Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Interesting. For those who say it's shaky, which way does it shake? Head to toe or side to side?

I like the link to the Kee Klaps...lots of possibilities there. I think having the feet more like that of a swing set would be more stable. However, I realize that would mean purchasing more pipe and a heavier end-product.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler 11ft
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Newriver
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I just got all the 1" pipe at HD and had them cut and thread them. As I put them all together by hand tightening like many have discussed. I got wondering if just hand tightening all the connections, if anyone has feared the pipes not getting tight enough and/or has had a pipe come undone? Only reason I ask is I hand tightened one of the top pipes until hand tight and I pulled down on it, the pipe fell as I guess it was only hanging on a few threads even though it was hand tight. Any ideas or suggestions as to how much thread needs to be threaded on each connection to support my 180lb body in my hammock without fear of a overhead pipe falling on my head?

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    I used a cheapo pipe wrench. Been using the stand almost every night for nearly 2 years.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi,

I am thinking about making this stand using Kee Klamp tubes and fittings (see attached photo).

Anyone with experience of this setup? Have been advised that the 42mm would be the minimum diameter to take the load, this sound right?

Thanks,

Ed.

quote.jpg

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cut.la.roc View Post
    Hi,

I am thinking about making this stand using Kee Klamp tubes and fittings (see attached photo).

Anyone with experience of this setup? Have been advised that the 42mm would be the minimum diameter to take the load, this sound right?

Thanks,

Ed.

quote.jpg
    You may be able to use Derek's Ultimate Hang Calculator to measure what loads will be incurred by your stand.
    Then see what hardware and clamps will withstand those loads. Ive used a 1" pipe stand nightly for 2 years - no problems yet.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi Loki,

Thanks for the info.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So I ended up buying the kee klamp fittings and tube to make the stand and have just put it altogether for the first time today (photos attached).

I was advised to use 42mm tubing which I have to see seems like overkill and is pretty heavy.

The horizontal section sags a little due to the weight of the tubes and the fact the fittings aren't an especially tight fit. Have only tested it briefly but seems to hold my weight ok (famous last words!).

Q. I have the atlas straps which are rated at 200Lbs each wrapped a single time around the bar, is this going to do any damage to the straps?

Any feedback/suggestions for improvement welcome.

stand-1.jpg stand-2.jpg

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cut.la.roc View Post
    Q. I have the atlas straps which are rated at 200Lbs each wrapped a single time around the bar, is this going to do any damage to the straps?
    They will be fine. Definitely less wear from the pipe stand than you get with them wrapped around a tree.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    My pipe stand had an epic fail on Christmas Day.

I assembled the pipe stand (1" galvanized pipe) in my bedroom, over my bed, thinking that if the suspension failed, at least it would be a cushioned landing. The stand was a little shaky in both directions: side to side, and head to toe, but not precarious. Each week, I would hand-tighten the vertical pieces (they would loosen up a half turn).

When assembling the stand, one pipe didn't seem to take as many turns before it stopped turning. It didn't seem right, but heck, what did I know about pipe fittings? After two months of using the stand nightly, I climbed in on Christmas for a quick late-afternoon nap. Something wasn't right - I shifted forcibly to another position. The next I knew, wham!, and I was sitting on my bed.

The crossbar had come free of the tee joint (those balky threads) and 20 pounds of pipe had landed squarely on the back of my head. Ouch. For the next two weeks, I could feel (from the inside of my head) where the pipe had hit me. It was another few weeks before that egg-sized area was no longer sensitive to the touch.

The day after the epic fail, I went back to Lowe's and they cut off the bad threads and re-threaded it. It's been fine since (6+ months); still using it nightly. Lesson learned? If it doesn't seem right, have it checked out!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler 11ft
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Newriver
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Has anyone tried a top ridgeline that is two -5ft sections with a section in the middle so the set up would have two unions vs one?

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast