Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer

Noob question about design

I joined this forum some time ago while contemplating a number of issues relating to conventional camping as well as motorcycle travel. I have enjoyed reading a lot of incredible information as well as reviews of others experiences and advice.

I have purchased my first Hammoka Hammock and hung it in my yard, very badly, and came back here for a refresher on some of the basic elements that I'd already forgotten. What I found will enhance my hanging experience and I am really pleased, again, with the wealth of information available.

However, I have a design question about the general pattern relating to the shoulder sqeeze issues that I am experiencing. I don't want to review how I have hung my hammock because I've already discovered what I have done wrong and have resolved to correct those points. My question is a basic design issue that I remembered from my reading completed previously.

The problem of the tension along the sides of any hammock that tends to want to close over you, like a cacoon, have been addressed by side lines that hold the hammock open and help to stalibize any swinging as well as shift during entry/exit. However, I am forced to reflect on the overall shape of the basic ungathered hammock. Wouldn't it be effective to make the sides longer the the middle of the hammock, creating a hour glass shape. This image is somewhat confusing because normally, we consider the top and bottom of the hour glass when we focus on the shape, but I would suggest using the pinched sides of the shape and the top/bottom that are gathered for whipping. If you will allow the overall design to be the same size vertically as well as horizontally, and then adjust the amount of "curve in" to achieve the hour glass shape, I wonder if this wouldn't relax the tension along the sides of the hammock and relax the shoulder pinch effect allowing the hammock to lay more flat.

I would have preferred to have provided drawings and pictures of my design for this discussion, but I don't have the ability to present those elements for this discussion just now.

Maybe someone has already tried this design and maybe it failed, but this idea keeps haunting me and I had to post the question. If this is a new design idea, them I claim ownership as designer. If this is an old design idea, then I'm just another user who happened upon a similar idea.

I want to work on this design idea, to experiment with the shape to achieve a more relaxed lay of the overall hammock, but I'd be interested in some of your responses to my idea. Have I presented something new that I can patent or is this old ground?

Respectfully submitted...

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    If I understand you correctly, some of what you are describing is what is in the Bridge hammock. This has a sort-of hour-glass shape. It drops down the head and foot area and provides a flat lay.

It also sounds like you are pitching your hammock too tight. A Brazilian-style, gathered-end hammock should have a sag to it. Check out this post I wrote on sleeping in a Brazilian-style hammock.

Also, check this hammock camping basics illustration that might also provide some insight.

All the best!
    Last edited by dejoha; 07-03-2012 at 14:06.

Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer
    You have misunderstood my idea for shape. I reviewed your reference to the bridge hammock and what I am proposing is nothing like that shape or design. My design would not include any spreader bars. Using your imagination, view a sheet of paper, in portrait mode, with your head at the top of the sheet and your feet at the bottom. I can't use dimensions, because I have no idea what size is appropriate, but I would guess that the total length of the sheet would be about 130". Using your imagination, starting at the upper corner of either side of the this imaginary sheet, draw a simple arc from the the corner, dropping down toward the center of the sheet and arcing back up to the opposite corner at the top. The distance from the top edge, I would estimate at the center line of the sheet, to be approximately 4-5", before returning the the opposity top corner. Make this same cut on the bottom/foot edge. Another way to think of this shape would be to understand that the outter edge/side of the resulting hammock would be 130" while the center line of the sleeping area would be about 120". (I'd have to experiment with the overall dimensions to determine exactly what length and the radius of the curve would function best.) When you gather the ends to complete the whipping, the overall surface area will lay flatter, with the sides more relaxed because of the extra length. This is my design, without spreaders, and without creating a "foot box/head box" that seems to be added to the bridge style.

Regarding my first hammock, which may still be considered brand new and, I suspect, subject to break-in stretching. The nylon ropes I'm using are also stretching some, so the first time I hung the hammock, it looked good, until I sat in it and touched the ground with my butt. I tightened the hang straps and went through this checking set-up again. Tightened again and the hang height was about four feet with virtually no sag, but when I sat down, my legs could still touch the ground and I was able to lay comfortably. However, the side were too tight and biting into my arm pits if I placed my arms over the sides to facilitate viewing out of the hammock.

I reasoned that it was too tight and began to theorize ways to reduce the tension and create a more relaxed lay. by incorporating the suspension system and the ridge line, I think I could suspend the hammock from loops at a fixed location along the ridge line that would control the tension of the sag while supporting the hammock. It is apparent to me, as I write this that the ridge line is going to be much lower when loaded than when unladen, creating a problem for actually hanging a tarp.

Viewing one of the illustrations that you have provided, I see that you have mounted the ridge line below the suspension lines to create a flat line for hanging a tarp, but I think the issue of sag laden vs unladen will be similar.

I must add that I've spent about 30 minutes total, of my entire life, in a hammock, so I am operating from an experience deficit. Obviously, the smartest thing for me to do would be to take all your experience and apply it for a few nights. However, my creative energy, and my committment to my employer, don't allow me that latitude right now. I am having a bit of trouble with your advice on hanging the tree hugger straps, but that may be because I didn't place them high enough. I can see in your illustration that they are almost 6' hight. I will examine that effect as well.

Thank you for your comments. I look forward to experimenting with this information.
    Last edited by Elessar; 07-03-2012 at 14:33. Reason: radius & curve comment

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I you are describing a hammock body cut like this failed hammock.bmp.jpg with the left and right edges gathered...no, it doesn't work.

With the sides longer then the middle, they fall in under you and leave you trying to lay on a "rope".

You can easily try this with any gathered and whipped hammock by gathering the material and pulling the centers out a few inches before whipping.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Nope! Don't waste you time & materials - I've already done that for you Laying in that hammock was like trying to ride a bull. I couldn't stay on even for 8 seconds!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Interesting... What about if you go the opposite way and add just a hair of material and that might get rid of ridges...

Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer

thanks for your advice

I prefer to take advantage of the experienced words offered here. I had intended to use a rectangle and adjust the curve of the ends in the whipping process, but since you've already tried it, never mind. Glad I asked. It would seem that my method of suspension needs adjustment to achieve a more relaxed sides. I love this place!

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Also, lose the nylon ropes- they stretch!
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

If you whip it so that the edges of the hammock point towards the ground, it helps to prevent the cocoon effect. If you were looking straight at the gathered end of the hammock, it would look like this: /{}\ (I'm no good with pictures, sorry, but I hope you get the idea of the two downward facing edges with the middle gathered as usual)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

Regarding my first hammock, which may still be considered brand new and, I suspect, subject to break-in stretching. The nylon ropes I'm using are also stretching some.....
    Elessar, it isn't a matter or breaking it in, stretching is an inherent property of nylon.

• + New Posts