Tarp
    TadPole Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

To bug net or not to bug net

I would like some opinions from you guys that use add on bug net's. Looking at a few pics it seems they might lay on the ground at points. Do you guys seem to have to hang the hammock a little higher than usual?

I'm debating buying a bug net and use it with my WL Snipe or just buy a BB or HH I cant make up my mind

Do you guys have any pro's or con's on netting I appreciate any input and helpful suggestions from everybody.
    Thanks!
    Doing More with less....

Dum Tacet Clamat!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TomsBackwoods?feature=mhum

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It all depends on when you do most of your camping. Personally, I find an integrated bugnet extremely annoying during spring, fall & winter when bugs are non-existent.

Then again, an independent bugnet is more of a hassle, if you ask me. Whether it's zipper or gathered closure w/cinch cord, it's a pain in the butt. There are bug socks and half bugnets too, but they all aren't half as convenient as an integrated bugnet.

So pick your poison.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    with my snipe,,when I do use a bug net,,just using about 6-7ft of no seum netting 60 inches wide draped over the head position half of the snipe,,I cut a slit of about 1.5 ft and let it hang on me about my knees and tie it to the end of the hammock then at the half end where the slit is cut,,tie it to RL and good to go. Only weighs about 3 ozes otherwise,,the other bug net I have is made by Wilderness Logics and have really never needed to use it but it weighs out at about 8.5 ozes and both are treated with permethrin and works great. Yeppers,,pick your poison, play with em till you find what suits your fancy.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    ENO DN
    I'm new here too, but after doing some looking around, I decided to get the ENO Guardian net to go with my ENO double nest hammock.

I like it because when it's unzipped it's not hanging wide open like some of the other brands do with the horizontal zippers. That would give the bugs a better chance of getting in w/me

I don't use a seperate RL to hang the bug net.

I use the structural ridge line (SRL) of the hammock to suspend the bug net. This way, only the attached bug net storage bag brushes the ground a little, but that's no big deal. I could raise the RL by attaching it further up the hammock suspension to get the RL higher, which would raise the bug net some more.

Hope this makes sense!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    I use an ENO Guardian and like it. I do use a designated ridgeline for it (masons line) so I can hang it a bit higher. This keeps it off the ground and seems to give it more width at hammock level....hope that makes sense.

The best part is....when it don't need it, I don't bring it.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I like a separate bugnet. Specifically, Fronkey style net.
    I think that sewn in bugnets adversely affect the lay of my hammock. Even though there is more fabric in a separate net, the weight of a separate net is about the same as a sewn in one because of the zipper in the sewn in net.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I like a separate bugnet. Specifically, Fronkey style net.
    I think that sewn in bugnets adversely affect the lay of my hammock. Even though there is more fabric in a separate net, the weight of a separate net is about the same as a sewn in one because of the zipper in the sewn in net.
    here's the Fronkey on the Snipe .. maybe to be traded .. but the Fronkey is the best design other then sewn in ..IMHO

"The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    In the Smokys this past weekend it was buggy at both campsites-both right on the creeks so it was expected. I did not use a material bug net on or around the Traveler. I did use the permethrin bugnet and had no bug infestation.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The one major difference I see using a sewn bug net is not dropping the top quilt when getting out. Seems like it is always falling out of my Traveler, but stays nicely using a BB

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    The one major difference I see using a sewn bug net is not dropping the top quilt when getting out. Seems like it is always falling out of my Traveler, but stays nicely using a BB
    I'm with Oms. I have the BB and Traveler as well and prefer the BB most of the time since it keeps my quilt inside when I'm getting out of the hammock. It's also nice to be able to hang a leg out of the quilt or move it to the side while I'm sleeping and not have to worry about it falling out.

Jay

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast