I get it bad and have had it bad several times. On my last AT hike the stuff was thick but I was already hopped up on antihistamines due to seasonal allergies. I think this was all that kept me from swelling up and itching all over as I'm pretty sure I came in contact with it at least a bit. Without seeing the leaves I don't think you can make much of an ID though.
I picked up a tube of stuff called Zanfel. It's a cream that's supposed to neutralize the oils and give instant relief. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet though (thank God!!).
I've read that you either react to the stuff or you don't. Poison Ivy isn't poison in the regular sense. If you're not sensitive you could make a salad out of the stuff and be just fine. I've got a friend I've seen roll in it with no worse reaction than laying in fresh cut grass. I'm so jealous!!
Even the dead vines though have enough oil to do serious damage. My grandmother got a few lungfuls of the stuff as a kid where my grandpa was burning an old tree they cut down. Must have had a dead vine on there somewhere as she had blisters inside and out. If you're sensitive to it don't play around.