HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images

Question Help with modification for HH Hex tarp.

I've been wanting for some time to make a "small" mod to my hex tarp (70D PU-COATED POLYESTER RIPSTOP). I want to add side tie outs to be able to close one of the ends of the tarp (the head end). Im thinking kinda like the 8X10 speer cat tarp.
    I don't think its as simple as sewing hooks on the tarp (plastic rings, or just grossgrain). I've heard about seamsealing and other procedures additional for DIY tarps. Also, i guess id have to make reinforcement patches on the tarp for each tieouts.

So i was hoping you DIY experts could give me some guidance, please, as to what to have in mind with this mod.

Since its only to close one end, i'm thinking of putting the tieouts not in the middle (i mean not exactly in between the two side tieouts) but closer to the end to be closed. I know this way i wouldn't be able to completely close/join the ends as if they were centered (...not a concern, or should it be?, i just want this to give the area underneath the tarp a more "private feel" and block some wind ), and also i'm aware I would always have to match the tarp with the hammocks entrance (... not a concern as well since i'm also gonna make a 11 foot snake skin for the tarp, so id always feed the tarp into the snakskin through the same end of the SnSk(feed first the closable end of the tarp.).
    Im worried this mod isn't applicable to my hex tarp.. myabe it has to be CAt cut, or just have to make sure i properly reinforce the tieouts on the tarp.

HOpe im not asking too much, just want to be sure I make a high quality mod and you people have the experience. Thanks.
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 08-27-2008 at 08:06.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Tried just bringing the two corners at one end together to see how that "feels". If you bring the edges together at all up higher, what is gained by having the edges separated again at the corners?

I can picture this in my mind, but reality is often different from what I imagine !
    Grizz

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    you probably have to install extra tie outs on the bottom to be able to fold the ends to close it and not have the tarp in the shape of a triangle near the head (or is it what you want)
    as for sewing the tabs, 1/2 or 3/4 in grossgrain will suffice, if you can reinforce the area you want to have them, the better, I would use similar material to the tarp.
    how do you want to close the end, what type of closures?
    velcro, snaps, loop with rope and a cord lock?

hope it helps
    FRED

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Grizz,
    i have tried this setup showed on the second photo. but with only the four default tie outs its too narrow.

i wish to be able to do something more like the one on the first photo, as i say only for one end. i would use the corners tied together (problably use the cord or the weight-tensioner hooks) as on the 2nd pic and maybe if further needed put some tabs higher to close more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 08-26-2008 at 21:38.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    you probably have to install extra tie outs on the bottom to be able to fold the ends to close it and not have the tarp in the shape of a triangle near the head (or is it what you want)
    as for sewing the tabs, 1/2 or 3/4 in grossgrain will suffice, if you can reinforce the area you want to have them, the better, I would use similar material to the tarp.
    how do you want to close the end, what type of closures?
    velcro, snaps, loop with rope and a cord lock?

hope it helps
    FRED
    thanks Fred.

Those photos from BillyBob58's gallery are my "inspiration". I have tried the noah's pitch but it too narrow. and from messing arround with that pitch i found that two more points to pull out the tarp at each side would do the trick, kindof like the tie outs for the 8x10 speer's cat tarp (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm)

btw, do i need any special kind of stitch? im using a 43 or 69 (not sure) polyester thread with the dial of the stiches lenght between 3 and 4.
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 08-27-2008 at 10:40.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    sorry if im overposting here...
    i just saw these pics (first two at bottom of post). This is what i would like to come near to accomplishing, but with as less sewing work having to be made to the tarp as possible. But thinking on what Grizz said, im now not really sure how much better my idea would be of just sewing extra tieouts. I was hoping to get something like what is shown on the pictures of the 8x10 speer tarp (third pic)... even thogh the hex tarp wouldn't allow to close it that much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts