Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post

When you get into deep winter, a hammock sock is the way to go and forego the tarp altogether. Do a search for hammock socks and you find out all about them. Medicine Man did a video of the Roan High Knob hang back in February this year. None of the tarps handled the wind very well, but his sock did great.
    These look amazing! Is their a DIY guide for one somewhere on here? I didn't see one in the stickies.

Tarps look risky to me (albeit I haven't hammock camped any yet). If the trees you find happen point you in the wrong direction, and if the ground is either too hard or too soft... Can still be done, but with much frustration I'd imagine

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

hammock doors

Look for plans for winter hammock tarps with doors, especially at backwoodsdaydreamer, then try folding in the end fabric on your big Gear Guide tarp to close the open ends. That perceived problem with open-ended tarps has already been addressed by others.

Also, winter tarps are likely to have side pullouts to deal with side winds when the tarp was intentionally pitched crosswise to the wind. Some here have adapted their tarps to use tent poles that are positioned to strengthen the sides for those cross breezes. 2QZQ does those mods for others.

No one person here knows everything, but as a group we have a tremendous amount of specialized knowledge and the experiences of dealing with hanging related problems. Why re-invent the wheel when you can just ask here about how others have dealt with a specific situation?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
    These look amazing! Is their a DIY guide for one somewhere on here? I didn't see one in the stickies.

Tarps look risky to me (albeit I haven't hammock camped any yet). If the trees you find happen point you in the wrong direction, and if the ground is either too hard or too soft... Can still be done, but with much frustration I'd imagine
    Pretty much everyone carries a tarp, now they may not set it up everything time... But you should have one unless you know with 110% certainty there will be no bad weather... I carry its 1lb weight and judge rather I need it or not as the night goes on... Last time I was awoken by a flash in the distance about midnight and saw a storm coming, got up pitched tarp and crawled back in bed, other wise I was enjoying the stars...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12