Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

have 25' amsteel, want a ridgeline

Simple question: how do I make and attach a fixed length structural ridgeline from Amsteel for a ENO DN?

More:

So I am totally new to hanging. Just got my ENO DN, spent 2 hours online researching suspension. Ended up going with a whoopie sling & toggle kit from Arrowhead. Finally got it setup last night and LOVED it. Now I want to play with ridgelines! When I ordered my kit I also threw in 25ft of amsteel to play with. So it may be overkill for a ridgeline but I have it and may as well use it.

My question is... should I take the time and learn to make an adjustable whoopie sling for it, or just use a set length? I think the whoopie sling is overkill because once I find the length I like I will just keep it. However, how do I attach the fixed length to the hammock if I don't setup a whoopie sling?

thanks

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    Chinook Sand 12x9
    Insulation
    UQ conversion & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm also interested in this question. UPS just dropped off that Ultralite Grand Trunk hammock that was on sale recently. The only thing it seems to be missing is a ridgeline (based on how the majority of people feel about having one). It's a gathered end hammock with two S hooks on each end. I was thinking about buying some Paracord or Amsteel to create it, or buying the whoopie sling ridgeline.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    ciarlill, The amsteel will be on the strong side for a ridgline but will work. The simplest thing to do would be to tie a figure 8 knot on the ends of the ridge line and loop that into the slings where you attach to the hammock. Taking that a step further you could splice a loop on each end of the line to attach to. Length wise measure the length of the hammock and use 83% of that length for the length of ridge line. Thats the general consensus for a comfortable ridge line ratio.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    Chinook Sand 12x9
    Insulation
    UQ conversion & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    ciarlill, The amsteel will be on the strong side for a ridgline but will work. The simplest thing to do would be to tie a figure 8 knot on the ends of the ridge line and loop that into the slings where you attach to the hammock. Taking that a step further you could splice a loop on each end of the line to attach to. Length wise measure the length of the hammock and use 83% of that length for the length of ridge line. Thats the general consensus for a comfortable ridge line ratio.

So for example, when I lay my hammock on the ground end to end (S hook to S hook) it measures 104" which puts 83% of that at 86.32". So from figure 8 knot to figure 8 knot it should be the 86.32", and I just slide the whoopie slings through the loops of the figure 8 knots?

So make one of these knots at each end: http://pages.swcp.com/~nmmc/climbroc...ts/figure8.GIF

Then pass the whoopie through the loop before hooking it to the marlin spike?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by rottenpossum View Post
    So for example, when I lay my hammock on the ground end to end (S hook to S hook) it measures 104" which puts 83% of that at 86.32". So from figure 8 knot to figure 8 knot it should be the 86.32", and I just slide the whoopie slings through the loops of the figure 8 knots?
    I'd measure to the ends of the fabric and let the ridgeline rest against the gathered ends of the hammock.
    If you slip the ridgeline cord under the ropes, it'll keep it from always wanting to fall off.

Here's a view of the ridgeline over the ropes.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    PapaSmurf is wise and his pictures lead the way. Ditch the S hooks and the rope that they are attached to all together they are of no use to hammock campers and are added for those that want to haul around a lot of extra weight for no good reason.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1DL & DIY
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    ciarlill & rottenpossum,

I just made a 1.5oz. gathered end hammock 120" x 56" with an adjustable ridgeline using materials from DIY Gear Supply. The hammock & ridgeline weights 8oz. (no whoopies or tree huggers accounted for) and I did it all for less than $20 and I have enough material to make several stuff sacks too. Slept out in it last night and it was comfy!

Anyways back to your question on the ridgeline. The amsteel blue is overkill and heavy compared to the tech line backwoodsdaydreamer sells. It also has a strength of 400+lbs. The 80-85% is the norm for ridgelines. I just cut mine long enough to allow adjustablility in the line for different lays. The fixed end is attached to the hammocks whoopie using a bowline. The bowline is a simple knot that is very strong and uses far less rope than other knots. On the other end, I used a variation of the tautline hitch that I know with an additional wrap for a better grap. It worked great last night & I had my cell phone, headlamp and fleece hanging on it.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1DL & DIY
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I'd measure to the ends of the fabric and let the ridgeline rest against the gathered ends of the hammock.
    If you slip the ridgeline cord under the ropes, it'll keep it from always wanting to fall off.

Here's a view of the ridgeline over the ropes.
    PapaSmurf,

Everyone loves to bury their rope now a days. Does bury the rope use less rope than say using a bowline, triple fisherman's, etc... It is definitely cleaner looking to bury the rope, but it sure can't be faster.

Creating your own whoopies? How hard is that? Thanks!

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    Chinook Sand 12x9
    Insulation
    UQ conversion & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    PapaSmurf is wise and his pictures lead the way. Ditch the S hooks and the rope that they are attached to all together they are of no use to hammock campers and are added for those that want to haul around a lot of extra weight for no good reason.
    So do you suggest I replace the cord/S hooks with paracord or something else? I'm planning on ordering the techline from backwoods for my ridgeline & tarp tieouts. I can get the paracord in bright orange from amazon for about $4/50'

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast