HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I am headed to Heat & Humidity Central!

Going to Trap Pond SP in DE for canoeing and some cycling. Gonna be hot - I sure am glad I have a WBBB for sleeping. Probably won't even need any under-insulation with these temperatures: Forecast temps of 100F on Thursday with a low of 77F.

I will be pitching my tarp rather high for max convection.

Should cool off some later in the week, but phew! This Big Guy will be sweating.

Jim

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I know all about the humidity. The problem is when its hot and muggy out, you need a bug net, but the bug net blocks the breeze that you need to cool off when its hot and muggy out. Its a real conundrum. Have fun!
    with two m's, like "hammock."

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesthemmingway View Post
    I know all about the humidity. The problem is when its hot and muggy out, you need a bug net, but the bug net blocks the breeze that you need to cool off when its hot and muggy out. Its a real conundrum. Have fun!
    Plenty of room for investigation of this. We could use bug netting with a less dense mesh, but would still be approved by the WHO for stopping malarial mozzies. Approval because it is impregnated with insecticide, like permethrin, and around 200 holes per sq in. The alternative we seem most familiar with is the noseeum mesh that is more closely woven. it blocks more air.

If opening the bug net at 55F results in the feeling of a breeze on the face, even when the air is completely still, then I know the bug net is keeping me warmer in the hammock.

Is there an HVAC tech or contractor with a ceiling fan and and a CFM meter like http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...4525%2d%5f%2dN to tell us how much air is being blocked by bug netting of different meshes?
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-20-2012 at 08:09.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

My last trip to Trap Pond had similar weather.

And I was quite comfy. Sure, the first five minutes after you get into the hammock feel like a sauna, but then the convection kicks in and you start to cool off. On my last visit I actually needed a thin fleece bag to lay on when my back got "cold " at night.

Jim

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    There any hills therabouts that you could hang on near camp? The katabatic winds at night definitely help with keeping you cool through convection. At least, I found them so during my Ocala trip last August (highs in the 90s, lows in the upper 70s/low 80s, and 100% humidity) on the second night.

Anyway, just a thought.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Back from a great trip.

And FLRider, no there are no mountains with katabatic winds in Delaware! Just a coastal plain and cyprus swamps.

Thursday night was quite hot after a 98 degF day - I needed no under or over insulation. A Wally World 2-AA cell "Neck Fan" suspended in a 2QZQ ridgeline organizer helped cool me for the first half hour, and then the convection cooling was sufficient.

Friday through Sunday nights were cool enough (mid-60s) that a cheap fleece throw doubled lengthwise between the layers of my WBBB 1.7 Dbl was perfect when combined with a HG 50 deg TQ.

Four wonderful nights, courtesy of a fine hammock. BTW, two female friends sweltered in their tent the first night.

I was occupied during the day with paddling the cyprus swamp ringed Trap Pond and also triking around the 5 mile trail that loops the pond. All in all, the "walk-in" sites at Trap Pond SP are made for hanging. No hassles with the administration regarding hanging, and unlike adjacent MD one is allowed to partake of a single-bbl Bourbon whilst contemplating the campfire.

Too bad it is a 10 hour trip for me - otherwise I would be there more often.

Jim

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    wont be much better here. another loop this weekend in the smokies...supposed to be 100f in Bryson City,NC for out kick off. We'll gain several thousand feet but still going to be a cooker.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Just sayin---

Thermometer showed 107* at 3:30 this afternoon in Houston, humidity waaaaay above 50%.

Right now (9:00 PM CST) its 94* with 53% Humidity and it might get all the way down to 89* by daybreak.

I live 60 miles from the coast, I'm at 100' ASL, there's nothing below 80' ASL for 20 miles in any direction, and the only winds I'm gonna get from that are the catatonic kind.

Can somebody send me a map of that place in DE so I can go cool off?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    And FLRider, no there are no mountains with katabatic winds in Delaware! Just a coastal plain and cyprus swamps.

Thursday night was quite hot after a 98 degF day - I needed no under or over insulation. A Wally World 2-AA cell "Neck Fan" suspended in a 2QZQ ridgeline organizer helped cool me for the first half hour, and then the convection cooling was sufficient.

Friday through Sunday nights were cool enough (mid-60s) that a cheap fleece throw doubled lengthwise between the layers of my WBBB 1.7 Dbl was perfect when combined with a HG 50 deg TQ.

Four wonderful nights, courtesy of a fine hammock. BTW, two female friends sweltered in their tent the first night.

I was occupied during the day with paddling the cyprus swamp ringed Trap Pond and also triking around the 5 mile trail that loops the pond. All in all, the "walk-in" sites at Trap Pond SP are made for hanging. No hassles with the administration regarding hanging, and unlike adjacent MD one is allowed to partake of a single-bbl Bourbon whilst contemplating the campfire.

Too bad it is a 10 hour trip for me - otherwise I would be there more often.

Jim
    Heh. Sounds like you had fun. And hills don't need to be huge to have a decent difference in airflow; Ocala doesn't change elevation more'n fifty feet or so throughout (remember, this is FL, the largest sand bar in the US).

Thanks for sharing!

• + New Posts