Hammock
    TW-Military
    Tarp
    TW-Ultralite
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Loopy Line
    @hayaku besides looking nice and neat you can used the single line where the bury is to tie the shackle to a ridge line (or other) with a prussic knot.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hayaku View Post
    besides being more streamlined and stronger overall, is there a reason why soft shackles are buried brummel loops (spliced and buried) with a stopper knot versus a typical sliding loop and a stopper knot? that is, if both shackle types can handle the hammock use load easily...

under tension, the buried brummel types add more friction and holds tighter based on the constriction of the other layer across the entire buried length. whereas, a sliding knot will not have full constriction over the lenght of the rope/cord, just the point of the knot itself. so the brummel is stronger, but do you really need all that strength when the rope (ie: amsteel) is rated at 1200+ lbs and you are only putting ~150-250 lbs of stress on it?

just theorizing for hammock use.. its quicker to tie a sliding knot shackle vs splicing a burmmel type shackle... just trying to find out other reasons for it...
    I use both---the technique pointed out by the OP when I'm not going to need to undo it often or under load, e.g., the suspension triangle on my bridge hammocks is a single length of cord with the locking loops, the diamond knots they slide over are at the corners of the hammock. But where I'm frequently attaching and detaching the connection, the sliding loop is a lot easier to undo. Not sure there's a great deal of difference strength-wise, the biggest difference seems to be that the locked loop closes down and around the stem of the diamond knot. And there is something to be said for that, all other things being equal.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Looks good! Going to give this one a go!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I use both---the technique pointed out by the OP when I'm not going to need to undo it often or under load, e.g., the suspension triangle on my bridge hammocks is a single length of cord with the locking loops, the diamond knots they slide over are at the corners of the hammock. But where I'm frequently attaching and detaching the connection, the sliding loop is a lot easier to undo. Not sure there's a great deal of difference strength-wise, the biggest difference seems to be that the locked loop closes down and around the stem of the diamond knot. And there is something to be said for that, all other things being equal.
    thanks.. that's what i thought...

Quote Originally Posted by gd___
    @hayaku besides looking nice and neat you can used the single line where the bury is to tie the shackle to a ridge line (or other) with a prussic knot.
    you can tie a prusik knot using a shackle made with a sliding loop as well. you just have a bigger "knot" end. a continous loop (both ends spliced into itself) would make the smallest profile and cleanest looking prusik without any knots exposed.
    Last edited by hayaku; 06-26-2012 at 13:10.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Ditto on the diamond knot - one of my least favorite knots. I'm gonna have to give this one a try though.
    After making my first 3 I have to agree completely! I'll tell you what I agree that it will make your fingers hurt. What I had trouble with was figuring out my length of cord was in order to make a specific size loop. I went with 29in of 7/64.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chug View Post
    I made one.. Fingernails sore now.. still new to burying the rope. Shesh tying Or attempting to make that diamond knot with the Small strings.. ugh I made a carbon knot instead of a diamond. ;-).

I used the 1/8" Amesteel. It's rated for 2,500 lbs. SO, What is the working load on one of these things now??. 1,000 To be safe!...
    Alan Edward has a whole section or three devoted to testing at www.l-36.com . Very much work some time, in the old amateur science mode. If you have tied the diamond knot well then the puzzle for Edwards is how close you can get to 10,000 lb. Not a mis-type: The cord is doubled, and the load is carried on two legs. Alas, there are serious losses;. While the diamond knot is big, it is full of sharp turns and wraps and does involve just the two ends of one rope.

Read Edwards for the set-up in testing, but IIRC, figure on just a 20% increase in breaking strength of the soft shackle over the bs of the cord it is made of: Say 3000lb for 1/8" Amsteel Blue.......against which you will apply a safe multiplier (as divisor.)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Thats how the Whoopie Slings tarp line soft shackle prussics are made. They have been making them like that for almost 2 years.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chug View Post
    I made one.. Fingernails sore now.. still new to burying the rope. Shesh tying Or attempting to make that diamond knot with the Small strings.. ugh I made a carbon knot instead of a diamond. ;-).

I used the 1/8" Amesteel. It's rated for 2,500 lbs. SO, What is the working load on one of these things now??. 1,000 To be safe!...
    Multiply the minimum strength of the line by 1.6 and you'll have a tensile number for your shackle.

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    wow great info thx... Makes me want to make more of those soft shackles now..

I like the video of the testing they show.. Fellow really added some High pressure to the line, soft shackle held.

Linky:http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_testing_1.php

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    If you're looking for simplicity, why not use the method used when I introduced them. Picture below is how I tie almost all of mine. This is the original "kohlhoff loop." In the link in the OP, stop at the first picture and tie the knot.

If you're burying part of the tail, you're only doing it for looks. If you're using the one Colgate Marine made the video of, that's a different story because its a different shackle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast