Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

Grand Trunk Skeeter Ultralight for Newbie

Hi there,

New to hammock camping. I backpack quite a bit in the northeast. Currently use a UL tent and in the areas I go flat spots are hard to find unless it is a designated area. Thus...I am here

I have never used a hammock before and was trying to get a cheap, yet good setup for warm weather to try things out. I definitely need a mosquito net and a tarp. I'd like to just take a plunge and get a WBBB double 1.1 and an edge tarp but can't justify the cost right now. I don't sew and don't have a lot of free time so DIY is not for me right now.

I read through a thread here about starter kits of various prices and it led me to here:

What do you think of this as a starter hammock that would meet my needs? I am 5'6, 168 lbs

http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/ult...beeter-hammock

What would be a good, cheap tarp that would cover the hammock and give me a little bit of extra space? What would I need in the way of guylines, stakes, etc to make the whole kit work?

I am also willing to upgrade the suspension for a few bucks to something that makes the whole design as fast and idiot proof as possible.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Neil

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You could get the Skeeter Beeter and a Kelty Noah 9 tarp and be set pretty inexpensively. You will have to also invest in tree straps and a better suspension. Also, for not much more you can probably get a Hennessey that includes everything.
    I suggest you do lots of research before you purchase. The for sale section here is a great place to get a good set up. Just keep your eyes open.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I Dito the for sale section... If I had waited a few days after buying I could have saved about $50 on my setup and I went with practical and cheap... I bought a grand trunk ultralight, a hammock bliss net and an ENO pro fly... About $120 total and then $10 straps from wall mart for suspension...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    true - i could get a HH setup for like $160 brand new - I guess that is not too bad for a full setup

I'll hang in there a bit and look on the sale page as well. Although I am going on a 2 night trip in a few weeks and I would like to try this out there.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Its always good to experiment at home with your gear before going out on a hang.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    absolutely - which is why i would want to get something sooner rather than later - to still give me some time to try it out at home

it's just...last time i went backpacking in the catskills i found it difficult to find a camping spot where and when i wanted to within the confines of the rules - it seems to me a hammock would help in that area tremendously

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    It sure does help, no roots or rocks or hills to keep you from camping like in a tent. Good luck with your venture.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    I've seen a great number of posts in which folks are afraid to spend extra $$$ on items like Warbonnet and want to ease into hammocking. This makes sense for many, but more often than not they fall in love with it and move on to lighter and more expensive products.

As you already have a history of preferring a UL tent setup I might suggest investing in the Warbonnet and the Edge. If you hate it, you can recoup the bulk of your investment right here in the For Sale section. Even if you incur some loss in the expirement I would guess that it would be less than an introductory setup that may not resale as well. (Although, everything tends to move here).

Therefore, if you can afford the pricier setup, I might consider it from the outset.

Just my two cents. HYOH
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52400

Check this out... Talk about perfect timing...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ftroop94 View Post
    I've seen a great number of posts in which folks are afraid to spend extra $$$ on items like Warbonnet and want to ease into hammocking. This makes sense for many, but more often than not they fall in love with it and move on to lighter and more expensive products.

As you already have a history of preferring a UL tent setup I might suggest investing in the Warbonnet and the Edge. If you hate it, you can recoup the bulk of your investment right here in the For Sale section. Even if you incur some loss in the expirement I would guess that it would be less than an introductory setup that may not resale as well. (Although, everything tends to move here).

Therefore, if you can afford the pricier setup, I might consider it from the outset.

Just my two cents. HYOH
    this is a definite thought - i could sell my UL tent as well if I really like the hammock - it is in great shape

• + New Posts