One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I'm using 1.75 .. I love this setup .. what I like most is the antenna is away from the stinger .. so it's really easy to use and keeps the retention area away from the working area .. it also doesn't try to invert on you .. next to the whoopie hooks .. these are my favorite Dutch item ..

>> Dejoha ... loving the illustration .. nicely done .. again .. <<
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    Hardware gadgets like this and the niteize figure 9s not only make it stupid easy to tie off lines but the real benefit is that it allows you to get the line/tarp really tight without having to tie a knot while trying not to losing line tension.....makes the whole operation really easy.
    +1 Priller

- Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    More and more, I'm hanging at around 12 ft (3.6 m) between anchor points. .
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    What cordage works best with stingerz?

I'm with you on the 12' spacing, btw, and this rigging enables that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    i agree too,,, shorter the better. ~12' is premium.

i ask only because my curiosity leads me to some old growth firs that quickly eat up line--- regardless sometimes of distance.
    I have a blackbird and I find the best distance to hang it is 15' to 18'. Hamhocker has a JRB Bridge Hammock and hangs it at 15'. With a tarp that is 11 and now 12' I can't see how you hang in 12' between the trees
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Ewker, I will concede that each personal set-up will have its "optimal" hang distance. Hammock and tarp size are factors so I should have clarified what I mean for my set-up.

I often use the GoLite Poncho as my shelter. The GoLite Poncho Tarp has a ridgeline of almost 10 ft (3 m). This past week I also used the Hennessy Cat Cape tarp that has an 11 ft (3.4 m) ridge line. I only need anchors that clear the tarp plus a foot or two on each side for rigging.

As you noted, many tarps have a ridge line of 11 ft (3.4 m), so a distance of 12-13 ft (3.5-4 m) works just fine, as long as you have your rigging optimized for this distance. For example, traditional Whoopie slings with a minimum collapsed distance of 18 in (46 cm), don't often work. This is one reason I use a continuous loop at each end of my hammock and can connect directly to my strap instead of using a Whoopie + strap. This reduces my pack weight a little, shaving grams off of my straps and suspension, although I often bring a pair of short Whoopies (3-4 ft/1-1.2 m) for "just-in-case" scenarios.

The DutchWare Stingerz also help with these close-in pitches because I can rig it up right at the end of the tarp with ease.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Very much enjoy your illustrations. As such, I bought the Ultimate Hang on iTunes just now.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Some folks don't tie knots. ;-)

True, some make whoopies.....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    ENO Pro, Noah 12
    Insulation
    20* HGInc,GoL 3STQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I have a modification that would make it slightly more flexible.

1. Instead of tying your line to the Stingerz eye, you could put a small loop
    2. Put a Dutch Hook on the end of your cord

Then you have an option: If the tree diameter and distance to the tarp is short enough, you can do the full V formation and attache your cord to the loop on the eye with the Dutch hook. If not, you can just wrap the line around the tree and hook the Dutch hook to it. You lose the V formation, but you do not have to use an extension to get it set up.

Sorry, I am not nearly as gifted as Dejoha with illustrations. If there was a way to do it with ASCII art, I might have a chance.

I need to order some more Dutch Hooks... and might as well order some Stingerz as well.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    After reading the rest of the thread....my $0.02.

Loving that 1.75mm Zing it. As for knots, a rolling hitch with four on the support side and two on the load side (Call it a "doubled rolling hitch" if you want") will hold with Zing it under load and allows you to tie then tighten. it also allows for easy adjustment without unwrapping. It will not hold with the "book version" of the rolling hitch (tautline hitch also is a name for it) without the extra wraps due to line slickness, at least as I have found. Also, if you don't tie the knot just right, same issue. Paracord and reflective 3M cord is forgiving in that regard.

That said, the hardware is nice if you are a hardware lash kind of person rather than a knot person or a whoopie person. Personally, my ridgeline for my Cooke Tundra Tarp is a 30' length of zing it with whoopies on either end that are connected to mini biners. Gives me a ridgeline for the tarp, it's a 10x14 tarp, so I have 10 under the tarp, 3 to a tree either side, and 3 back to the tarp, and 3 to go round the tree figuring 18". The whoopies are 10' loops allowing me to choke it all the way down to tarp width. It's a heavier system obviously, one I use for canoe camping where the water carries the load for the majority of the journey, but it's very nice.

Hammock I use primarily is a Clark with the new attachment, so I'm not stringing a separate tarp line as their system just works and I don't feel inclined to try to tune it in any particular fashion.

That said, being more a knot guy, the advantage of this type of connection shown here, to me, lies in the take down. I an make something structurally similar with knots that's not much more effort. Takedown would be far more involved than this, though. It's easier as to get an adjustable knot to hold you have to make it tight enough to be a pain to get back out. You don't have to use Prusiks, though that's also an option, and it allows the additional force to tighten when you're not using a continuous ridgeline as I am doing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123