Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1DL & DIY
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies

Smile Dutch Buckle vs. Dutch Whoopie Hook

I am fortunate enough to own three different suspensions system for my "Blackbird DL," my wife's "Blackbird SL" and my "DIY gathered end hammock."

My questions for everyone is… Which do you prefer and why? (buckle vs. hook)

I am an avid backpacker/camper and sometimes I do not have the time, energy or daylight to fiddle with hanging my hammock for 15-30 minutes. I am looking for your opinions and experiences on quickness of setup, versatility, less parts to the system and weight of the suspension system.

I am inexperienced with both suspensions and only have a 6 hangs with them combined.

1. "Warbonnet adjustable webbing strap suspension with biners"
    – Works great, easy to set up, but heavy!

2. "Dutch Whoopie Hooks" aka the "All-in-one Suspension system"
    – Utilizes two continuous loops (one for each end of your hammock), a pair of 6’ whoopies with 3’ tree huggers (I opted for 6’ for the bigger trees).
    – Works great, but can be a pain to set up on trees bigger than 2’ in diameter and trees very small (you have to wrap the hugger around the tree several times and guessing the height of your strap and wraps around the tree can be a big pain!)
    - This system however, is the lightest system and is very versatile.

3. "Dutch Buckle Suspension"
    – Comes with two 5.5’ tree huggers with a Dutch Buckle attached (acts as the toggle). So far I am favoring this system. It’s an ounce heavier than the Dutch Whoopie Hook Suspension, but its fast, easy to setup and safe with the buckle as compared to a stick (yes, I understand you must keep the whoopie behind the knot when using the “Marlin Spike Hitch”).

* I may purchase some amsteel, make a continuous loop and attach it to the ends of the hammock for those… "Wow, I must tie up between two trees less than 12’ apart situation."

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Imho...

...The Warbonnet style is the most versatile. Can be used with most ease on really closely spaced hangs. You can ditch some of the weight by removing the strap from the buckles and using a through the loop/larkshead method to cinch it to the tree...assuming the loop is big enough...and then rethreading into the buckles. Or using a Dutch Clip instead of the biner. Almost as light as nothing and still as conveinent, or even more so, as the biner.

But as I read your post that wasn't your question. As far as the Dutch Hook vs. Dutch Buckle I prefer the buckle. I am a big guy though and the forces with the buckle tend to abrade the strap. Not so for my wife who is much lighter. I used toggles, or a stick, and marlin spike hitch for myself because of the abrasion.
    Last edited by Kanguru; 06-27-2012 at 17:18.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I prefer having my webbing separate from my whoopies and hammock so I favour the Dutch buckles. I like having the webbing separate so I can adjust the length depending on the size of the tree plus if the webbing gets sap on it, my hammmock won't get messy.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by PAHikingTrails View Post
    3. "Dutch Buckle Suspension"
    [INDENT]– Comes with two 5.5’ tree huggers with a Dutch Buckle attached (acts as the toggle). So far I am favoring this system. It’s an ounce heavier than the Dutch Whoopie Hook Suspension, but its fast, easy to setup and safe with the buckle
    That's the system for me, but I carry longer straps if the trees are going to be big. Skinny pines and birch woodlands I'll usually go with 6', if I'm heading to oak or beech territory then I'll up it to 9', some of the Scots pines over here need 12'. Geeky but that's how I play it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    I have 6' straps and use lightweight climbing biners to connect around the tree. I then have Dutch buckles on the straps, whoopie slings with Dutch whoopie hooks and finally a continuous loop around the whipped end of the hammock. I used to have an all in one whoopie system with the whoopie fixed to the end of the tree strap, but as you mentioned, this is a pain on smaller trees and I used to have to wrap the strap around more than once, the Dutch buckle sorts this problem out. My current system offers great adjustment using the whoopies and also by sliding the buckle up or down the strap. The whoopie hooks mean that I can stash the bulk of the suspension separately from my hammock. Hope that helps.

Mark

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    i use both the buckle and the hook. chain link on the hammock, hook on the fixed eye of the whoopie, adjustable end of the whoopie over the buckle. allows you to completely separate the suspension from the hammock.....

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Buckle for 3 seasons. Straps in winter. I don't have much need for hooks since all my hammocks have their own suspension.

S

Hammock
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Buckle for 3 seasons. Straps in winter. I don't have much need for hooks since all my hammocks have their own suspension.

S

Please explain why you use straps in the winter? Thanks!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PAHikingTrails View Post
    Please explain why you use straps in the winter? Thanks!
    Gloves and whoopies don't work well for me. It seems the coldest part of my body are my fingers, the less I take my gloves off the better. Straps and buckles are a lot easier to adjust with gloves on.

S

Hammock
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Gloves and whoopies don't work well for me. It seems the coldest part of my body are my fingers, the less I take my gloves off the better. Straps and buckles are a lot easier to adjust with gloves on.

S
    Makes perfect sense, thanks!
    "Be Safe & Live the Outdoors!"

www.pahikingtrails.com / www.georflf.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast