DIY 1.1 Ripstop Nylon Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat-Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    LineLocker/Whoopie

Colorado Hammock Camping in Jeopardy

Or at least it could be. At time of this post Colorado has 14 Land Fires, two being prairie fires, the rest are Forrest Fires. Burnt forests mean no trees to hang from. not being able to hang, would be a bad thing

So I am asking all hangers, hickers, and campers,
    PLEASE, PLEASE, BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR ALCOHOL STOVE!
    One of the fires this season was from an alcohol stove that got knocked over. In my opinion, the poor guy got attacked by the public, by the way the media reported the news. One quick mishap ruined his finances.

As our good friend Smokey The Bear says "Only You Can Prevent Forrest Fires".
    See You In The Trees
    & Keep It Hanging

http://www.youtube.com/user/Laochri?feature=watch

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    That is all so sad.

Hammock
    WB 1.1DBL, Eno DBL
    Tarp
    WB Super or Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoooooopy!
    Surprised to hear this, my alc stove "feels" pretty safe. I guess things could get out of hand, best to be super safe in fire season.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laochri View Post
    One quick mishap ruined his finances.
    And a big chunk of the forest too! Whichever side you choose, the results were sad.

How about the one started by a firefighter?

There is one in Utah that was started at a gun range...because they were shooting containers filled with flammable liquid.

Unfortunately, Smoky Bear isn't totally right. Many of the Colorado fires were started by lightning strikes. Not much we can do about that. But, one person can have an impact on thousands of acres with just a few seconds of negligence. It's terrible and I totally second the OP's request of being careful. There just isn't anything so important that you can't wait the couple of minutes it will take to finish use of your stove before you turn away from it.

The only silver lining I can find in all of this is that the fire is also killing those damnable beetles. I know fires are healthy for a forest's long term survival, but they kind of suck for users.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    None now!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies or straps
    The fires are getting worse! I had a trip planned in July to go hang. Looks like it may not happen now. Colorado is going after that guy who started the blaze with his stove. I may be working up a vid for my YouTube channel about alcohol stove safety. I feel it needs to be put out there.

Me YouTube Channel

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

alcohol stoves

I have visited with a couple of ranger type people. If a stove does not have a a way of shutting off the fuel then it WILL be considered an open fire. That includes ESBIT, sterno and most alcohol stoves.

Banning stoves will not stop fires, but it makes people feel like they are doing something about the problem.

Accidents will happen and people will do stupid things, but most fires are not caused by people.

Protect yourself by using an approve stove.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...llins-at-7-673 < story about the stove guy.

spillage has always been my main concern with the alcohol stoves- though i find them incredibly awesome tools. I was born with buttery finger tips.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    Insulation?
    Suspension
    whoopies &amp; MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by bushcrafter View Post
    The fires are getting worse! I had a trip planned in July to go hang. Looks like it may not happen now. Colorado is going after that guy who started the blaze with his stove. I may be working up a vid for my YouTube channel about alcohol stove safety. I feel it needs to be put out there.
    We all need to be careful, however, I believe MOST who use the outdoors as a regular persuit/hobby are probably the least likely to cause problems. I would say it is a VERY rare even for someone well versed in back country skills to start forest fires. However, accidents can happen even to the "experts". Shamefully, we in this country believe we always need a scapegoat or someone to point blame at regardless. If that doesn't work we just find someone to sue. I suppose it makes us feel better about ourselves.
    Is the guy who startedthe fire responsible? Absolutely! But, depending on the circumstances, there's no good reason to "throw him under the bus" or otherwise ruin him for an accident. For what? To make an example of him? Nothing productive would come from that.

BTW. Cancel your trip? The whole state isn't burned up! Find a place and go!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Let's not make this into a thread debating the definitions of "accident" and "negligence". I don't believe that was the OP's intention. He just wants to remind everyone to be careful out there. One single person can do a tremendous amount of damage; not only to the forests, but to people's homes and their lives.

Like food said, the issue isn't about safety anymore this year, it's about compliance. No matter how safe you think yourself to be it is best to simply not do anything outside the rules this year with regards to fire. Meet some of these people that have lost their possessions face to face and you'll have a difficult time disagreeing that the slight inconvenience to hikers/campers is immeasurably warranted. Colorado is a tinderbox right now, plain and simple. One spark and another few thousand acres of hammock hanging trees are gone. Mama Nature is being enough of a pain, so there is no reason for us to pile it on.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    Insulation?
    Suspension
    whoopies &amp; MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    And a big chunk of the forest too! Whichever side you choose, the results were sad.

How about the one started by a firefighter?

There is one in Utah that was started at a gun range...because they were shooting containers filled with flammable liquid.
    (
    Humm....

[QUOTE=Cannibal;758317]Let's not make this into a thread debating the definitions of "accident" and "negligence". I don't believe that was the OP's intention. QUOTE]

That was kinda my point. I suppose it depends on who's "opinion" it is determines whether or what we are debating...or not.

Accidents happen, we all need to be careful (and non-judgemental of who had the "accident")

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast