Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

supporting a tree... semi-permanent solutions?

I have a perfect little spot in my yard to hang, but this one tree is making me a bit nervous. I have been using it all week but am interested in ways I can maybe bolster it a bit. Depending on how high up I set my straps I definitely see some sway in the upper half of the tree. I have a pic below to show the tree in question. It is not in good shape at all. I just bought this house and everything has been invaded by vines. I cut out the vine at the root and removed as much from the tree as I could without causing damage. The tree still has foliage and is alive, but I'm not sure for how much longer. The roots look pretty big and seem to spread quite far. I just am not sure how deep they are. I really am not afraid for my safety or anything, just afraid that over time hanging on it will make things worse and I will lose it. This is the only tree in that vicinity that will really work. I'd love to hear some thoughts about what I can do. I was thinking maybe running a loop of webbing from this tree to another larger one about 10ft away to counter-act some of the force of the hammock. Worthwhile?

Not the greatest pic.

The other tree I would use for strengthening is maybe 10ft directly to the right of that one. The reason I can't run my hammock straight to that is there is a firepit and other stuff in between the current anchor tree and it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can make a good size spike and plant it 10 feet behind the questionable tree and tie a rope or strap from the tree to the spike. If not and you still dont trust the tree i always say "when in doubt do without". Pick a different set up, you dont want to get hurt

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One thing you could do is run a line or from the tree in question down to a stake that is directly in line with the pull from the hammock. I would use a whoopie sling for the line and a large rebar stake for the anchor point.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

thanks for the tips. i trust the tree right now, i just dont want to kill it and would prefer to "help" it if possible. I think I will try putting out a stake today and using an extra long whoopie to give it some counter tension.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Going against the grain, here...that poor little thing is an inferior specimen. I would hang on it this summer, and come fall or early spring, replace it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    I would think it would certainly help, if you ran a rope to the tree behind that is 10 foot away. It would have to help take strain off it. Maybe run your extended rope through a piece of old hose so not to damage the support tree.

For yard work, a good hammock stand. Several on here to choose from, all fairly inexpensive and fairly easy to make. With any kind of care will last for years. Movable, too, as in follow the shade.

Hammock
    eno, for now.
    Tarp
    eno, modified
    Insulation
    diy, mummy bag
    Suspension
    straps and woopie
    you should go with the steak, then go with oldgringos idea and replace the tree by next spring.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I'm content and unworried with a trunk at one end that is supported by others with webbing I've linked it to. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...7&postcount=26.

But, my trunk is of a shrub / tree with a 12" trunk at the ground level, and it has never been (possibly) compromised by vines and their leaves depriving the tree of light and growth that light would have promoted. You're taking the risk, but I would do as others have suggested, using that 3" trunk as a post, but support it with not-stretching lines going to anchors in the ground. Arborists regularly support limbs on trees with such lines.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    What I would do for a long term approach is clear the brush and overhanging branches away from this tree. Give it some breathing room and some Sun-lite-real-estate. It will grow significantly over the summer. You can also get a treated 2"x2"x6' and cut notches or hooks into it and then hammer it into the ground 2'-3' about 6' away from the tree and run some cordage to it to help stabilize it. Just make sure that if you loop webbing around the tree to make the loop larger than the diameter of the tree so as the tree grows it wont be constricted by the webbing/rope.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast