. With that loop, you can easily clip a carabiner, Whoopie sling, descender rings, buckles, etc.

The major factors for switching suspension are: speed, adjustability, weight, and bulk. If weight and bulk are an issue, e.g., you want to get a lighter set up in a smaller package, there are options for that. Speed and adjustability are also factors. Most of the "modern" hammock suspension systems offer varying degrees of speed and adjustability, and some of these are subjective, based on how proficient the user is with a certain set up.

Recently, I've been favoring a strap with daisy chain links, like the KAMMOK Python Strap, only a little smaller and lighter (i.e., DIY). With a toggle and the continuous loop on my hammock, set up is pretty fast and easy. The Marlinspike Hitch works in much the same way, but you get nearly infinite adjustability instead of being limited to where the daisy chain links are sewn.

If I were counting grams, I'd use a smaller strap length, Dynaglide Whoopies, and maybe a Dutch Whoopie Hook system.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I've tried a few differnt set ups with my flys and I found that I like having everything in the skins for quick easy set up and take down (I don't camp/hike in the rain often at all.)

As far as suspension, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sometimes Vancouver, Sometimes Halifax, Canada
    Hammock
    Shopping around
    Tarp
    Shopping around
    Insulation
    Shopping around
    Suspension
    Shopping around
    i added whoopie slings to mine and i really like how simple it has made it to pitch the hammock. i use whoopie slings and the stock tree straps with a couple carabiners to hold the ends of the tree straps together after wrapping.

i will note that adding the whoopie slings has made pitching the stock tarp effectively a bit more difficult. something that i'm still working on. how do you guys normally pitch the tarp if pitching seperate from the hammock?

i find that if i get the tarp taught when i hang in the hammock it lowers the hammock too much for the tarp to be really effective and if i string the tarp up a bit lower than that hammock suspension it ends up sagging a bit once i'm in the hammock.

sorry if this derails your thread but i think it's fairly relevant.

Wish I hadn't bought the Chinnook tarp now. oh well live and learn

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswwright View Post
    i added whoopie slings to mine and i really like how simple it has made it to pitch the hammock. i use whoopie slings and the stock tree straps with a couple carabiners to hold the ends of the tree straps together after wrapping.

i will note that adding the whoopie slings has made pitching the stock tarp effectively a bit more difficult. something that i'm still working on. how do you guys normally pitch the tarp if pitching seperate from the hammock?

i find that if i get the tarp taught when i hang in the hammock it lowers the hammock too much for the tarp to be really effective and if i string the tarp up a bit lower than that hammock suspension it ends up sagging a bit once i'm in the hammock.

sorry if this derails your thread but i think it's fairly relevant.
    http://theultimatehang.com/2012/05/r...k-no-hardware/

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    +1 on Dejoha's link!
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Sometimes Vancouver, Sometimes Halifax, Canada
    Hammock
    Shopping around
    Tarp
    Shopping around
    Insulation
    Shopping around
    Suspension
    Shopping around
    this could be the ace in the hole! i'm going to print it out and shove it in my hammock bag for next time. what do you use for tarp ridgeline material?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Here's an earlier illustration I did on the forums. There are a few more in my book and on my website.

• + New Posts