Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Hammock Sock Condensation Issues/Questions

I just got done from testing my hammock sock and want to post a question and some obervations while they are fresh in my head.

This is my 3rd or 4th night using my hammock sock. The other times I did not see any noticeable condensation. The outside temps were only in the high teens and twenties. This time was a completly different story. When I got in my hammock the outside temp was 8 F with a wind chill of -2 F and a dew point of -3 F. When I got out it was 4 F with a wind chill of -7 F and a dew point of -6 F.

After about an hour I started to notice some condensation. Nothing too bad. However by hour 3 I noticed a lot of condensation. I used a fleece to wipe off some of the condensation. But it reformed pretty quickly. It got to the point that whenever the hammock moved I felt a little mist in my face. Not to fun or good for me keeping my bag dry.

I was really toasty other than this. The temp inside the sock on the ridgeline above my chest was in the low 40's. Around waist level it was in the high 20's. The sock was doing a good job of blocking the wind and traping in the heat.

The bottom 2/3 of the sock is DWR and the top 1/3 (from about shoulder to shoulder) is uncoated ripstop.

Is this just a cold weather condensation issue? Any thoughts on stopping this? I know this has a lot to do with dew points and nylon breathablity.

I am considering adding a noseeum 'window' above where my head is to vent some mosture. But that would vent some heat. This could give the effect of a double wall tent vs a single wall.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Interesting observation. I wonder if it has more to do with the low temperature or with the dewpoint. At some point, you're just going to be damp...short of precipitation, humidity inside the sock will always be a bit higher than humidity outside, I think.

But dew should act like precip, no? It condenses and falls from the air, rather than being everywhere like humidity. Or maybe I misunderstand how that works. Interesting in hearing what smarter folks have to say about it.

That's one reason I wanted a zipper in mine...I can stick my head out and get rid of the biggest moisture producer (and hot air producer) - my mouth.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    That was kind of my thought. I was hoping the smart people would chime in. Was it so cold that the mosture in my breath basically came out as more of a liquid than a gas?

I was able to pull it back so that my head was uncovered. I think it would have worked. But now I was breathing in air closer to the outside temp, then the warmer air inside. That really isn't fun. On a side note, Jeff I think you are right to use a zipper. I think it would be easier than just the one opening.

Temps this low while hiking are pretty rare. But something to consider.

Nice to see that I'm not the only one here who does not sleep.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'm getting the impression that having the zipper to be able to stick your head out is going to be just about the best answer... especially in that small of a space.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

sock alternate

A week or so back, we had a mini cold front in florida, I tried out a new idea to cope.

I used a poncho liner I have. It has ties on it at each corner. Rigging it over the ridge line, I tied two corners together, around the foot of the hammock. The liner is 8 feet or so long, so it reached well past my head.

I could get in the hammock, I now use two pads, so they surrounded me on the bottom and sides.

With the liner pulled up past my head, hanging over the hammock,I was cosy as could be. I left an air hole a foot beyond my head.

In higher winds, this might not work without more fasteners, but with some elastic cord. I think it can be adapted.

Miles of smiles
    Tom

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    A week or so back, we had a mini cold front in florida, I tried out a new idea to cope.

I used a poncho liner I have. It has ties on it at each corner. Rigging it over the ridge line, I tied two corners together, around the foot of the hammock. The liner is 8 feet or so long, so it reached well past my head.

I could get in the hammock, I now use two pads, so they surrounded me on the bottom and sides.

With the liner pulled up past my head, hanging over the hammock,I was cosy as could be. I left an air hole a foot beyond my head.

In higher winds, this might not work without more fasteners, but with some elastic cord. I think it can be adapted.

Miles of smiles
    Tom
    Interesting idea. You get the warm air space inside with less weight. The drawback would be to air cooling the bottom. Not as big of a deal with only using ccp underneath.

Got any pics to share.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The first thing that comes to mind is some sort of venting system. You are basically putting a tent around the hammock. Tents will have some serious condensation problems if they are not properly cross-ventilated. Maybe a couple of small vent holes that can be opened up.

It just may have been the really low temps that caused your problem.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    HE - Did you try opening up the drawstring some? I made sure to leave a bit of a hole on the foot end, and then at Rogers Jeff suggested pulling the head end closer to me and letting it stay open a bit, too. Combined with the airflow you've still got through the nylon, that should give you plenty of ventilation.

I tend to follow the philosophy that says that the simplest solutions are often the best ones - that's why I made a sock rather than a pod in the first place. I haven't tried it yet, but I think dropping the sock off the ridge - so that it wraps my body closer but leaves my head exposed - may be the best idea in really REALLY cold weather.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I had the head end open some. I think that my breath kept going in the and up, and then condensing on the sock.

When I leave my head out it works, but then I'm breathing in cold air.

If I make another one with a drawstring, or if anyone else does, I am going to make the sleve the draw cord goes through bigger. I had problems fully closing the end. I noticed that before I had been leaving the head end pretty open.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Maybe the pores in the nylon are just going to close up past a certain temp, like Jeff said.

I think I made the drawstring channel on mine so that the string would have about a 1" opening to run through. I haven't had any issues. What size cord are you using? That can make a difference too - a larger diameter cord will help just as much as a larger channel.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast