Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1DL & DIY
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies

Dutch Whoopie Hooks aka “All-in-one Suspension” System

First off I love Dutch’s gear and his customer service is top notch! He is a great guy to work with and is a very innovative dude!

Questions… please help! I currently own this suspension, but have only set it up 4 times so I am inexperienced with it.

Items include: two 6’ tree huggers (I asked for longer ones), two 6’ whoopie slings with whoopie hooks fixed on the adjustable loop end.

I am a backpacker and a hammock is my primary shelter as compared to a tent. Sometimes I do not have the energy or daylight needed to fiddle with the setup. I am looking for quickness/ease of setup. I really like the lightness and versatility of the setup, but…

1. What do you do when you are setting up between two trees that are less than 12’ apart? (The closest distance I could span would be 10’ roughly.)
    - The hugger loop may not always be right up against the tree?
    - And the whoopies shortest distance is an additional foot or so? That would allow a minimum setup of about 12’-13’. This may not be close enough at times. (I ran into this day 1 on a backpacking trip!)

2. What do you do when you are wrapping your 6’ tree hugger around a tree that is larger than 2’ in diameter?
    - The whoopie has to become part of the hugger, but this will cause the adjustable part to be nonadjustable, because it’s caught up in the hugger setup?

3. What do you do when you are wrapping your 6’ tree hugger around a tree that is very small in diameter?
    - Guessing the number of wraps, loop location and height needed is a pain. If you guess wrong, it’s hard to slide the hugger up or down the tree, because you wrapped the hugger around so many times.

4. I may be able to resolve the less than 12’ hang issue by making two more continuous loops and fixing them to the hugger or hammock, either or.
    - As long as the whoopie hook is fixed to the continuous loop attached to the hammock end. This would allow the hook to attach to the other continuous loop on the hugger.
    - Or... keep the continuous loop on the hammock end and use the Marlin Spike Hitch off the hugger.

I am new to whoopies, and have only used them 4 times. I apologize if these are dumb questions, but your feedback is very much appreciated! Thanks.

* I have attached pictures to help with clarification *
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Responding to the wrapping the tree straps around the tree question:

My suggestion would be to only wrap the tree hugger around the tree one time, feed the amsteel (whoopie) through the other loop and attach the Dutch hook to the continuous loop. You are now using the tree stap as part of your suspension (which is fine). You may have to shorten your whoopies if the trees are closer together.

Only wrapping it once will also make it easier to raise or lower as you were asking.

So far as trees 10' apart. I believe 11' is the minimum I'd go on that Blackbird, and very minimum, for a good hang. With 6' slings you can certainly go much farther, and there appeared to be a lot of other trees in that image.

Hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by ftroop94; 06-27-2012 at 17:08.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

This will sound like a S.A. remark, but it isn't, but since your goal seems to be a secure set up in minimal time with minimal effort, the war bonnet strap and buckle rig would shine.

Hammock
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ftroop94 View Post
    Responding to the wrapping the tree straps around the tree question:

My suggestion would be to only wrap the tree hugger around the tree one time, feed the amsteel (whoopie) through the other loop and attach the Dutch hook to the continuous loop. You are now using the tree stap as part of your suspension (which is fine). You may have to shorten your whoopis if the trees are closer together.

Only wrapping it once will also make it easier to raise or lower as you were asking.

So far as trees 10' apart. I believe 11' is the minimum I'd go on that Blackbird, and very minimum, for a good hang. With 6' slings you can certainly go much farther, and there appeared to be a lot of other trees in that image.

Hope this makes sense.
    Yep... I know exactly what you mean. I tried that at first, but...

1. trees were too close together.
    2. straps were too long.
    3. whoopies were to long even when I shortened them all the way.

(I had to setup there based off our configuration with the campfire and the other person's tent.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Hammock
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    This will sound like a S.A. remark, but it isn't, but since your goal seems to be a secure set up in minimal time with minimal effort, the war bonnet strap and buckle rig would shine.
    You are exactly right! No offense taken either.

I really do like the OEM suspension, but I saved 12 oz. (no joke!) switching my suspension on my hammock and switching my lines on my tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness

If the trees are too close there's not much you can do about it, it's one of the only downsides to using whoopies IMHO
    Why not get some Dutch Buckles on your webbing so you can at least attach your whoopies right up next to the bark if you need to.

Get some longer huggers if the trees are likely to be chunky, I have to use 12' straps in some parts of Scotland. Get some poly webbing and make a few sets up, sewing one loop by hand for a Dutch Clip and then slide your buckles on.

Buckles will help you cinch your straps right down, you'll only be restricted by the double layer of the sewn loop at the end, by then the trees are probably not safe anyway.

See above

A marlin spike hitch is the other option if you don't want the Buckles.

I sound like an advert for Dutch but the Clips and Buckles have been some of my best buys of late, as well as his Flyz and Hooks

Buckle

Clip

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Before I read your post and responded I was bouncing the idea around (in my own little head) of picking up some Dutch hooks and Amsteel to make this setup. My thought process was twofold. Make continuous loop for all my hammock means making one set of whoopies for all hammocks and to save a few grams over Dutch Buckles.

Seeing that one has to Larkshead the fixed end of the whoopie through the strap loop does limit the setup some in my opinion now. I'm sure those smarter than I have already overcome this issue, but what I see myself doing is going with Dynaglide to save a few ounces and sticking with my Dutch Buckle setup. It should be close to a wash In terms of weight...and I believe the hooks are designed for 7/64 not 2 mm. Could be wrong on that. Also having plenty of whoopies allows me to encourage friends to borrow my hammocks.

I just picked up two Hennessy Cubs for my pups and need to order some Dynaglide from Dutch. I think I'll stay clear of the hooks and go with buckles or toggles based on your experience. His buckles give a great deal of flexibility.
    Last edited by ftroop94; 06-27-2012 at 18:01.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post

If the trees are too close there's not much you can do about it, it's one of the only downsides to using whoopies IMHO
    Why not get some Dutch Buckles on your webbing so you can at least attach your whoopies right up next to the bark if you need to.

Get some longer huggers if the trees are likely to be chunky, I have to use 12' straps in some parts of Scotland. Get some poly webbing and make a few sets up, sewing one loop by hand for a Dutch Clip and then slide your buckles on.

Buckles will help you cinch your straps right down, you'll only be restricted by the double layer of the sewn loop at the end, by then the trees are probably not safe anyway.

See above

A marlin spike hitch is the other option if you don't want the Buckles.

I sound like an advert for Dutch but the Clips and Buckles have been some of my best buys of late, as well as his Flyz and Hooks

Buckle

Clip
    Thanks Skewie & ftroop94, I am leaning towards the Dutch Buckle system which I also own. I have another post called Dutch Buckles vs Dutch Hooks. Check it out if you have time. Thanks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I was really hoping I would get more feedback
    Thanks to those that did and do! I appreciate it!
    "Be Safe & Live the Outdoors!"

www.pahikingtrails.com / www.georflf.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The short spacing can be solved by by-passing the whoopie altogether and hooking a continuous loop over the Marlin spike(or Dutch buckle, or Elephant trunk). Continuous loops on a hammock end are very handy.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast