Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Truly I don't understand how a user group works vs. a forum topic area?
    But I like the whole international melting pot we have going here. If I were to try to start a Michigan group hang, I can just post it in the hangout get together section and I would welcome anyone who wants to come to the hang... not just michiganders.

The GoKart example seems like the Roundtable Off topic would be the perfect place for that. That would seem to be a pretty small cross section of the community so a user group so specific seems like overkill. Thats just my opinion, not trying to be rude. If I want to find something specific like Gokart hammock camping I go to google and search hammock forums ie: site:hammockforums.net gokart , and if anyone ever mentioned gokarts it will come up. And not breaking into user groups but just having it come up in the "new posts" or "todays posts" means I might see something I didn't know I was interested in (gokarts) but now suddenly am, so I click in to read more.

The gokart example was just off the top of my head, and probably a bad one. Yes, the area hanger's groups are probably the best example. Those should be public, IMHO. If off topic user groups where allowed they would be private for donating members only.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    In the donating members section there are already places to post about paddling, cutlery, and other topics that are non-hammock related. What you are describing already exists to a very limited extent. It's not a bad idea, but the off topic forum seems to cover the need, at least for now, and in a manner acceptable to the Mods. I don't profess to be a techie, but it would seem to me that usergroups would add a whole other level of complexity to HF that I'm not sure would be helpful.

I'm not sure I understand your frustration with the off-topic forum.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    www.meetup.com

Lots of 'em.

Rain Man

I gave that link a try. Here's the answer i received.

There aren't any “Hammock camping” Meetups within 25 miles of Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.

*To be fair, Brown Hollow and The Hill are farther than 25 miles away
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I gave that link a try. Here's the answer i received.

There aren't any “Hammock camping” Meetups within 25 miles of Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.
    WOW... an excellent opportunity to start one ... with no competition!!!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Wow, I originally posted this not expecting so much discussion,(then didn't come back for a while:/) but, a lot of good points. I totally see the reason not to want to fracture the community. Specifically I was looking for a group in my state to make it easier to discuss local issues with local hangers. Certainly I don't think there should be groups for things like DIY, full time, ect. as these are fairly global interests and are best handled with sub forums. But, I wonder if 50-100+ regional sub forums would be reasonable or even if there would be interest. Then theres the discussing of hammocking related issues specific to different activitys and disciplines biking (road or mountain), paddling (canoe, kayak, pontoon, or rowboat), hiking (fast and light, day, backpacking, ect.), car camping, power boating, backyard hanging, the list could go on and on. Of course there would be varying interest and perhaps not enough for some. Bottom line though is that I'm new here and don't understand the community as well as you all who have been here a while so I agree with those now with those who don't want to fracture it. But what about regional sub forums based on interest level? Just a suggestion from a noob TIFWII.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12