Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad

Overnight at browning hill turned dayhike

Headed out Saturday for what was supposed to be an overnight on Browning Hill in the Hoosier National Forest. The plan was to hike as far down as possible, then turn back and reach browning hill by 730 or 8. That went to plan and I ended up putting in some decent mileage. I didn't make it to the south parking lot, but I think I was close. Anyway, a bunch of stuff went wrong and I think I made the right decision to call off the overnight.

1. Not enough water. I hike with my dog, and I thought one liter for him and three for me would be enough. No water on the trail, so I had to haul it. It was just enough to get back to the car, but the headaches were setting in around that time. Oh, and turns out the monster needed more than 1 liter.

2. Locals. For a hill that overlooks a ghost town, browning hill is remarkably populated. There were some people coming up from the west who seemed kinda ticked that I was on the hill. Seeing as I was solo, I didn't want to be there when they got to the top.

3. Campfire ban. We have a drought here, so no open fires. The bugs were taking full advantage.

4. The ticks. Really, REALLY bad. Every 10 minutes, I had to stop and pick them off. When I got home, I picked 23 off my dog. I know I have a day or two to get them off before Lyme disease becomes a concern, but I just couldn't leave him like that.

So lessons learned: when you're going solo, don't plan to reach your site as the sun's setting. Allow a couple hours to scout around. Also, I'm just not going to have a good time hauling a ton of water. Gonna stick to trails where I know I can get it. Those 4 liters added 10lbs to my pack, and even that wasn't enough for my dog and I. Hiking with a beast does complicate things a bit, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Water weight is killer... That's why I have a 15 lb day pack and a 25 lb over night pack... 10 lbs of water will kill your pack weight... Did you at least have fun?
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad
    Yeah, that's pretty much where I was yesterday. 16lbs base, 26 w water.

Definitely a good trip and one I'll hopefully make for the next hoosier hang.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    That had to be a hot hike,,as yesterday,,I had 93 degrees, 50% humidity with the dew point at 63,,,and at 10pm last nite was still 82 degrees for a hang..Glad you got out at least. Go south to the mts. and hit the elevation where its cooler if you have the time. Gas is way cheaper the farther you go south to Tenn. as well.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Too bad you had to bail but yeah ya need that water. Why would the others be ticked you were there? Thats weird.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Too bad you had to bail but yeah ya need that water. Why would the others be ticked you were there? Thats weird.
    Not sure; probably wanted it to themselves. I heard one of them yell that somebody [me] was up there. Either way, there were a bunch of shotgun shells on the hill, so being solo, I wasn't going to hang around to find out. Ha! Hang.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by crashvandicoot View Post
    ...Either way, there were a bunch of shotgun shells on the hill...
    Ya got to love the trash left behind that will still be there for a couple of hundred years.

• + New Posts