Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Biomed View Post
    Hooch, How much space does your packed sleep system take? I wish you the best of luck with Ed, hope he hires you!

cavediver2, you've made a great video on youtube about the clark. You've showed so many cool little features that doesn't appear on their website. Great stuff, it really looks like a cool hammock.
    Just a thought, how cold can you sleep in it (note that I am a cold sleeper) if you don't fill the pockets? Do you sleep with a pad? And what do you normally fill the pockets with if it gets really chilly?

I am a warm sleeper but I use the right kinda bag for the weather. if it's going to be below freezing I usally go with something in the 0 range bag I do not mind getting hot I can vent it if I do but I absolutely hate being cold
    when I sleep outside even the least little bit cold I don't like, so that is why I use a bag rated for more that what it's going to be outside. I do use a pad I have a cheap guide series pad maybe 3/4 inch thick and poly pro clothing I can get down to single digits. I also put what ever is in my pack underneath the hammock from pee bottle to cooking equipment and all the other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    I know this question is directed at Pat, but . . . .

Not a problem your input is needed

I've got a Clark NX-200. My BigAgnes sleeping bag requires the use of an airpad, but . . . . without adding anything to the pockets of the Clark . . . I notice that I start to get a little chilly if the temp gets below 45. That changes if I use an insulated air pad. And if I stuff the pockets . . . .

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    I know this question is directed at Pat, but . . . .

I've got a Clark NX-200. My BigAgnes sleeping bag requires the use of an airpad, but . . . . without adding anything to the pockets of the Clark . . . I notice that I start to get a little chilly if the temp gets below 45. That changes if I use an insulated air pad. And if I stuff the pockets . . . .
    Thought I should qualify my earlier statements.

My bag is a 15 degree down mummy.
    When in that 45 degree weather, I was wearing a pair of gym shorts and a thin t-shirt. The chill that crept in that weekend didn't inhibit my sleeping. It was just that I was aware of some cold spots (mostly where my air pad wasn't inflated enough). And again, that was without anything stuffed in the Clark pockets.
    It's tough to have these "how cold?" conversations on the internet.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Thought I should qualify my earlier statements.

My bag is a 15 degree down mummy.
    When in that 45 degree weather, I was wearing a pair of gym shorts and a thin t-shirt. The chill that crept in that weekend didn't inhibit my sleeping. It was just that I was aware of some cold spots (mostly where my air pad wasn't inflated enough). And again, that was without anything stuffed in the Clark pockets.
    It's tough to have these "how cold?" conversations on the internet.

No kidding I remember last winter when it did get cold out that everyone started posting there new low temps and man there were allot of them

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images

Exclamation Has the balance been tiped?

So let's try to tip the balance. Let's compare the total price and weight for as identical systems as possible.

-HH ULBA (with overcover, undercover, pad and new snakeskins): about 53oz and 375 USD
    -Speer (with snugfit, but without a overcover): about 67oz and 540 USD
    -JRB's bear mountain bridge (their complete three season set): 98oz and 799USD
    -Clark NA: about 47oz and 299 USD

I'm surprised, I really thought that the Clark was the most expensive of them all but it is in fact the cheapest option out there and is also the lightest

Can someone think of anything else that tips the balance in any other way? How is the craftsmanship of these hammocks? Comfort? Ease of setting up or tearing down? Bulk? Etc..

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I am sure that craftsmanship is going to be good with all that you have picked on your list. I am not sure but with most of those hammocks you have to have some kind of gear bag to keep all your stuff so it will be close by if you need something. The Clark as you pointed out earlier has the pockets are underneath you and you can get to them with out getting out. most of the three season hammocks say they are and in fact most people use them for three and even four seasons. But what stands out to me is the additional weather shield on the Clark you have two ways to combat Fog,rain,snow,wind, and the bugs, I must say that some people have felt claustrophobic with the weather shield up. But most people who have them have never had any problem with that. Those are some of the things I was looking at when I was shopping for a hammock and finally sold me on the Clark.

Like I have said before put to paper do your homework and buy what is right for you.
    after all if You do find the right hammock just look forward to hanging high and dry for a
    change and not sleeping on rocks roots and the like.

good luck

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Have I tipped the balance in favour of the Clark? Does it need more insulation than filling its pockets, or have I made a correct comparison?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Biomed View Post
    So let's try to tip the balance. Let's compare the total price and weight for as identical systems as possible.

-HH ULBA (with overcover, undercover, pad and new snakeskins): about 53oz and 375 USD
    -Speer (with snugfit, but without a overcover): about 67oz and 540 USD
    -JRB's bear mountain bridge (their complete three season set): 98oz and 799USD
    -Clark NA: about 47oz and 299 USD

I'm surprised, I really thought that the Clark was the most expensive of them all but it is in fact the cheapest option out there and is also the lightest

Can someone think of anything else that tips the balance in any other way? How is the craftsmanship of these hammocks? Comfort? Ease of setting up or tearing down? Bulk? Etc..
    I at one time owned a HH ULBA - the fact that I no longer own it speaks for itself. Of your list, I own a Clark NA and a JRB BMB Bridge.

Setup - hanging any hammock becomes easy if you convert the suspension to your own ideal suspension. I still have the stock Clark ropes, but have changed the JRB Bridge to a non-stretch system of Amsteel Blue and DIY Tree Huggers. I use the same tree huggers for all my hammocks. Setup is a wash, once you get used to it. Adding a UQ to any hammock also becomes a wash, once you do it a few times. I actually have been experimenting with serveral different UQ's for my Clark, which I think will drop my allowable temps to 0* with a suitable bag, and also still allow me to use the pockets. I have everything stuffed into a large "bishop" sack, so when I setup, I tie off the rope from one end to my tree hugger, walk to the next tree while unstuffing the hammock, then tie the other end. I even have tested with the UQ still attached - really makes life easy. Tear down is easy as well, just reverse the process. I leave the tarp attached, although I have extended the connectors between the tarp and the hammock body to allow hanging the tarp higher away from the hammock to create more head room.

Clark and JRB, made in the USA. The craftmanship on my Clark is excellent - I have no issues. JRB is also well made, but mine was a second hand from someone here on the forums, so I can't really comment on how it was new.

JRB - cold sleep without pads or undercovers - they are definitely needed. Clark, I have had no problem with no additions to the stock system. I used it at first with just a 0* bag, and zipped/unzipped to suit the weather. Once it got warm, I just switched to a lighter bag and left the weathershield unzipped and tucked away - did that just last night.

Comfort - JRB is very comfortable, you just have to have enough insulation. Allows a thinner person to sleep on side, back, even stomach if you wanted. Clark, I slept on my side last night. I love my Clark - IMO, most comfortable, complete hammock I have or have tested/owned. Clark has a little less room inside than the JRB, but most of the JRB room is the sidewalls, so what can you do with that?

Bulk - both the Clark and JRB pack down to about the same size. The JRB BMB has the poles that complicate the pack down otherwise it would be smaller. But add in the additional needs, and the Clark packs down smaller. Weight, I don't know about that - it's not a concern for me.

If I had it to do all over again and knowing what I know now, I would still buy a Clark, but I would get the NX-200. In camo, if available. My 2.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I will say that if you have a good bag and warm enough for the temps that your going you should only need the pad but having said that I still keep my jacket pants and shirt under there and all my other clothing which when backpacking is just one more day's worth of clothing and a fleece jacket so they go in the middle pockets on both side and I have also thought about changing to a blue walmart pad CCF and test it when it get's much colder than it is right now at night.

Chris those are really good question your asking keep them coming and I will do my best to answer and if not there are bound to be some other clark owners that can answer your question.

have good day

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I would get the NX-200. In camo, if available. My 2.
    Yes I have thought about selling my NA to recoupe the money to by a camo NX-200 but I have several friends that can't come up with the money to buy a hammock so I still need mine for my friends or son or girlfriend who needs one so maybe after this next six months of work I will be able to buy a camo one.

FishinFinn has allot of good information there and has several different types of hammocks to do his study on.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Thanks everyone for answering with such good answers! I really appreciate it. And please feel free to add some thoughts that I've maybe not considered.

Keep 'em coming!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast