Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    I think I'm going to go 3/4 to save some weight.
    Thanks for the input!

I'll have to look into a different bugnet.
    I was just assuming bugs would only be an issue for a month or two.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    A blue pad will be marginal insulation at best in the Smokies in March/April. Temps are very unpredictable that time of year in the southern mtns, especially higher up.

A pad will work better in a DL hammock, but there's no reason you couldn't go with a single layer 1.1 to save some weight.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    It's a 2 oz choice.
    If I buy a DL how hard is it to remove the 2nd layer?

I'd rather buy it and try it, if I don't need it just take it off.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Also looking into nano 7s. Smaller but I think I'm light enough that it won't stretch too bad. I've read success stories of much heftier people using them.

It could also shave a few ounces.

Gear Gramming is a horrible horrible addiction. :P

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide
    I am 5'9" and weigh 190 and I can sleep comfortably in the Nano 7.

The WWM vs the Nano 7 weight wise is comparable.

With the Nano 7 you can use a smaller tarp.

The WWM has a much longer ridgeline.

FWIW I have been using a Tulle bug sock from PapaSmurf for almost 3 yrs now with not one issue! Yes everyone's right Tulle is more fragile than some other offerings, but here's an idea, it's a UL piece of gear and should be treated as such, so, don't drag it down the trail, or stand on it, or grab and rip it open! Sure it's not like a 2' thick bug net that could stand up to a atomic blast or anything!

Also many Long Distance hikers have done many LD hikes with a UL and even a SUL gear set!

Be it known, I have not Thru'd "yet", so take my advise FWIW, I am only a lowly section hiker with a couple hundred miles done....

With regard to the Nano, I have one and found that I like to lay on more of a diagonal than the hammock could accommodate and my feet kept popping out (I am 5'9 194# for reference), but I have a friend thats taller than I am and loves his Nano (Stormcrow be his name), now I don't think he uses a ridgeline and I think he sleeps more centerline so that may account for it all??????

IMO I think you would be more comfortable in the Bias like you listed in your first post, but, only with trial will you know whats right or not for you, and with that said I have a Nano that I'd be willing to sell to you just send me a PM and we can talk!

Many still use pads, Srg Rock (and many others) still do if memory serves (which is always up for debate) me personally I find a UQ much more comfy (I have used pad's before)! But to give you an idea you could get a 3 season Yeti which weighs in at 12.5oz, and get a Gossamer Gear pad to supplement during the colder times (for only an additional couple ounces), also the GG pad could serve you as a ground pad, and depending on your pack you could have it be your packs frame, so it could be multi-use, and the GG pad is going to be lighter than a z-rest, also (since I own some GG pads I can attest to this) they are slightly sticky (almost annoyingly so) on a hammocks fabric, so you wouldn't have to add the glue mod... I always carry a pad with me, but it serves as my packs frame and I use it as a supplement if temps drop colder than expected! It also serves as my sit pad, and if the worst should happen I could sleep on the ground with it

Either way good luck with your decision, hammocks are a very personal thing and you will find that you will get varying opinions on the subject of what better or worse, but everyone will agree on one thing though......they are more comfortable than being on the ground
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Even though I have not thru hiked so take my info FWIW. I have my base weight down to 8.5lbs which could comfortably take me down to just below 40. If I were to drop the 21oz WBBB 1.1 DBL I could shave another half pound but I like the comfort of it. I am looking into a custom hammock that a gracious forum member is working up for me now so well see how that one goes but I have high hopes for it. I have also been using a tulle bug net for over 2 years and it has no signs of wear. Just like my cuben and 7D items I treat it with care. Here are the items I use so you can compare them to yours. Hope it helps

Hammock Gear Hex Tarp/lines/Stuff Sack 5.70
    Suspension/4 Steaks/25ft cord/1 extra dynaglide woopie 5.50
    WBBB 1.1 DBL 21.00
    40 UQ/50 TQ 16.90

if you shoot me a PM with your email address Id be more then happy to email you my pack list for my Long Trail hike this summer.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    My bugnet choice will be highly dependent on what hammock I finally buy.
    Nano and WWM are the two battleing.

I'm not even quite sure how much difference of weight there is between the two.
    For a DL + Sus + knotty mod = 17oz for WWM

That is ridgeline and all I believe.

I sent you my email, a gearlist to compare would be great!

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Looks like hammock gear > zPack for a 1.3 ounce weight saving!

Any reason not to make that switch?

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

nano vs. others

My problem with the Nano was feet and pillow-substitute both going over the edge during the night. Yes the pillow/stuffsack was tied to the RL so it was easy to retrieve but I was waking up too often to do that. As has been mentioned, if you can sleep in line, or hang the Nano tighter than other hammocks, then you are good in it. I opted to carry a little more, not a lot more weight. I too am only a section hiker, but I backpacked 1100 miles last year.

I second the concern about tarp length and the 9 feet 1.5 inch ridgeline length of the WWM (83% of 11 feet). Test that in wet, windy weather between now and the start of your hike. You might just hang the rig in a safe place without sleeping in it and check it for wetness early the next morning.

As others mentioned, can you carry slightly heavier gear for the first month, expecting to exchange it later for smaller and lighter summer gear?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast