Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

Making Hammocks isn't cheap!

I have been testing out a lot of hammocks in my series 12 months in a hammock on youtube. I thought to myself, "self, you should try to make one of these camping hammocks, everyone says it is pretty cheap". So I looked into getting all the materials and discovered it is not that cheap in fact it is kind of expensive.

A question for all you hammock companies out there, how do you sell your products at the prices you do? Do you purchase everything at a fraction of the cost?

When I go to local fabric stores I am looking at 100$ just for ripstop. I am in Canada so I don't know if maybe it is cheaper to get these supplies in the states.

Does anyone have any advise or tips on how to find cheap suplies for hammock making? or a list of wholesale suppliers?

Thanks

Hammock
    HH Explorer deluxe & WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG 0° Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies or ropes
    A question for all you hammock companies out there, how do you sell your products at the prices you do?
    I always amazes me too. I came to the conclusion that cottage manufacturers are mutants who can thrive just on fresh air…

Sorry, I can't help you, I have the same problem here in Switzerland.

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    It's where you're shopping. If you buy from Backwoods Daydreamer you can get enough ripstop for a 1.1 oz double layer for about $25. Suspension if you make it yourself is about $20.

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by BackPackHiker View Post
    I have been testing out a lot of hammocks in my series 12 months in a hammock on youtube. I thought to myself, "self, you should try to make one of these camping hammocks, everyone says it is pretty cheap". So I looked into getting all the materials and discovered it is not that cheap in fact it is kind of expensive.

A question for all you hammock companies out there, how do you sell your products at the prices you do? Do you purchase everything at a fraction of the cost?

When I go to local fabric stores I am looking at 100$ just for ripstop. I am in Canada so I don't know if maybe it is cheaper to get these supplies in the states.

Does anyone have any advise or tips on how to find cheap suplies for hammock making? or a list of wholesale suppliers?

Thanks
    Economies of scale, buying materials directly from suppliers, no big stores with large staff and overhead, etc. When I was starting my DIY materials purchasing, I looked into buying locally. (Fabricland, etc.) Nope. Prices here were 5 to 10 times higher than ordering from DIY Gear Supply including shipping to Canada from the States, so I bought (and continue to buy) the vast majority of my supplies from there.

The only exception to that rule was that buying down from Feather Industries in Ontario was cheaper per oz. than getting it shipped from the States.

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    You can start to get wholesale pricing on fabric at the 1 roll mark at some places now. Of course the accounts, shipping and research can really add up if you're only going to buy 1 roll at a time. On larger orders of some materials I have seen pricing close to 25% of retail. Stores like joanns, fabricland, Hancock all have overhead and get their fabric from a central warehouse with overhead and the warehouse gets it from the mill. Sure is nice to buy mill direct. Most of the cottage vendors here likely buy from a clearing house. Clearing houses buy a standard set of fabric from mills to maintain a relationship and then purchase mill overruns at deep discounts. With that strategy and minimal overhead they typically are able to offer 50-60% of retail pricing on orders like 1 roll.

Mill direct usually takes 1-2 thousand meters minimum per color though for most synthetics. So I doubt many cottage vendors do that.

I will say that even at Hancock in my area a hammock is like $30 in ripstop. Maybe that bolt was mis marked.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I am just getting onto making stuff... I bought my hammock from www.tableclothfactory.com free shipping and a 10% coupon was less than $12 for the hammock itself... The rest of the stuff, bug net shock cord for making my top entry bugnet and premade whoopies, and enough quality poly string to redo my ridge line and tie outs my next order is about $60 or so... And that's with a lot of material left over... I think its just where you are shopping...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

I made a $12 138"X58" hemmed, gathered end hammock from Nylon Ripstop (unknown weight) with fabric from Hancock and a 50% off cupon.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It also depends on what you are looking for...

Grand Trunk has a hammock for 19.99. You still have to add the suspension. Admittedly it is not for everyone. Kind of short at 9.5' but the price is hard to beat for a commercial piece of kit. Not saying you can't do it on the cheap. But if that's all you want there are commercial options.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Crinkled Taffeta
    Tarp
    Under Construction
    Insulation
    Under Construction
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I am just getting onto making stuff... I bought my hammock from www.tableclothfactory.com free shipping and a 10% coupon was less than $12 for the hammock itself... The rest of the stuff, bug net shock cord for making my top entry bugnet and premade whoopies, and enough quality poly string to redo my ridge line and tie outs my next order is about $60 or so... And that's with a lot of material left over... I think its just where you are shopping...
    +1

I have a 156" by 90" beast I made for about $30 including ridge-line and suspension.

It's the table cloth for the fabric and then mule tape and amsteel for everything else. I also went the more webbing and less amsteel approach to save some cost.

If I got a smaller size hammock and used mule tape, I could probably get it down to $20.

The real problem is that once you start buying AmSteel, it's hard to stop...

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BackPackHiker View Post

Thanks
    As you've discovered, fabric in Canada isn't cheap. I've ordered material from DIYGearSupply / BackwoodsDayDreamer at pretty reasonable prices even including shipping. Many of the Southern Ontario DIYers get their fabric from Lens Mill.

Good luck with your projects.

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast