Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Advice needed on Foot Pad

Hi, I need some advice on a foot pad for a 7 day hike leaving this weekend. The conditions expected down to 5C (41F)
    I'll be taking my Hammock Gear 20F Burrow and Warbonnet Yeti under quilt.

The foot pad I generally use is 6mm thick. It's to bulky. I've got this piece of foam sitting around that's 3mm thick. I don't know what it is. A fellow hiker gave me this piece last year. Does anyone know what it is, and will it be sufficient for the conditions I'm expecting as a foot pad. to place under my leg and feet in my hammock?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    This may seem like an odd question, but how thick is the back padding on your pack? If it's within the same range as the pad you were thinking about taking anyway, well...

41 isn't that cold (at least, it isn't for me); I think I'd be able to get away with using my pack (which doesn't have any padding along the back; it's just two layers of 1000d Cordura) as a pad for my legs as long as I had long sleeping pants and decent socks (which are something I'd carry anyway for trips below 50 F). Note, though, that I'm a particularly warm sleeper.

Anyway, it's just a thought.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    This may seem like an odd question, but how thick is the back padding on your pack? If it's within the same range as the pad you were thinking about taking anyway, well...

41 isn't that cold (at least, it isn't for me); I think I'd be able to get away with using my pack (which doesn't have any padding along the back; it's just two layers of 1000d Cordura) as a pad for my legs as long as I had long sleeping pants and decent socks (which are something I'd carry anyway for trips below 50 F). Note, though, that I'm a particularly warm sleeper.

Anyway, it's just a thought.
    I own a Gossamer Gear Mariposa 2012 pack. It's got a pad in it, but I'm planning on leaving that pad that's supplied with the pack in it's place. I could use my pack if worse to comes to worse and I find the 3mm foam not warm enough. I prefer not having my feet all over my new pack. I only purchased this pack last week. I nice pack to I must say, it's only 750grams.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipsart View Post
    I own a Gossamer Gear Mariposa 2012 pack. It's got a pad in it, but I'm planning on leaving that pad that's supplied with the pack in it's place. I could use my pack if worse to comes to worse and I find the 3mm foam not warm enough. I prefer not having my feet all over my new pack. I only purchased this pack last week. I nice pack to I must say, it's only 750grams.
    Well, looking at the photo you gave, that looks like pretty standard 1/8" blue CCF. For me, that'd be good at 41 F with decent clothing and the quilts you spoke of. For you? I dunno, but I think it should be.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Well, looking at the photo you gave, that looks like pretty standard 1/8" blue CCF. For me, that'd be good at 41 F with decent clothing and the quilts you spoke of. For you? I dunno, but I think it should be.

Hope it helps!
    Thanks FLRider, It helps, I think it will be more than enough. The lowest I've taken my Top Quilt down to, was 8C (46.4F) and I was very warm. I had to lay the quilt on top of me and ventilate to let some of the heat out.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It's hard to determine the texture in the photo, but it looks like it might be open cell foam instead of closed cell foam. That's OK for insulation, but don't let it get wet. It will absorb water like a sponge.

With warm sleep socks, thin foam is all I need at those temperature.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Insul-brite!

I put a 16"x16" piece of insul-brite in my topquilt footbox for a lil added warmth. I does require some fidgetting with each night, but doesn't take long and seems to work well for me. Granted, I use a longer UQ than you.

optionally you could glue an emergeny blanket to that 3mm pad, that will increase the warmth notably.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

• + New Posts