Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Shug using the environment to advantage, smart.
    And that extra piece of plastic probably weighs 0.025 ounce if that much and has many uses.

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    I think this is where the AARN pack front balance pockets come in very handy. I have a packa and just reach under and pull out the tarp and set it up.
    Wow...., I sent out this request last night and got a lot of responses. So far, the AARN pack is where I would see the best option. I am hiking with a set of RibzWear and an Osprey Pack and I will have to experiment with getting my 10 x 12 tarp inside one of these pockets. I am looking to purchase a Packa as I like the way it functions without creating pinch spots on the straps. I do not anticipate an AARN pack in my future, but great idea. Now the long term night thing....may go with a ridge line to hang the pack under the tarp. I just do not like anything touching the wet ground at all. That is the reason I went with a hammock in the first place.

Thanks all.

I have a pack liner, so anything that needs to stay dry goes in there, everything else can get wet (and most likely will)! So when I get to camp I take off my pack (since I have a rain jacket with me its either on or getting put on) then the tarp gets put up and secured down, straps get put on tree's, then everything else can be done from the confines of my tarp, nice and dry! I carry a piece of tyvek to set my pack on if it's muddy, as well as my shoes!

Sometimes I hang the pack on the hammock suspension at the head end, just depends on my mood (or laziness)....
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    I think this is where the AARN pack front balance pockets come in very handy. I have a packa and just reach under and pull out the tarp and set it up.
    The MMP front pack works well for this also. I have strapped a JRB tarp underneath the front pack's pocket. Whether using a Packa or regular rain gear, it is easy and quick to get to.

No matter how what you figure out to get 'er done, just be able to somehow reach your tarp without having to take the pack or rain gear off. Set up the tarp, then you are covered for all the other camp set up steps.
    If hiking with others, a fellow hiker might even be able to get at your tarp strapped onto your pack.

If hiking in an all day deluge, this can even come in handy for breaks. If you can quickly and conveniently get to the tarp, have every one pitch in and set up a group shelter so you can get out of the rain for lunch!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123