Whoopie Sling, Webbing and Carabiner Question

So my question stems from the "Hammock Introduction" Page on DIY Gear Supply located here:

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/d...ck-suspension/

I bought the required materials for Option 1: Whoopie Suspension but am very new to all this!

After searching high and low for my answer I figured it would be best to just ask!

After sewing the required loops into the webbing it should be able to handle the tension of the hammock via the whoopie slings and the carabiner? Is that what I am understanding from the picture?

Also, do I just loop one end of the webbing through the other around the tree, and repeat as necessary, depending on width between trees, diameter et cetera?

Finally, can I whip my hammock together with the whoopie sling or just use another piece of line? If the latter, would some paracord work fine?

Thank you for your help clearing up my ignorance!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Yes the webbing as shown ans sewn should handle the tension (at the recommended 30 degree angle or thereabouts).
    You can thread one end of the webbing through a loop (around the tree) and the just wrap (no need to thread each time) as many times as desired (and your strap length allows!).
    When whipping the hammock - man tend to use gutted paracord, strands of paracord, mason line, accessory line, shoelace - whatever you like and can resist the outdoors. The whoopie would then be usually larksheaded to the end whipping.
    Hope this helps!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Another option is to use a marlin spike hitch/toggle anywhere on the free length of the tree straps to loop the whoopie sling around instead of being limited to attaching to the end loop with a carabiner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you both so much! So just one quick follow-up question.

If I don't hang at the prescribed 30 degree angle will it cause un-due stress on the stitching and then it may break?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The tension goes up rapidly as the hammock is strung up tighter, but the straps/loops/stitching, whoopies and hammocks normally take the load. That's why 1500# webbing, 1600# amsteel, etc. are recommended...it builds in a little safety factor.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB, DIY Flex 180
    Tarp
    MEC Guides Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 down UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and binas
    hello guys ive been getting so much info from hammock forums but now have a quick question, would it be possible to substitute the toggle for a carabina? and clip the whoopie directly in to that, i only ask because when the hammock is not loaded it seems like it can accidently blow off the toggle. I cold add a whipping knot but that makes adjusting the loop a bit more fiddley.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pommychris View Post
    hello guys ive been getting so much info from hammock forums but now have a quick question, would it be possible to substitute the toggle for a carabina? and clip the whoopie directly in to that, i only ask because when the hammock is not loaded it seems like it can accidently blow off the toggle. I cold add a whipping knot but that makes adjusting the loop a bit more fiddley.
    You sure can do that. Just make sure the carabiner is climbing rated to handle the stress. I think many people do that, but it just shaves a few grams of weight to go with the toggle style instead of 'biners.

Hammock
    WBBB, HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WB SS, Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed hook
    This is the way I hang mine and haven't had any issues.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Yes, even a cheapo Wal-mart carabiner can be used in place of the toggle providing you just use the spine of the carabiner as a toggle. You can also clip the end of the whoopie through the center of the biner to keep it from jumping off.

As Hiknhanger stated, if you clip the whoopie sling into the carabiner, it should be climbing rated. Do not rely on the cheapo ones if you clip the whoopie into it.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB, DIY Flex 180
    Tarp
    MEC Guides Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 down UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and binas
    thanks guys that dials in my suspension system!

• + New Posts