Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp
    Nice Weight, Sorry I just watched the "GoLite Lighten Up!" video so I am going to apply some of what I have just learned.

I'm thinking you may save 3 ounces by dropping your sleep socks, sleep in the socks your going to hike in the next day while the others dry out over those socks. 3 ounces for an extra shirt, after that many miles aren't you going to stink regardless of which shirt you have on? 5 ounces for shorts? Aren't there lighter shorts out there for less? Cheap basketball shorts cut and sealed to your preferred length. I never could understand rain pants. When my hiking pants are wet my legs don't feel any colder than normal. Plus you have to actually put them on in the rain which means stopping and more weight. The snow stake for trowel yes it is Ti but you could replace one of your TI stakes for your tarp with a TI Y stake which digs just as well or use a stick. I stopped carrying a purpose trowel a couple of trips ago and haven't missed it at all. Correct me if I am wrong but that trail looks like it has plenty of usage and lots of access points. What do you need a full compass for? You could easily navigate without it and if you wanted something a bit smaller go with one of those button compasses and that's another 1.2 ounces off. Wouldn't a small zip lock baggy weight less than your already light cuben fiber wallet? I'm not sure what the Platypus scoop is for, since your so light why not use your cooking pot as your scoop or your cuben fiber rain mitts turned inside out?

Any how thank you for letting me/ providing me an opportunity to guiltlessly examine someone else's kit and apply things I should really apply to my own set up which right now is much more heavy than this one.

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by bgraybackpacker View Post
    Nice Weight, Sorry I just watched the "GoLite Lighten Up!" video so I am going to apply some of what I have just learned.

I'm thinking you may save 3 ounces by dropping your sleep socks, sleep in the socks your going to hike in the next day while the others dry out over those socks. This is a good idea. extra cloths have always been the bane of my decisions as I tend to wear the same thing the whole time and just stink, it doesn't bother me. I will probably get rid of most of the extra shirts and shorts before the trip3 ounces for an extra shirt, after that many miles aren't you going to stink regardless of which shirt you have on? 5 ounces for shorts? Aren't there lighter shorts out there for less? Cheap basketball shorts cut and sealed to your preferred length. I never could understand rain pants. When my hiking pants are wet my legs don't feel any colder than normal. Plus you have to actually put them on in the rain which means stopping and more weight. If you waited to put them on until it was raining then I agree they are useless. Rain gear is another area that bothers me as you only need it for rain, but the golite gear is so light I can justify it as wind and rain gear and use it if it should turn cold and breezyThe snow stake for trowel yes it is Ti but you could replace one of your TI stakes for your tarp with a TI Y stake which digs just as well or use a stick. I stopped carrying a purpose trowel a couple of trips ago and haven't missed it at all. What would you use at night if all your stakes are in use by your tarp? but since it is the woods, there is always a good size stick around- point well takenCorrect me if I am wrong but that trail looks like it has plenty of usage and lots of access points. What do you need a full compass for? You could easily navigate without it and if you wanted something a bit smaller go with one of those button compasses and that's another 1.2 ounces off. Lots of illegal ATV activity along the trail, so a compass comes in handy and I would never go into the woods without a map and compass, just habitWouldn't a small zip lock baggy weight less than your already light cuben fiber wallet? The cuben is lighter, but at a premium price- can't help supporting some of the companies with good service! I'm not sure what the Platypus scoop is for, since your so light why not use your cooking pot as your scoop or your cuben fiber rain mitts turned inside out?if they creek is low the scoop helps put water into a 2L bag when normall you can't put the entire bag into the water in order for it to fill. I don't like cross contaminating my cooking and eating gear with untreated water. I have a tender stomach and it has just been experience to keep stuff as clean as possible

Any how thank you for letting me/ providing me an opportunity to guiltlessly examine someone else's kit and apply things I should really apply to my own set up which right now is much more heavy than this one.
    Thanks for the thoughtful evaluation, I will look into each of those suggestions.
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Excellent list, and good luck on the hike. I am planning to hike the Tom Sauk section of the OT this fall sometime.
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Quote Originally Posted by bgraybackpacker View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but that trail looks like it has plenty of usage and lots of access points. What do you need a full compass for? You could easily navigate without it and if you wanted something a bit smaller go with one of those button compasses and that's another 1.2 ounces off.
    I also am a kinda noob to this but I personally will ALWAYS carry a full Silva Ranger compass, regardless of the terrain, and it always goes around my neck, 1.2 ounces isn't worth not coming home because I got lost and my button compass flaked out...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Excellent list, and good luck on the hike. I am planning to hike the Tom Sauk section of the OT this fall sometime.
    I need to get down and see that section since it has been re-opened. it is on the incomplete loop of the OT that I won't be taking.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaiolo81 View Post
    I also am a kinda noob to this but I personally will ALWAYS carry a full Silva Ranger compass, regardless of the terrain, and it always goes around my neck, 1.2 ounces isn't worth not coming home because I got lost and my button compass flaked out...
    I agree- IMO- no one should be able to use a GPS until they master map and compass-knowing your location, adds confidence that can go a long way in the woods

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    That looks like a blast. Ya-no, why carry a pack. Theres enough of us HF members, we could just stage along the trail Kinda like a triathlon.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by fuhgawee View Post
    That looks like a blast. Ya-no, why carry a pack. Theres enough of us HF members, we could just stage along the trail Kinda like a triathlon.
    I would love to slack pack this- I am getting old!...

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    How do you like the "Raptors?" I have the Electron's and love them.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    How do you like the "Raptors?" I have the Electron's and love them.

Fronkey
    I like mine very much, great under foot support

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12