Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock Newbie Cold Weather Question, Why not enclose the entire hammock in a quilt?

I have been thinking about getting a hammock as sleeping on the ground is something I absolutely hate. In my research into the hammocks I have not found the answer to a question.

I know there are top quilts and bottom quilts but I wonder why not simply enclose the entire hammock in insulation, wrapping from the bottom, over the netting and back so that you have a quilt hammock around the actually supporting hammock. Is there some reason people don't do this?

One of the things i hate about sleeping in a sleeping bag is the constricted movement. I like to be able to move around, go on my side and so on. I am hoping I can do this in a hammock as a tent and the ground is just making me to not want to go camping.

Images
    A pea pod. It's been done.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The pea pod is a great option, but like with a lot of hammock stuff, the modular flexibility of a separate TQ and UQ seems to be what most prefer. I also think you can get away with less material - less weight - with the separate top and bottom.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kraythe View Post
    ... why not simply enclose the entire hammock in insulation, wrapping from the bottom, over the netting and back so that you have a quilt hammock around the actually supporting hammock. ...One of the things i hate about sleeping in a sleeping bag is the constricted movement. I like to be able to move around, go on my side and so on. I am hoping I can do this in a hammock as a tent and the ground is just making me to not want to go camping.
    What you're describing is not exactly a pea pod, but more akin to a winter sock. Look at both. I think you'll find a pea pod quite constricting. It is literally an oversized sleeping bag around a hammock. I don't recall anyone quilting or insulating a winter sock. It would probably be too bulky for anything but car camping. But winter socks do cut the wind and block drafts. You still need quilts. But, hey. Work on your idea of an insulated winter sock. It may lead to something! Best of luck to you and welcome!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    You can use any sleeping bag that has an open foot end to wrap around a hammock burrito style. Some of these hammocks can be constricting in order to get a diagonal lay. I used a Kelty Galactic 30°F bag successfully this way. It was great.

Another bag that really works great is the Exped Dreamwalker 650 series. This is a wearable bag (another plus in my book). The LONG version of this bag fits around a hammock like a glove. Highly recommended. It is down-filled, warm, and on the pricy side, but well worth it.

Grand Trunk has a ground sleeping bag that can convert over a hammock with sleeve slits.

There are lots of examples of pull-over bags on Just Jeff's website.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have used a sleeping bag and augmented it down to some good cold.....works well for me.
    Pea-Poddish....yes!
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    What you're describing is not exactly a pea pod, but more akin to a winter sock. Look at both. I think you'll find a pea pod quite constricting. It is literally an oversized sleeping bag around a hammock. I don't recall anyone quilting or insulating a winter sock. It would probably be too bulky for anything but car camping. But winter socks do cut the wind and block drafts. You still need quilts. But, hey. Work on your idea of an insulated winter sock. It may lead to something! Best of luck to you and welcome!
    I don't find the PeaPod restricting enough to even be a consideration for me, but I am only a petite 6'1", 215 lbs. If I was much bigger, it might be a problem and I might have to go for the PolarPod. Essentially, if I have room for myself in any of the hammocks that I will use a PeaPod on(Claytor No Net, Speer 8.5, maybe a WBBB), then I also have room to wrap a pod around it with out any additional restrictions. There are some extreme lateral/fetal positions that it is possible for me to get into in some of my hammocks which I can't do with a PeaPod- that is just too wide a load, and the Velcro will snap open. But for any normal diagonal or mid-line lay, or normal sideways or fetal, no problems.

But for the OP, yep, it has been done. Commercial product is PeaPod as others have already said. Or you can rig up certain sleeping bags wrapped around the hammock.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Yep, my Pea Pod comes out in January every year! Pricey bit of kit, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've even used it for an emergency sleeping bag once.

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    One of the virtues of top quilts is that they give you some of that freedom of movement you seek. You still need to solve the problem of insulation underneath separately. When an insulated hammock sock comes in handy, there are no bugs to worry about, so don't bother with insulation over the bugnet (and you may or may not decide to use a net attached to the hammock in warmer weather).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast