Thread: Rain Setup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Insulation
    Still Learning

Rain Setup

What tricks do you hangers user to keep your hammocks dry while setting up in the rain? The obvious answer is to avoid setting up in the rain, but as we all know, that's not always possible. Do any of you HH owners leave the rain fly attached when you put the hammock back in the stuffsack or snakeskins?

Thanks,
    Gladiator

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I keep my tarp in my pack's outer pocket. When it rains, I set it up first w/o even removing my pack from under my packa. (A packa is like a fitted poncho...www.thepacka.com.) Then I have a dry place to open my pack and pull the hammock out. I set up the hammock from under the tarp as much as possible. When that's done, I take off my rain gear and finish unpacking, adjusting insulation, etc.

Breaking camp is the reverse - pack up everything except the tarp. At the end, the tarp gets wadded up and stuffed into the pack's outer pocket again.

Also keeps the tarp readily available for lunchtime if needed.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gladiator View Post
    What tricks do you hangers user to keep your hammocks dry while setting up in the rain? The obvious answer is to avoid setting up in the rain, but as we all know, that's not always possible. Do any of you HH owners leave the rain fly attached when you put the hammock back in the stuffsack or snakeskins?

Thanks,
    Gladiator
    One of the things I love about hanging when I canoe is that in a rain or any other time, when I set up or tear down, I can stay dry and stand up. So different from a tent where I was on the ground crawling in and out on my hands and knees. This is one of the great unanticipated joys of hanging for me.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Yes, my HH tarp is separate from the hammock, and sits on top of it in a side pocket. That way, it gets put up first, so I can attempt to keep everything else dry.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Insulation
    Still Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Yes, my HH tarp is separate from the hammock, and sits on top of it in a side pocket. That way, it gets put up first, so I can attempt to keep everything else dry.
    So you must have added lines to your tarp, allowing you to tie to the tree instead of clipping to the support line on your HH?

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    For rain?
    Big tarp n little hammer on the lee side of and close to sumthin big.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gladiator View Post

Thanks,
    Gladiator
    When setting up and taking down your hammock in the rain, you would like the first thing up and the last thing down to be your tarp so that you have a protected space. With a small tarp that may not be so obvious. Setting up, taking down, cooking, and just doing things while it is raining is one of those things that the size of the tarp makes a noticeable difference.

That said, bigger is not always best. Even ignoring weight and bulk, sometimes a smaller tarp is preferred. Larger tarps block more view and wind, and can require larger spaces to set them up. There is such a thing as being too small or too large, but is often a matter of personnel preference combined with the particular conditions one expects to be in. In my geographic area I can classifying different tarp sizes as summer, three season, and winter tarps.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    That said, bigger is not always best. Even ignoring weight and bulk, sometimes a smaller tarp is preferred. Larger tarps block more view and wind, and can require larger spaces to set them up. There is such a thing as being too small or too large, but is often a matter of personnel preference combined with the particular conditions one expects to be in.
    Great point, Dave. I really like the MacCat Standard when I hang alone, but many others think it's too small and prefer the Deluxe (or the many other options available now - SWT, JRB, etc). I like it for exactly the reasons you mention - weight and view being the main reasons. I like laying in my hammock and looking out from under the tarp 360* when possible...tougher to do with a wider hammock that reaches closer to the ground.

But when I hang with Joker under the same tarp, it's not quite big enough. Sometimes "conditions" are dependent on more than what you find in the woods. I'm thinking ~10'x12' with a bit of a cat cut. Although this does limit site selection a bit.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    After a suggestion some time ago from Cannibal, I'm fond of keeping mine in an outside mesh pocket of my pack. Easy to get to and set up in the rain.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I like laying in my hammock and looking out from under the tarp 360* when possible...tougher to do with a wider hammock that reaches closer to the ground.
    Yep, when I'm using a somewhat wider tarp, unless there is wind & or rain to be blocked, I like to hang it high & wide for the view.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast