Tarp
    Still Deciding
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

First hang, mixed results.

Just took the family camping on a combined deer scouting trip and feral hog hunt. Good campsite. Wife and kids had the tent, I had my HH Exped that I got at REI. The Exped is for sub six footers, and I am almost 6'2".

We got to our site and got set up. My trees were a little close together, but my cover tarp tied off to my tree huggers. The eldest daughter and I took the little dog and went to lay out some hog bait and look for deer sign. Right after finding a 2 foot + diamondback rattlesnake it began to rain so we turned around. We laid our bait and headed back.

With several hours of rain I prepared dinner in the rain. The Mrs. and the kids ate in the tent, and just before sundown the rain stopped, and th humidity shot up. I got everyone settled and then it was time to rack out. Little Dog was fed and she decided she wasn't interested in kibble so she spilled her food.

My hammock was dry, and i climbed in and unzilled th bug net to enjoy th moonlight and read my Nook for a few minutes. We dropped down to the upper 50s with 30-40 mph wind. I guess i picked my site well, since I could hear the wind howling (the next morning we found several new blowdowns), but I only caught a breeze under my hammock and while the heat removed didn't chill me, it was noticeable. It was tough sleeping. Firstly, you notice that we broke several bear rules (bringing Little Dog, cooking at the campsite, letting a four and seven year old eat in the tent, dog food spilled near the campsite), and since we were in an area that produced the country's best known anthropomorphized bear and US Forrest Service mascot, I am sure that contributed to my lack of sleep. I was able to lay asym, and sleep on my side. The 1911 stuffed in my waistband in condition 3 didn't help.

About 0300 something bumped into my hammock and loudly snorted into my ear several times. Rather than try to look outside I made sure I had my gun accessable and then tried to look out the animal snorted into my ear on the side opposite my zipper, so looking out that side was quite a chore. Whatever it was slinked off quietly. Looking at the campsite the following morning it appeared that a couple of mule deer strolled through. She Who Must be Obeyed said that Little Dog got up about that time and was staring in the direction of my hammock, but the tent window was zipped shut.

Lessons learned:

1. I am sure I would have been more comfortable in a hammock correctly sized. Looking at HH offerings for folks my size ant their respective prices I see a Dangerbird 72 DL in my future.

2. My order from 2qZq of a UQP and peak bag will be most welcome. I am sure the UQP would have kept me warm enough, because a compressed, synthetic, el cheapo summer weight bag diid just fine. The peak bag will hold the pistol better than my waistband.

3. My Thermarest camp pillow lofts up too well... next time a stuff sack with clean clothes will be my solution. I didn't care for the angle of my neck most of the night.

4. I gotta practice hanging. My ridgeline was like a guitar sting, and my rain fly was a little loose. Next time I won't stick with trees too close together just to get camp set up and get hunting.

5. She Who Must Be Obeyed woke up with a sore, stiff back. She has not been camping in the last decade, she never goes with me because she doesn't like hunting. She wanted see what the hammock was like, so I showed her, not realizing that this year she crept over the weight limit. She climbed in, dozes off, took a 45 minute nap and woke up with all her back pain gone. She felt good enough to hike 4 miles, a good part of it cross country, to check my hog bait with me.

Pat

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Well, it's obvious who is going to get your Hennessy Hammock

On a more serious note, practicing safe camping habits does promote a good nights sleep
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Well lessons learned... I have always said if you can't sleep with your edc then you need to pick a better edc... I regularly sleep with all of mine( glock 19 extra mag and 5.5" inch fixed knife)... In the woods a gun can't be too close...

Well next time you will be smarter...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DB68
    Tarp
    Still Deciding
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Well lessons learned... I have always said if you can't sleep with your edc then you need to pick a better edc... I regularly sleep with all of mine( glock 19 extra mag and 5.5" inch fixed knife)... In the woods a gun can't be too close...

Well next time you will be smarter...
    Part of the problem with the pistol I had no belt on the clothes I elected to sleep in. My fanny pack or a dedicated AIWB would have held the gun more securely, accessably, and comfortably than an IWB attached to a drawstring waistband and shifted to the appendix position. Next time the fanny pack will likey get the job, or i can simply pick a pair of shorts with belt loops. I have been using IWB for the last 14 years, and can sleep quite comfortably anywhere when properly set up, much to the annoyance of several coworkers.

With luck by next year my backwoods pistol will be ready: Glock 20, RDS, AIWB holster. A little over half the weight, and with the right spring rates, 16 rounds of Buffalo Bore. If I can get a secure enough holster that will stay in position, I can stop the silly condion 3 nonsense...

pat

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    I'm switching from a Glock 27 to a S&W bodyguard.
    Smaller, lighter, laser, oh yeah.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Check out dale fricke custom kydex... He sells a holster called the arc angel... It is purposely built for Aiwb... I love his stuff, the guys a preacher who settles for nothing short of perfection in his gear... Pleasure to work with when ordering and will custom mold you anything you want... I don't/won't buy a pair of shorts without belt loops for this reason... Just found some oP brand nylon shorts with mesh pockets and belt loops ay Walmart for about $18 that I'm giving a go at camp duty... Thinking swimming shorts and sleeping shorts in one package...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Brazilian
    Yep. See here:
    http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/M...ck-3679385.php

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Check out dale fricke custom kydex... He sells a holster called the arc angel... It is purposely built for Aiwb... I love his stuff, the guys a preacher who settles for nothing short of perfection in his gear... Pleasure to work with when ordering and will custom mold you anything you want... I don't/won't buy a pair of shorts without belt loops for this reason... Just found some oP brand nylon shorts with mesh pockets and belt loops ay Walmart for about $18 that I'm giving a go at camp duty... Thinking swimming shorts and sleeping shorts in one package...
    Ding ding! Completely agree and I have the Op swimming trunks that have a side pocket for this reason.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    For the OP....sorry my quote function isn't working....

Greetings to a fellow nuevo mexicano....sounds like you were in the Cloudcroft area? Looking forward to going up there next weekend. Nice to have a campfire eh? One of the few areas left with just Stage 1 restrictions....

So what about the hogs man? Hoping to stalk a few myself....BTW where did you camp?

doin the rain dance....

Hammock
    DB68
    Tarp
    Still Deciding
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    For the OP....sorry my quote function isn't working....

Greetings to a fellow nuevo mexicano....sounds like you were in the Cloudcroft area? Looking forward to going up there next weekend. Nice to have a campfire eh? One of the few areas left with just Stage 1 restrictions....

So what about the hogs man? Hoping to stalk a few myself....BTW where did you camp?

doin the rain dance....
    Capitan. Stage II fire restrictions. We were camped right at the end of Pine Lodge Road. We got a few hours of steady rain.

I was disappointed that on the way in we saw no raodkill deer, and only one radkill hog. We hiked the north east trail of the wilderness area and put out some fresh sweet corn and some dried corn soaked in cheap beer. The next morning we hiked back to the bait area and it had barely been touched. There was a herd of cows there that looked like they were trying nibble the leaves off the sweet corn, and one cow in particular got very possessive of "her" grub. She bluff charged us three or four times, and kept trying to siddle around behind us. It only lasted 2-3 minutes before the Mrs. could get the kids safely away, but one of those charges (the 3rd?) I had my line in the sand and had to quickly get a round under the pin; it didn't look like a bluff. I knew I lacked enough gun to drop her on the spot, but I honestly give myself an 85% chance of hitting an advancing, moving target that large (75gr between the running lights, call it five by five inches) at 10 yards under stress while chambering a round.

Anyway, not Cloudcroft, but we saw deer, elk, bear, pig, and bobcat tracks and scat. The bear, pig, and bobcat were fresh, and two piles of deer smart pills were still a light chocolate brown , with soft, moist, bright green interiors so the carnivores were likely no more than 36-48 hours old, and I estimate the deer stuff was about 1-2 hours old.

Based on what the forrest service told me, I was a little disappointed. I was hunting an old burnscar. The ash and oak were no more than 2 feet high, and the conifers that weren't scorched were only 4-5 feet tall. Next trip we will ne taking the trailhead into the wilderness area, rather than the north boundry trail.

pat

• + New Posts