Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Final report - pics later

Last night it was -24 C (-11 F) at the evening and -22 C (-8 F) at the morning.

No problems. Clothing - same. Weathercover - closed.

Wiggy's bag warmed up instantly, Exped pad took aboun 5-10 minutes. No cold spots anywhere, I did adjust those halved EVA pads little, the other one was moved away from the optimal spot.

Now I know I can sleep safely many nights in row in -25 C (-13 F) temperature. And when I add my normal winter under ware and normal acclimation to the cold there will be no problems in hanging even -30 C (-22 F). And if it hits under -35 C (-31 F) I can always sleep on ground if I get cold in hammock.

But here in Finland temperature under -30 (-22 F) is rare and those nights it can be avoided by going up to the hill, where it can be substantially warmer than on the low ground. For example in Kuopio on top of the hill it can be -18 C (0 F) and at the same time at the lakes ice it can be -25 C (-13 F). And the height difference is only about 70 m (229 feet). Cold air simply flows down. And in Lapland this phenomenon is even more pronounced because there can be temperatures as cold as -40 C (-40 F).

Now I have my cold weather habitat covered - next thing would be to test functioning all day and day after another in -25 C to -35 C (-13 F to -31 F) temperatures even in windy conditions.

At some point I have a dream to make an "expedition" (similar to this one:http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16999) to the Lapland during cold and sunless season late December, January or at early February.
    Last edited by voivalin; 12-25-2012 at 09:33.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Thanks for great report!
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Images

Hilleberg XP 10 tarp is too small for DB 72 when used in wrong direction, short side as a ridge line. And when used in right way it does not reach low enough. But for summer and warm weather winter use it is a good tarp.

No frost or snow this time over weather cover.

Wiggy's Antarctic is a HUGE bag, it does not fit well in any smaller hammock than DB 72 at least when used with thick air mattress.

The last image shows the frost that dropped from weather cover at two mornings in the row. There is no worry over this, because it is very dry ice and it is easily taken care of by lifting the bag out from the hammock and sweeping it to the ground.

Last edited by voivalin; 12-25-2012 at 04:05.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Andersons View Post
    Thanks for great report!
    I trie to write some stuff that could be helpful to fellow hammock users, but one can not be never sure if things one writes up are really meaningful.

So, Thanks for Your time and interest and I'm happy if there is some use for my ramblings and pictures.

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    This sort of looks like you're in the front yard. I'll bet your neighbors scratch their head driving by, never mind the wife

Hard to imagine being warm at all. I've never even been in weather this cold and frosty.

Thanks for this write up on this Dangerbird. It makes me more determined then ever to try and make one like it myself. I may put ripstop on the bottom, taffeta, ripstop cover with a separate bugnet & zippers. Seeing's how my wife has to have everything I do, sure can't afford the good stuff. Anyways, love the Dangerbird from t-shirt weather in Las Vegas, NV. USA.

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    How does that come together up underneath the ends, how's it sewn? If you don't mind me asking. It sort of looks like it would leak insects if the ends are just covered with shock cord material.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HungLow View Post
    How does that come together up underneath the ends, how's it sewn? If you don't mind me asking. It sort of looks like it would leak insects if the ends are just covered with shock cord material.
    Zippers go all the way and there is a patch of omni-tape at the tip of the weather cover and bug net (it can be used to keep the cover/bug net in place if zippers are open).

Maybe Highland midges or similar could an would crawl in with sufficient quantities to make harm - but probably not other insects.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Great ongoing report, thanks for taking the time to write it. I just ordered a Dangerbird due to this (and a few other) excellent reports. Very excited for it!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345