Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner

Questions for those who switched...

...from the HHSS to a UQ/TQ setup.

I'd really like to hear how it went for you, what you see as the real benefit of going from the HHSS to the UQ/TQ setup, and whether or not you felt it was worth the investment.

I've been using the HHSS on my HH ED for the last year...been out in weather down to about 20deg F with some gusty winds, and it worked fine for me. I've yet to actually put the overcover on.

I've been kicking some money back and am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a 20 deg UQ/TQ combo from one of the local vendors...but I also have to admit I'm a little unsure as I've not really had any true problems with the HHSS setup.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If it ain't broke....

Don't get mo wrong, I'm all for giving the cottage folks money for anything useful. OTOH I would find something else I needed more. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    The SS works. However, it isn't as warm nor resilient to movement within the hammock as a UQ. I find the UQ much easier to pack up, and slightly easier to set up.

I haven't tried it, but using the Hennessy OCF pad with an Underquilt might make a very warm setup...

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Any thoughts on the comparison between the two as far as bulk or weight?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    ...from the HHSS to a UQ/TQ setup.

I'd really like to hear how it went for you, what you see as the real benefit of going from the HHSS to the UQ/TQ setup, and whether or not you felt it was worth the investment.

I've been using the HHSS on my HH ED for the last year...been out in weather down to about 20deg F with some gusty winds, and it worked fine for me. I've yet to actually put the overcover on.

I've been kicking some money back and am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a 20 deg UQ/TQ combo from one of the local vendors...but I also have to admit I'm a little unsure as I've not really had any true problems with the HHSS setup.

Thoughts?
    Well, I switched but I still use both, so can I give useful answers? Don't know. I've actually been a little schizophrenic about it. ( also hard to get in the frame of mind for this discussion: outside thermometer- with all the reflection from the driveway and brick- is showing 109F( probably actually bout 101F), and tomorrow it is supposed to be an actual 104! And probably humid also! )

Worth the investment, for me? Probably not, except for just the pleasure of playing with and experimenting with high quality gear, and the ability to use other hammocks besides my Explorer UL.

When I say "probably not worth it", that is not because the other gear I have tried was bad expensive for the benefits supplied, but simply because I would have done just fine sticking with the HHSS. It was- as it has been for you- getting the job done for me. And I probably never even did as well as you. You say you have "been out in weather down to about 20deg F with some gusty winds". Was that with the basic HHSS, just the one pad and maybe a space blanket? Well if so, how are you going to beat that with a full length down UQ weight wise? And were the winds getting past your tarp? If so, I don't think you can match it at the same weight, and forget price. That is where the HHSS is unique- if you are one of the folks that it works as advertised for, like me and apparently you: significant wind and extra wind blown moisture protection is built into the weight and price. The base HHSS #1 weighs 16 oz, then add 2-3 oz for a space blanket, and you have been warm at about 20? A 40F rated down UQ is probably going to weigh very nearly that much, and a 20F probably a few oz more. And if you are using a small diamond tarp like the HH, how are you going to keep the wind off of them?

Plus, as I learned all about how to maximize my HHSS by adding whatever I did not sleep in into the UC, I was getting better and better at going colder and colder. You can really give the HHSS a big boost by using that trick, and IF you have warm clothing you won't be sleeping in. So I often wonder why I ever bothered going the down route.

But I do suspect that, the colder it gets, the more advantage weight wise the down approach has, and it is more convenient than adding stuff to the HHSS. And has allowed me to go to non-HH hammocks. My 1st step into the non-HHSS world was a Speer PeaPod. I fell in love with that- especially in combination with my Claytor No Net which allowed the top to lay down pretty close to my body, and it is still a go to favorite. It weighs about the same as my HHSS plus my Golight Ultra 20 ( now rated at 40! ) TQ. For me, the Pod is warmer on the bottom, the other warmer on the top unless I add some clothing to fill in with the pod, or close it all the way.

Did I need it or does it have some huge advantage over the HHSS? Not really. Still, there is just something very attractive about that PeaPod. It's big advantage is being draft proof compared to a top quilt, plus a huge amount of built in head insulation. But I am always a little more worried about moisture than with the HHSS, and I MUST have a bigger, heavier tarp or UQ protector/sock to even be able to hope to be as wind and moisture proof. That wind proof advantage of the SS is what is usually overlooked. But in my experience, it is a biggy. I have had all night winds blowing right in the ends- could not choose different trees that night and was stuck with that exposure- using that tiny tarp and the wind was not even a factor except for noise. I have wondered how that windy night would have been with a down UQ? Every one was sure I was going to freeze to death, but I was toasty. Kind of deaf from wind noise/flapping tarp, but toasty.

I am writing this as someone the SS has always worked for. For those that it does not work for all of that is irrelevant.

Also, I really like my JRB bridge hammock, and often choose it for a trip. Obviously, no HHSS on that hammock, or PeaPod either. Fortunately, the MW4UQ works to perfection with that hammock, every time. Just have to make sure I keep the wind and moisture off of it. It weighs about 6 oz more than the HHSS, but is rated to about zero. I could never be warm that low in my base HHSS. I also have an 21 oz MW3, rated to maybe 20-25F and. I think it is warmer than my HHSS for about the same weight ( for me the base HHSS is for about 30 or above, but you are doing 20F?), but not a lot, and again there is that wind thing.

See above re: weight. Less bulk with the down UQs, but the HHSS will compress down surprisingly small.

Where things get interesting is with the shorter UQs used with a pad or your pack for the legs. Especially if you always have a minimal pad with you anyway. Probably with this approach you can really save some weight and bulk. But probably still will need a larger tarp. But, if you already like and use larger tarps?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-28-2012 at 16:23.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    My 3/4 underquilt, pad, and TQ are slightly larger than the HHSS. However, they are much warmer. I don't have to fight with an UQ to get it packed, but my HHSS is a struggle each time. I know some folks just throw the HHSS in their pack, but this makes it much bulkier than an UQ.

Again, the HHSS works fine. But, I prefer the UQ because it envelopes me and creates a cocoon of warmth versus a warm pad underneath. Often I can go without a TQ because my UQ is so warm. Of course, I have extra clothes and a hot water bottle.

I'm glad I have the HHSS. Now I don't have the same question you are asking now. I know that I prefer a UQ by far, although the HHSS never failed me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    See, now this is why I love HF!!!

Some seriously thoughtful and thought provoking answers.

So the two nights that Weasel and I spent out at the KC area this past Jan, both nights it got down to around 20-22F, and the winds were 20-25mph gusts.

And as mentioned, I did use the HHSS undercover, pad, and space blanket. Inside, I used a 20 deg synthetic bag, and a fleece blanket. Worn clothing was some winter weight baselayers, clean dry wool socks, and a wool buff on my head.

Tarp was a standard HH hex. It was setup so that it was blocking the vast majority of the wind.

Wind shouldn't be an issue for me going forward...I've got a unique mod to my hex tarp. Had silnylon doors added, but then asked 2QZQ to add velcro closures to them so that I can completely close up the tarp in very windy/stormy weather.

I do like the thoughts ya'll have given me about whether or not I should do this purchase.

The one other advantage I gain, that I've not mentioned, is something else I'm considering. My wife has been out one night hammock camping...loved it, but we don't have sufficient insulation for her.

My thought is that she can use the TQ/UQ combo in the weather she'll camp out with me (spring/fall) while I stick with the HHSS. During the REALLY cold weather I can take the UQ/TQ as well, since she'll be at home for that.

Wonder if the underpad would add anything under the hammock, on top of a UQ?

Given that, I might even be able to go lower yet.

Again...thanks for the thoughts guys!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    My 3/4 underquilt, pad, and TQ are slightly larger than the HHSS. However, they are much warmer. I don't have to fight with an UQ to get it packed, but my HHSS is a struggle each time. I know some folks just throw the HHSS in their pack, but this makes it much bulkier than an UQ.

Yep that's what I have often done. Sometimes even leaving the TQ inside the hammock, and stuffing the entire thing into the pack. At least I have done that before I cut the net off my old Explorer. But leaving the quilt in doesn't work so good without a net! And it does take up a lot of the pack until I compress it down, but so do mt PeaPod or UQs.

I have done it that way or two others. Method two:

Here in a big stuff sack that only compresses from the sides ( with a good compression stuff sack I could get this a good bit smaller) I had all of the following:
    1: one HHSS overcover and undercover with
    2: OCF pad
    3: plus kidney/torso pads,
    4: a space blanket,
    5: one HH Explorer UL hammock,
    6: and one Golight Ultra20 TQ! Whew!

This worked good strapped to my MMP. After I tie one end to the tree and walk towards the other tree pulling it all out of the sack and strapping to the other tree, it is all set up for sleep except for the tarp, which is probably already pitched before hand.

The other technique I have used is to remove the OCF pad and TQ, place them in a compression dry sack, and compress it down. Then, I very quickly close up the hammock and UC into snake skins, as I do the tarp in another set of skins. This was really quick.

I don't know, all of the above seems pretty quick to me. I'm not sure I can get my huge thick PeaPod or separate TQ/UQ combos into sacks, and back out onto the hammocks, any faster or easier. But that's just me, plus I have not timed it. Although I often do leave my PeaPod closed around the hammock and stuff it all into one sack, just like the HHSS. Still, getting all of that huge thick loft compressed down into stuff sacks can be it's own challenge!

BTW, just for the heck of it one time I put my OCF pad and undercover back into the sack they came in. I would never do this in the field. Once the HHSS is set up, it stays on the hammock. Or at most I remove the pad only and put it into a large compression dry sack. I just did this to see if could. It was not easy. But as you can see, it compresses down pretty small for a pad plus undercover ( wind/weather shield). Owl, if you are getting ~ 20F out of your HHSS and are warm enough, and if for comparison you want to use a 20F UQ, I'm not sure how much smaller it will compress down than this pad and UC. Maybe a little. Now my Golight UQ will pack down significantly smaller than that, but these days Golight calls it a 40F quilt.

Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-28-2012 at 21:12.

Images
    See, now this is why I love HF!!!

Some seriously thoughtful and thought provoking answers.

So the two nights that Weasel and I spent out at the KC area this past Jan, both nights it got down to around 20-22F, and the winds were 20-25mph gusts.

And as mentioned, I did use the HHSS undercover, pad, and space blanket. Inside, I used a 20 deg synthetic bag, and a fleece blanket. Worn clothing was some winter weight baselayers, clean dry wool socks, and a wool buff on my head.

Tarp was a standard HH hex. It was setup so that it was blocking the vast majority of the wind.

Wind shouldn't be an issue for me going forward...I've got a unique mod to my hex tarp. Had silnylon doors added, but then asked 2QZQ to add velcro closures to them so that I can completely close up the tarp in very windy/stormy weather.

I do like the thoughts ya'll have given me about whether or not I should do this purchase.

The one other advantage I gain, that I've not mentioned, is something else I'm considering. My wife has been out one night hammock camping...loved it, but we don't have sufficient insulation for her.

My thought is that she can use the TQ/UQ combo in the weather she'll camp out with me (spring/fall) while I stick with the HHSS. During the REALLY cold weather I can take the UQ/TQ as well, since she'll be at home for that.
    Well that sounds like a good enough rationalization to me! Get you a nice down UQ and enjoy it! That's what I did!

Wonder if the underpad would add anything under the hammock, on top of a UQ?

Given that, I might even be able to go lower yet.

Again...thanks for the thoughts guys!
    It probably would, but: if you get one of the dif cut UQs, which are meant to be pulled snug, you would have to be careful not to snug enough to flatten the HH pad.

But another thought: have you thought about seeing how low you can push your HHSS? Consider looking into the HH kidney/torso pads. Cheap and light, ~ 4 oz, they give a considerable boost right where you need it most. And if I am out in winter, I usually have some clothing for camp wear that I don't plan to sleep in. You would be amazed at how much a zipped up( for a double layer ) fleece jacket or down vest placed under the HH pad will boost that HHSS. Or just buy a good down UQ like my JRB MWs, or from one of the other fine vendors - and enjoy all of that puffy down and be done with it! If you decide it's not worth it, you can always resell it here!

Owl, at 22F, how were you in the SS? Barely warm enough on your back, or plenty warm, or what? Did you have much condensation? You mentioned a fleece blanket. Were you laying on that?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well that sounds like a good enough rationalization to me! Get you a nice down UQ and enjoy it! That's what I did!
    LOL...pretty much! =-)

Owl, at 22F, how were you in the SS? Barely warm enough on your back, or plenty warm, or what? Did you have much condensation? You mentioned a fleece blanket. Were you laying on that?
    I was inside the 20 deg synthetic sleeping bag, with it unzipped. The fleece blanket was mostly on top of my...sometimes under my head/arms/shoulders. I side sleep and turn over, so I do have a lot of issues with anything under me moving around.

I've never had noticeable condensation with the HHSS/space blanket combo below 30 deg. Now, I've also never tried using the overcover yet...although I have one.

I was toasty enough to sleep well...was the last person to wake up that particular hang...LOL. There weren't any cold spots on my back that I noticed...but remember, I was using a synthetic bag, so that was also underneath me to some degree.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast