Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Poison ivy

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Apis View Post
    I eat the leaves every Spring (start small) to develop and maintain immunity. Alternatively, drink goats' milk - goats love to eat PI. Some caution required, but it's worked for me for the last 27 years. I used to get it bad. YMMV.

Don't do this. Anaphalaxis is not to be trifled with.

My sister once inhaled the smoke of a fire that had burning poison ivy in it. She was in hospital for a day to combat the resulting allergic reaction in her trachea. Mom had to bleach the walls of the house (smoke had entered the house), and deep clean all furniture and upholstery before she could come home from grandparents.
    Agreed. Don't do anything on my say so. I have also heard of the dangers of breathing smoke from burning poison ivy. If I had a patch I wanted to get rid of, I'd cover it with black plastic and leave if for a year, then plant something that competes well like lawn grass or comfrey.

But we're getting off topic again.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I am highly allergic to poison ivy. However, I haven't gotten a dose of it in nearly 20 years because I became more aware of where it grows and can avoid it. I'm a huge fan of blackberry picking in the summer and blackberries like the same areas that poison ivy does.

It seems that both blackberries and poison ivy thrive in areas of human disturbance, or on the edge of open areas. I'm no biologist/botanist, but I suspect that birds are the main propagators of both plants. They like to sit in trees near open areas, they crap, and spread the plants.

On a side note, I've always thought that poison ivy probably has medical applications, especially in the complexion/wrinkling field. Have you ever noticed, after a bout of poison ivy, how perfectly smooth the scarred area is? Poison ivy smooths the skin, and could possibly be used for wrinkle removal, to remove acne scars, etc. I got poison ivy on my face once. Though the rest of my face is pretty rugged, that particular scarred area is smooth as a baby's butt.

It's the equivalent of dermabrasion, in my opinion. While dermabrasion is not effective against deep wrinkles, poison ivy (or some dilution of it), might be more effective. I suspect poison ivy might be a little more painful than dermabrasion, though.

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    So how come, three weeks in, there are new blisters in the area around the original spot, which is scabbed and healing? Also, I did the wash yesterday of all my gear. Used technu first, but I don't think most of the gear got a good soaking. We'll see now.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double, DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not sure if it will work or not, but Dawn Dishwashing liquid may work.

I was an emt since 1986 and a Paramedic for about 10 years, We used to have to standby for law enforcement when they were training the rookie's. one of the qualifications to carry Pepper spray or Capsasin is to get sprayed with it.

we always used Dawn to clean up the rookie's and others that have been sprayed.

The spray is basically an Oil.

it may work, but then again I have been wrong before.

I'm highly allergic to poison ivy. I had a bad case 2 weeks ago got into it cleaning fence line out. 5 shots later I was alot better.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have poison ivy right now from a week ago, and it is driving me crazy. I now have another spot near where the other partially healed spot is.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have it too, it's starting to recede. I have to get out in the yard and pull a whole bunch of it out, not looking forward to it, but it's in a place where the pets can get in it and bring that oil back in the house on their fur.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I have it too, it's starting to recede. I have to get out in the yard and pull a whole bunch of it out, not looking forward to it, but it's in a place where the pets can get in it and bring that oil back in the house on their fur.
    Don't pull, spray! RoundUp by itself won't get the job done, but they make a formulation especially for PI that will. I use it all the time around the house.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'll have to check out that Technu stuff. The poison ivy in my yard has grown up and into some azaleas I'd like to keep, so I'm not sure spraying is an option. As far as pulling it, I may go down to the salvation army and buy some clothes to wear that I can get rid of afterwards. Also they sell cheap tyvek coveralls at Home Depot that might do the trick as well.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    All I can say is that the Technu work great! My wife gets poison ivy really bad, and this clears it right up. They even have a Technu Extreme, which is what I carry when she is with me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast