DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

The Foothills Trail: A Trial of Foot vs. Hill (Now With Photos!)

Well, this trip was not an unqualified success. I had three real goals for this trip, and I met two. I had intended (primarily) to through-hike the Foothills Trail in upstate South Carolina, to get a chance to see the vistas from those mountains, and to find out if I had a thirty-mile day in the mountains in me. I managed the last two, but not the first one.

The original intention was for FireInMyBones and I to complete the Foothills Trail in NC over the course of three to four days. Unfortunately, my current state of fitness was not quite up to the task. Fortunately, FireInMyBones is a wonderful host and hiking partner who is very forgiving of others' weakness and willing to change plans when circumstances change.

I left Gainesville early on Saturday night, around 11:00 PM--fortunately, my manager at work was magnanimous enough to let me go early. This, combined with light traffic on the road, allowed me to reach Greenville fairly early on Sunday morning, around 6:00 AM.

We sat for a bit and reviewed our plans for the day, soon heading out into the gathering heat of the day. Mrs. FireInMyBones was nice enough to drive us out to the Oconee State Park trail head after dropping FireInMyBones's car off at Table Rock State Park.

By about 9:30, we were on the trail and headed northeast. I felt good, the trail being only mildly strenuous through that section, and we made good time--somewhere in the vicinity of two and three-quarters of a mile per hour. As the day's heat mounted, I began sweating quite a bit. At first, that wasn't a problem; it's normal for me to sweat, often profusely, when temperatures are above seventy or so.

We broke for a snack probably around 11:00, and estimated that we were on track for our planned twenty-three miles for the day. Gathering our packs back up, we continued on into the mounting heat. It was already up into the mid-nineties, and was to reach the high-nineties by the end of the day.

"Go up the hill; go down the hill," was the mantra for the day--I mean, it does say that the trail runs through the hills right in the name. Florida is flat: the largest local hills are perhaps thirty feet tall in Gainesville, maybe as much as forty. When you start at a thousand feet above sea level and are going to climb up into the two to three thousand range, it makes a difference. I had thought that my hour to two spent over at the local sports stadium walking and running the stairs there would be enough to get me into shape for this trip. Not so much. I started to feel a little fatigued just before lunch, though I felt as if I could keep going for quite a while before I had to rest.

We came to the Chattooga River and swam for a bit to cool off in the brisk mountain waters before settling into lunch. Here, I rinsed out my shirt and laid it on a rock to dry while I swam. I also discovered a bit of an equipment failure with my right sandal; the heel was pulling loose from the sole. I glued it back together, but that wasn't to hold.

Coming out of lunch, we entered the strenuous portion of the Burrell's Ford Road to Cheohee Road section of the trail, and I began to fade fast. My energy reserves were down in the red, I was definitely feeling the heat, and I was having trouble getting enough water into me. After several miles of what seemed like endless uphills, FireInMyBones was kind enough to not only put up with my whining and slow pace but to take my food bag and carry it for me, relieving me of perhaps a fifth of my pack weight.

Still, even with his kindness and patience, it was a struggle to reach Burrell's Ford Road and the campground there. Less than a mile from there, my heat exhaustion symptoms--for there was no mistaking that this was part of my problem--had gotten bad enough that FireInMyBones made the call that we were not going to spend the night out there. We'd only covered seventeen of our planned twenty-three miles for the day, and the next two or three days were going to be much more strenuous compared to the first one. Plus there was going to be nowhere to bail out if things got bad enough past the first half of the next day.

I think that this was the right decision, even if I feel disappointed in myself for not being able to carry through. I'm used to being able to estimate the physical cost of long-duration exercise, and it's disheartening to realize that I didn't have as good of an idea of how fit I am as I thought I did.

Still, considering the possibility of serious heat injuries, and the fact that my judgement was probably compromised by my heat exhaustion, I feel that FireInMyBones made the right call.

He managed to get a family to place a call for him once they had cell reception down the road in order to call his family and arrange a ride for us back to Table Rock to get his car. Then, there was a young man who was nice enough to give us a ride in his pickup up to the local gas station where I could get cell service, and that cut perhaps fifteen or twenty minutes off of the total ride back to FireInMyBones's car. Very. very nice of that young man, and I can't say how grateful I am for that.

Suffering from heat cramps and slowly drinking water, I waited with FireInMyBones for his father to come pick us up. FireInMyBones brushed aside my (probably too voluminous) apologies, and was very gracious about the whole thing. I know it had to be at least as disappointing to him as it was to me, but he was able to bring my mood up and around despite my propensity for self-flagellation when I feel that I've not lived up to my own expectations.

We recovered his car and drove home through one of the worst thunderstorms I've had the (dubious) pleasure of driving through. Hail was coming down badly enough that we were worried about the windshield and speculated on the use of FireInMyBones's cuben tarp as a makeshift windshield if things got to that point. Fortunately, they didn't.

As we reached his home, the storm began to taper off. We entered, showered, and ate dinner. I immediately turned in, and I don't remember anything between when I closed the door to the guest room and when I woke in the morning: I was sodden with fatigue.

With plans A and B out the window due to my lack of physical preparedness, FireInMyBones came up with the idea of summiting Table Rock as a day hike in order for me to get a chance to see some of the beautiful vistas in the area--one of my goals for this trip. Again, he was very gracious about waiting for my slow behind, and we inched our way up the side of the mountain. We ate lunch at the top, just off of the summit, on the side of the mountain. I've never, in my entire life, beheld a vista that pretty in person.

FireInMyBones set up his DIY Nano-7 clone and we took some video while munching on summer sausage and cheddar with hot sauce on flatbread. Amazingly tasty, and the sweating of the cheese actually eliminated my main problem with sharp cheddar--its dry consistency.

Headed back down the mountain, we made good time. Taking FireInMyBones's advice, I gave trail running a try to go down some of the more...stable...sections, and I found that it definitely didn't hurt my knee as much as walking down those sections would have. Unfortunately, my cardio fitness wasn't quite enough to keep up with FireInMyBones; he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Still, we reached the bottom in time to leave and head to Lake Jocassee, where we'd planned to swim towards the end of the day on our hike on Monday in the original plan. Even with that plan being out the window, it was worth going for a swim in the lake; it's absolutely beautiful.

Jocassee is a man-made lake, one that allowed for the creation of the Foothills Trail. One of the power companies in the area decided to dam the confluence of four rivers, and that flooded a small town in the valley along their banks. At its deepest, the lake runs about three hundred and fifty feet, and there is a very active local diving community that explores the few abandoned buildings that were left in place along with the submerged forest there. There are a lot of in-jokes, like the fake graveyard and skeletons in the shallows near the dive ramp. If FireInMyBones hadn't warned me, it would have taken me a couple of minutes to figure out that the bones weren't real.

Again, I had fatigue cramps from the exertion of the last two days, so I didn't do quite as much swimming as I might have liked. Still, it was a beautiful day out on the lake--not as hot as the day before and mildly overcast to cut the UV some.

We left the lake and headed back to FireInMyBones's house once again to shower and change before heading out to dinner. We went over to the (absolutely beautiful) downtown area in Greenville to eat at a new restaurant that had quite the beer selection, amazing fries and onion rings, and very good barbeque. I was impressed.

After eating dinner and chatting for a while, it was time for me to head back out on the road down to Gainesville. I loaded everything into the car and found my way back on down to I-85. Seven rather boring hours later (minus a trio of murderous semis meandering in a pack), I reached home.

After eight hours' sleep and a little food, I feel good. Disappointed that I didn't meet my primary goal of the trip, but still good. I had wanted to finish the trail, but I think that is going to have to wait until next year. My training regimen (which I definitely asked FireInMyBones about and intend to take his suggestions to heart) will need to increase in intensity over the next year to make it possible, for I have no intention of letting the trail be out of reach forever.

Pics and video will follow.
    Last edited by FLRider; 07-03-2012 at 19:02.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Love the word report! Looking forward to the video.
    You are a stronger man than me even for considering that trail this time of year!
    Do wonder if FIMB roched you into anything other than a fitness program-he has
    that affect on people!
    Anyway, glad you escaped the flats for a while. The FHT will be waiting on you.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Thanks for sharing your report. Glad you got to see some of the beautiful upstate. Come try it again in September or October. You had the unfortunate luck of visiting during record breaking heat.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Love the word report! Looking forward to the video.
    You are a stronger man than me even for considering that trail this time of year!
    Do wonder if FIMB roched you into anything other than a fitness program-he has
    that affect on people!
    Anyway, glad you escaped the flats for a while. The FHT will be waiting on you.
    FIMB definitely sold me on the ultralight hiking philosophy; his pack weight, with my food bag, was the same as my pack weight without the food bag. My experience summiting Table Rock with just a daypack definitely brought that lesson home; it was hot, hard work to climb that mountain with less than fifteen pounds, let alone thirty. So, we'll see where that leads...

Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Thanks for sharing your report. Glad you got to see some of the beautiful upstate. Come try it again in September or October. You had the unfortunate luck of visiting during record breaking heat.
    Well, I'd hoped to see it either way, and I'm glad that I did. Not so glad that my personal estimate of physical fitness was lower than what it actually is, nor that FIMB missed out on through-hiking the trail this trip, but it certainly is a beautiful area. I'll give it another try some time either this Autumn or next.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Photos!

Here're some of the photos from the trip.

The stretch of the Chatooga where we ate lunch the first day:

FIMB and I at the base of an interesting rock formation:

The stream at the base of Table Rock:

Views from the gazebo about halfway up Table Rock:

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

More Photos!

Some of the views from our stop two-thirds of the way up Table Rock:

An example of the terrain on the way up Table Rock:

FIMB and I at the summit of Table Rock:

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Even More Photos!

Some shots from the overview at Table Rock where we ate lunch:

Video will follow tonight or tomorrow.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    FLRider,

I was glad to have you up. This was the worst heat I've seen/felt in this area. The fall is the best time for hiking in this area and will attempt a thru hike again then. I hope to have my video done tomorrow along with my trip report.

The "Bones" Family gets a lot of my first time dive students too. That papa fish did scare the snot out of me though.

MM, as to roaching FLRider... I wanted him to enjoy his hiking more in the future so I mentioned Mike Clelland's book and High Intensity Cardio/Strength Training. I have found both very helpful.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing the experience and photos! I sure feel for you. Had a very similar experience last summer. The heat index shot up to over a hundred and it sure sucked the life out of me and we bailed early. I could relate to your comment about going to bed and not knowing anything until the next morning!

It's a great trail. I went back and finished in the fall. That is manageable.

Thanks again!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

so you weren't able to do this trail in 3-4 days it really isn't a big deal in the scheme of things. Some people hike fast some hike slow. I am in the middle and when the time comes for Hamhocker and I to do it we may take 5-7 days. Why because we want to take our time to enjoy it and have fun while hiking it. What matters is that you got out into the woods.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast