Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Back from Arkansas!

This past week I took a vacation with a buddy of mine to Long Pool Recreational Area in the southern tip of the Ozark National Forest. I've previously mentioned that I have one night of sleeping in my hammock in the woods under my belt, so this was still quite the learning experience.

We stayed for three days/nights, and it was a blast! Being from Louisiana, I couldn't believe there was a place that didn't have mosquitoes! I brought a sleeping bag just in case, but judging from the heat (very reminiscent of Louisiana) I decided to lend it to my buddy so he could have a little extra cushion since he was sleeping in a tent. That was a big mistake! Around 3 o'clock I almost froze to death, and that's saying a lot since I'm a big guy and put off a LOT of heat! Other than being cold, I had no problems with comfort or soreness. I also packed a pillow this go round and it made things that much better.

The second night was the best sleep of the trip. I used my unzipped sleeping bag as a liner, and when the temperature dropped, I burritoed myself in. I woke up the next morning thinking I was home and in bed for a second! (except that I was more rested than I've ever been in my bed)

The third night was rough. It seemed Louisiana had come to find me, because even though there wasn't mosquitoes, the summer night heat found me. I had to throw the sleeping bag and the pillow overboard. When I finally got to sleep, it was comfortable (besides the heat) and still no soreness! All in all, I don't think I'll ever be using a tent again!

So after picking up a few tips and tricks from scouring the forums, I've come up with this temporary setup. It works, but it's a little limiting. I'm running some SMC rings that I modified my hammock with, and two 10' ft. ratchet straps that I bought from Wal-Mart. I bought a couple of pieces of galvanized pipe and use those as the toggles for my marlin spike hitches (Thanks Grizz for showing me this knot!!!) I'm using what is probably a knock off of the ENO Doublenest that I found on Overstock.com, and an ENO bug net. Right now I'm setting up both individually, so my set up/take down time is a little long, but I'm thinking of investing in some Hennessy Snake Skins or something to that effect so I can keep everything together and shorten the setup time. Here are some pics:

The first is the SMC ring and the marlin spike hitch

The second was the full setup. I didn't set up a tarp since there was no chance of rain for all three days. (It made looking at the stars fantastic!) But I did bring a tarp just in case.

If any of you fine folks have any suggestions about affordable storage methods of the entire system, or a great idea on some better strappage, let me know. I have some extra amsteel rope, but there are no loops at the end of these straps. I could tie a double sheet bend, but I'd like to ditch these straps since they have some s hooks that I could not get out. Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Interesting suspension. There are lots of other ways to skin the cat, but I don't know that any of them would serve you better. Run with it.

I think every one of us has had that "ah hah" moment when we discovered it's quite possible to get chilled even in the grips of summer.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome to the trees! Nice report.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Nice report. I was equally surprised when I did the Buffalo National River, at the lack of bugs. And yeah, early May and I was cold by midnight without my UQ. So I always hung the UQ and regulated with the TQ, sleeping bag liner or what ever. Nice to NOT have to get up, just toss the covers.....just like home....only better.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Nice report. Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for posting.

• + New Posts