Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1DL & DIY
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies

Smile Square Bottom Stuff Sack

I have searched and search. How do I make a square bottom stuff sack to my dimensions!

I like this video, but the formula and excel document don't match up and the explanation is not thorougho enough.

I have found DIY's on the net, but no one explains the formula or finished product size!

I don't like the method explained here. Additional seam needed, but not necessary with other method.

I would like a sack finished at 4x4x8

Thanks!

If you do not like the method proposed in the linked post I would think you're left with making a square patch for the bottom and sewing on the sides. Up to you if you want to make an 8X16 (10X18 with seam) piece and have to sew square corners or make 4 4X8 (6X10 with seam) pieces to make sewing easier, but have more seams. Then a roll seam up top for your drawstring.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    You could just take the Circumference formula for a circle- C=∏xd add your seam allowance so you basically want a 4"dia bag right? 4 x 3.14= 12.56 then add another inch for or so for seam allowance. Now the easy way for it to end up 8" tall it to start with is much taller.... like twice as tall. first make your square bottom, stand it up and see how tall it is then figure how much you need for the draw string channel and cut the top accordingly. Not very scientific but it'll get you there. Here's a vid. I made on stuff sacks but no dimension stuff. I usually shoot from the hip on dimensions, usually "close enough" is close enough.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Heres the vid I refer to on stuff sacks.
    The only thing I do different is I do my drawcord channel at the beginning. Then the side and bottom seams. Fold the corners in and stitch for a square bottom. Then I feed the drawcord into the channel with a wire loop (actually I feed the wire thru and then pull the cord thru with the wire) add a cordlock and Im done

3.14 x your desired size plus whatever seam allowance (you will determine that, so adjust accordingly) usually 1" or 1-1/2" is sufficient.

Length of bag will be determined by your need. Add the drawcord channel (usually 2"-3") and bottom seam allowance (usually another 1" or 2").

A good trick is to stuff your item into a pillowcase or similar bag, compress it down to a comfortable "squish", and then just measure the outside diameter and overall length. Then use those numbers to make your new bag. Adding seam allowances of course.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I'm thinking that cuben would be a great way to go. Glue it up over a square/rectangular form to create your box end.

David

Hammock
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BBenski View Post
    If you do not like the method proposed in the linked post I would think you're left with making a square patch for the bottom and sewing on the sides. Up to you if you want to make an 8X16 (10X18 with seam) piece and have to sew square corners or make 4 4X8 (6X10 with seam) pieces to make sewing easier, but have more seams. Then a roll seam up top for your drawstring.

I mean no disrespect to the author or anyone else. I think its great that someone was kind enough to post and explain like most others don't in this method, but...

In that method you have to sew more seams. If I am understanding it right, you have your rolled hem, two vertical side seams and some bottom seams. In the other method you have less seams and it looks cleaner and I believe it would be stronger, because you do not have as many seams.

Hammock
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    I'm thinking that cuben would be a great way to go. Glue it up over a square/rectangular form to create your box end.

David

Very true, would be the lightest too, but I have 1.1 and 1.5 oz ripstop here at the house. Thanks for the feedback.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    You can always use various papers mock up items very inexpensively. Paper towels and napkins even sew very well.

Here's the bottom outside and inside of a napkin mock-up of a square bottom bag I made to work out attaching a pull handle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PAHikingTrails View Post
    I mean no disrespect to the author or anyone else. I think its great that someone was kind enough to post and explain like most others don't in this method, but...

In that method you have to sew more seams. If I am understanding it right, you have your rolled hem, two vertical side seams and some bottom seams. In the other method you have less seams and it looks cleaner and I believe it would be stronger, because you do not have as many seams.
    i used Chickenwings video to figure out stuff sacks with some dollar cloth from walmart. he sews the top channel large rolled hem . Then you fold along what becomes a "side" to match the edges. Sew a seam along that edge and across the bottom. That gives you a flat envelope. To make it square on the bottom you fold two flaps and sew accross them to make the bottom. I do not think it could get any simpler once you do it. The first one was a pain, the next couple were fairly quick as I understood what was going on. I agree that his numbers might be off a bit. Another reason to make a couple of scrap bags. ;-)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is what I have used.....very easy!....http://thru-hiker.com/projects/silnylon_stuffsacks.php
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast