Tarp
    Mamajamba, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images

Thumbs up The fire is burning

So I have been thinking about my singlenest, what sparked the fire was a few post's on my "setting up" thread. I do realize that they were in jest/fun.

But after having the SN for a while I wondered how much more roomier the DN was.

And now after finding HF's it kindled a spark, then talking with a friend of mine that has a WBBB, and seeing a few of these DIY hammocks, the fire started burning. So now I am wanting to upgrade.

I noticed I can get a hammock blank from DIYGear and start, or I can purchase ready made.

I am 6'3" 218lbs and a side sleeper. I live in South Carolina, and not in the near future going to make any Long hikes so featherweight is not an issue.

Talk me into something people.

Thanks for all of the help

PS I got my Amsteel, Dyneema and rings in from DIY butIm going to hold onto that till I make my decision on what to sleep in.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Www.tableclothsfactory.com get your a crinkle taffeta table cloth in either width... And go from there... I'm in the middle of a top entry bug net (directions are around here somewhere may be called zipperless bugnet) and total I will have about $50 in the hammock... Plus some whoopie slings from arrow head equipment and a ridgeline bring total in the $75 range and my guessing weight of 1.5-2 lb range for.bugnet and suspension and hammock... Good luck... Read a lot it will save you money in the long run...

If your sleeping under a top quilt of some sort quite a bit then the hug hammock and bugnet mix thing is lightest and looks easier to make than.the top entry...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    If comfort is your priority, you will want an 11' long hammock. Width is less important for comfort, so you can save some weight by going with a 54" wide hammock. I am a couple of inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than you and those are my preferred dimensions.

As to material and number of layers, that is a personal preference thing and depends on how much stretch you like. Without the benefit of trying a a variety of materials, I would make the choice depending on whether I like a soft mattress or a hard one.

A single layer if 1.1 nylon ripstop is going to be very stretchy for you and I would only recommend it if you like an extremely soft mattress. At the other end of the spectrum is polyester crinkle fabric at about 2.5 oz/sy with almost no stretch for hard mattress users.

Whether you want a double layer or not is mostly dependent on whether you want the ability to stick pads between the layers or not.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Have you tried your friends WBBB? Its very popular and well recommended for a reason.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post

Whether you want a double layer or not is mostly dependent on whether you want the ability to stick pads between the layers or not.
    There's more: in hot, sticky summer weather, a double is hotter than a single. So, if you want to lounge around on a summer afternoon, take this into consideration.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double, DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thank you all, I made my decision and ordered the WBBB 1.7 Double today. with the strap and line suspension.

Thanks again

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    Thank you all, I made my decision and ordered the WBBB 1.7 Double today. with the strap and line suspension.

Thanks again
    That is the same rig I went with. You will not be disappointed though that there danger bird looks mighty tempting.......
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

• + New Posts