Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings

Shining Rock Wilderness Trip Report

This was a short trip I made with 2 very inexperienced backpackers in last July.

Day 1:

We started off the Parkway at Graveyard fields and hiked up to Second Falls. From there we hike back to graveyard fields and hiked towards shining rock. (I apologize i don't remember the name of the trails) The hike was beautiful leaving graveyard fields and was very easy to follow. Hanger's be warned there are very few hammock hanging spots once you leave graveyard fields, the under growth was very think where there were trees and then on the balds there were obviously no trees to hang from. We were heading for Ivestor Gap near Black Balsam knob and the intersection with the Art Loeb Trail.

When we reached the gap we I was getting pretty nervous about finding a place to hand but just up the Art Loeb on the slope of Black Balsam Knob was a small grove of pine trees that made a great campsite for both tents and hammocks. It was sheltered and had great places to cook and hang bear bags. I loved this campsite with all its "amenities" it also had wonderful views of both Mt. Pisgah and too many other peaks to count in 2 directions.

Day 2:

We got up and packed up camp and headed for shining rock on the Art Loeb trail. The hike was pretty flat and not all that long, but at the intersection with several other trails it gets very confusing to be careful and mindful of where you are at this point. Most people I have talked to have become confused at this point. Note there were plenty of campsites here all seemed conducive to hanging. We got our bearings and went up to the top of shining rock and took in the views. From there my two partners decided they didn't want to hike the planned route for the day and were about done. We decided to head back to Ivestor Gap and camped there again for the afternoon and night.

Day 3:

We broke camp and set out to return to Graveyard Fields. Another great day and completed a short but enjoyable hike.

Happy Hiking

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've not been through graveyard fields but I've herd that it's a nice hike w/ quite a few water sources if I'm remembering correctly.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I've not been through graveyard fields but I've herd that it's a nice hike w/ quite a few water sources if I'm remembering correctly.
    There is plenty of water in Graveyard fields and you pass a few sources before you get to Ivestor Gap but once there I did not see any within a 2 miles of that campsite. I believe someone said there was some near shining rock but I did not see it.

Great place though, it is highly referenced in Charles Frazier's Thirteen Moons if you have ever read that as well as Cold Mountain as it is not far from Shining Rock.

• + New Posts