SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Smile Second Wave of the Winter to come!

Yes!!!

It is cold again and I can go on with my winter rig.

It is -11 C (12 F) out there and very windy. Southern Finland (the coastal area) got 1 feet of the snow in 20 hours. Currently here in Kuopio wind speed is 8 m/s (26 feet/second).

Again the Exped Synmat 9 DLX + one Fjällräven ground sheet + other ground sheet cut half and cleverly arranged to avoid cold shoulder syndrome.

Wiggy's Super Light (Ironic name )

No need for tarp, if it snows here I will trust DB's weather cover and Wiggy's bag.

Wool underwares, Alpaca cap, wool socks, Psolar hood (to keep my nose warm), leather gloves (my new outdoors gloves)

Here we go, Have a nice sleep!

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Thumbs up Pics are here

Night went well. The under insulation system was warmer than the Super Light. I did feel when the wind stole away the heat from the top insulation even with the weather cover and double layer hammock material. But the bottom insulation stayed warm.

Here are some pics after the night. Mainly to show how little there was condensation.

In the first image there is snow in the head area, with side lines this would have not been a problem.

But after the snow was removed only the ice and snow frozen to the moisture from the condensation is left.

There was some frost inside the weather cover, but not much. Here is all the condensation in Super Light.

Wery small patch as seen in here. And by the way, I was fully inside the bag whole night, my head too. I think the small amount of condensation is the effect of the Psolar mask. I kept it over my face whole night.

Next we have here some images of the insulation system. First the EVA pads.

Second image shows how nicely the hammock stays in open form.

The next level of the insulation the Exped SynMat 9 DLX.

And the Super Light. It is very easy sit in, put ones feet inside to the sleeping bag and close the size 10 zipper. And when inside the bag I can adjust the Exped pad to the perfect spot, the fully inflated pad is very easy to move around even if laying on it inside sleeping bag. If it was only partially inflated it would not be possible.

The last component is the weather cover.

Ready to go for the next night! So I will see if the Super Light is any colder than the first night due the moisture inside insulation. The weather will be bit colder, but with less wind. Forecast promises -15 C (5 F).

I'm very pleased about this system. It is simple and elegant. And there is still an option for UQ when the really cold weather comes. My deep cold rig starts to be in order.

The DB 72 DL makes this possible and I thank PapaSmurf for the greatest winter hammock I have ever seen.

And You reader - I thank You for Your time and interest too!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Macat
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Sauna

Hopefully if it gets too cold, you have a sauna nearby...

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Of course

Quote Originally Posted by romaki View Post
    Hopefully if it gets too cold, you have a sauna nearby...
    How about 30 feet?

But there was no need for that. Night was cloudy, and temperature stayed at -11 C (12 F). And no wind. So the second night was warmer than the first - toasty at some point even. Wind situation made a big difference.

Now I have my basic winter system ready. I think it will take me to the -18 C (0 F) just as Wiggy's grading system promises (when using tarp). Normal local winter temperature is covered. But if I go to the Lapland or it is february then I need to use the Wiggy's Antarctic bag.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    voivalin, you should get a UQP or sock... You'll get a little more warmth retained & the condensation won't be as much of an issue.

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    Really nice hammock...

Images
    Very interesting thread!

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    I noticed you saying this is more of a winter hammock and didn't see a question on it. How do you think this will fair with warmer types of weather, say 75 or 80 (F) daytime temps.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

For Winter Only

Quote Originally Posted by HungLow View Post
    I noticed you saying this is more of a winter hammock and didn't see a question on it. How do you think this will fair with warmer types of weather, say 75 or 80 (F) daytime temps.
    The reason for this DB 72 DL being winter hammock is the weight and back size. Too much to drag around when it is summer. Too big for small pack.

And in summer there is no need for lots of insulation and therefore no need for Big hammock. My pads (mainly the Exped DLX 9) and Wiggy's bags (Antarctic and Super Light) do not fit in SwitchBack, their thickness make it tippy and they also fall out very easily.

In SwitchBack I can sleep any direction I want when the bug net is closed and even turn it around for open hammock. We have very luminous nights during summer and view is more important than in the darkness of the winter nights.

The zipper with two pullers is also better system than DB:s one puller system.

Also no need for weather cover during summer.

But of course Danger Bird 72 is very comfortable hammock also in summertime!
    I'm constantly making orders with lighter version for summer DB, FB or RG and then canceling them because I already have four different kind of hammocks.
    Last edited by voivalin; 12-20-2012 at 14:54.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Antartic to the game

Hello again,

It is getting cold again. Last night it was - 22 C (-4 F). I took the Wiggy's Antarctic bag and used same EVA pad x2 + Exped Synmat 9 DLX as earlier. Cotton pajamas, wool socks, gloves, Alpaca wool cap and Psolar mask.

At about two a clock it was so warm and sweaty I had to open the cinched opening of the bag to vent the extra heat away. At same time I opened the first feet of weather shields both zippers so that moisture could escape out. And after short nap I did cinch bags strings close again and slept to the morning.

There was three surprises.

First one: I have never ever been so hot and sweaty in my life during hammock use. Was it the weather cover + Antarctic?

Second one: I sleep on my sides with this system. It is just like sleeping in bed, first right side, then left side and so on. I tried to sleep on my back as usually in hammock, but it did not work. This happened also in my earlier experiments. I think it is the fully inflated Exped pad.

Third one: Under insulation was sufficient. During morning hours I did felt sides of the bag being little cold around my hip area, but because of the sleeping on my side it did not matter at all. But it was a sign that if going colder more insulation is needed. But maybe more clothing will be enough.

And one side note about Wiggy's bags. Super light was bigger when being inside the bag than Antarctic. Maybe Wiggy's bags are all same size outside and the insulation makes warmer bags smaller inside. They say their web site that in summer the bag should be roomier and that there is hugging style sizing in their cold weather bags because it makes the bag warmer. So maybe they simply make the outside part of the bag always same (I mean if comparing same size but different model bags) and then stuff more or less insulation inside it.

When the sun rises I will go and take some pictures... condensation and such...

Experiment continues tonight. Hammock and bag will stay outside as they are, no drying or any other kind of maintenance. Weather should be same as was last night.
    Last edited by voivalin; 12-23-2012 at 02:36.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast