Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    You should retitle this to "multipurpose uses of a hammock" interesting read. I am glad you and those campers are safe. I watched my grandfather beat a bear over the nose with a stick once and it ran away from the picnic area, but it didn't have cubs either...

This mama is setting a bad example for her children. Instead of working for her living and teaching the children a work ethic, she has chosen the easy route of laziness and theft. She probably learned it from her parents. Hopefully the children can break this cycle.

On a more serious note, I agree with snubbie; the future isn't bright for these bears. It might not be bright for a hiker/camper either before its over with.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Glad you are safe. I'm starting to think about about a rodent proof hang bag. Always hang before leaving!

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Wow! Thx for sharing your story. Glad all is ok. I'm sure many lessons learned.

I bet those bears see a backpack & associate that with food.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Sorry to hear that.

I'm really glad that you, and everyone else, came out of it okay, though. That could have been...bad.

Definitely a reason to think over one's food storage practices!

Thanks for sharing.

Images
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. Yeah, I'm glad everyone was okay too. When I found the other campsite, and later when we were looking for the missing hikers, and the next morning, I was afraid I was going to find a few dead bodies. I was really relieved when they showed up again.

Does anyone here cary a bear canister in Colorado? I know they're required in places like Yosemite. I've always just done a bear bag, mostly because the canister is so awkward to cary in a pack. I've thought before about bear mace, but it's a heavy, expensive addition to your gear. I DO always wear a bear bell on my shoe, though. We don't have grizzlies here in CO, and the bear bell has always worked well at alerting the black bears to my presence.

Sorry to hear of your (and the others) unfortunate experience, which is something that we all can learn from so thank you for posting!

I will say though that I encourage you to report it, in most cases they try to re-locate the problem animals first if it's reported in time which in most cases works very well, if not the ending is usually grim!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG-20 degree
    Suspension
    Arrowhead WS setup

please report it

I do not know that area, and did not read who had ownership of the land. If it's on public lands let the appropriate land managers know. As the previous poster noted they may try to relocate the bears. Just as important is that they will probably put signs up warning other campers/hikers. It sounds like a popular place with plenty of opportunity for disaster.

Images
    Just an update.

The craziest thing happened! I got an email from a guy who found my pack! I took off work early yesterday and hiked out to meet him. I brought him a 6-pack of beer, lol. Some of my stuff is still missing, but the most important stuff was there. I even got my favorite hat back.

One pocket on the hip belt is gone, and one of the water bottle holders is ripped. But besides that, it looks great! I might try and patch it myself, or else I could probably send it to GoLite as it's still under warranty. Anyone have experience doing that?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by equiquay View Post
    Just an update.

The craziest thing happened! I got an email from a guy who found my pack! I took off work early yesterday and hiked out to meet him. I brought him a 6-pack of beer, lol. Some of my stuff is still missing, but the most important stuff was there. I even got my favorite hat back.

One pocket on the hip belt is gone, and one of the water bottle holders is ripped. But besides that, it looks great! I might try and patch it myself, or else I could probably send it to GoLite as it's still under warranty. Anyone have experience doing that?
    That's great! Glad to hear that someone found it, and--even more so--that the guy who found it was nice enough to go out of his way to return it!

No, I don't have experience with GoLite. However, think about the PR possibilities: "Not only is our gear light, but it's tough enough to stand up to a bear!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast