Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC

ENO for bigger guys

I've been bit by the bug and wanted to seek guidance from the wisdom of the veterans here.

I am 6'3 and 240-245 and I have purchased a single nest a few years ago. I have been playing with it in the back yard I believe its a little small for my size so i am upgrading to a double. At my local outfitter I found a double deluxe, which is a little wider than the double next. So my question to the experienced, which nest would be the best choice for someone my size?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I personally would go with the larger of the two if I had to choose ENO. Im 6'2" an my next hammock is going to be the crinkle taffeta tablecloth that makes either of those two hammocks look small.

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AllRiversSouth View Post
    I am 6'3 and 240-245 and I have purchased a single nest a few years ago. I have been playing with it in the back yard I believe its a little small for my size so i am upgrading to a double. At my local outfitter I found a double deluxe, which is a little wider than the double next. So my question to the experienced, which nest would be the best choice for someone my size?
    The ENO SingleNest, DoubleNest and Deluxe DoubleNest are all the same length. I doubt that going to the wider nests will help you. But I could be wrong, it has happened before.

Regards,

Ellis

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    The double deluxe has a seam running down the middle that can be irritating. Dream hammock makes a wide long open hammock totally custom if you can stand the wait

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Thanks guys...the seam down the center is good info. Maybe I am wrong, but I'm hoping a little wider hammock will give me a little more length when trying to lay flat at an angle. I was just unsure if the extra wide deluxe would be too much or just right. I'm strongly considering the double now.

Thanks for all your help and if you have anything else to add let me know!

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    I found the answer to my own question while researching the net. It came from Derek Hansen at theultimatehang.com. He stated; "In my own experience I’ve found that longer hammocks are better, all things being equal. If a hammock is really wide but lacks length, the extra width is wasted as you won’t be able to hang the hammock deep enough to take advantage of it. In other words, the wider the hammock, the longer it needs to be."

Considering what alrany187 stated about all of the hammocks being the same legnth, the wider dimensions of the deluxe without the extra length would be a waist. Since so many here have publicly proclaimed their love affair with the double nest, I'll give it a shot.

Guess its true what they say; "sometimes less is more"!

Thanks again for your impute....Its greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AllRiversSouth View Post
    I found the answer to my own question while researching the net. It came from Derek Hansen at theultimatehang.com. He stated; "In my own experience I’ve found that longer hammocks are better, all things being equal. If a hammock is really wide but lacks length, the extra width is wasted as you won’t be able to hang the hammock deep enough to take advantage of it. In other words, the wider the hammock, the longer it needs to be."

Considering what alrany187 stated about all of the hammocks being the same legnth, the wider dimensions of the deluxe without the extra length would be a waist. Since so many here have publicly proclaimed their love affair with the double nest, I'll give it a shot.
    If the DoubleNest Deluxe would be a waste because it doesn't have the extra length, then so would the DoubleNest. It doesn't have the extra length either.

Fish said it and I am going to repeat it. Go with a hammock with more length. He suggested the crinkle taffeta and I just purchased one from DIY Gear made of polyester taffeta. The difference in width between my DIY and the Single Nest is only 6" more in the DIY, but the added length is what does the trick overall.

Derek and I had this conversation. I thought the extra 6" was what made the DIY more comfortable, but after a few nights in it, I realized it was the length that made the difference. Plus, you'll save money going the DIY route and it isn't that difficult to finish the hammock.

Regards,

Ellis

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    6'5" - 280 or so here - doublenest as the primary "lounger" - with diagonal lay, I find the doublenest to be plenty large enough.

My brother who is about the same size as you has spent a couple of nights in my doublenest and really felt it to be roomy...
    You don't HAVE TO be crazy to be here - But I assure you it will help.....

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Thanks for the advise, going to pick up the double nest this weekend. I'm sure a custom DIY with the perfect ratio of length vs width would be the best option, but i think i will work up to that. Even if the double is not the perfect hammock for me it will be a good starting place and something I'll be able to share with a friend or just for lounging in the back yard. Again....thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Guardian bug net
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    I have a DoubleNest. At 5'10" / 330# and wide in the shoulders, I find it to be roomy and comfortable with minimal shoulder squeeze (diagonally there's little if any).

My $0.02. Hope it helps
    If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast