Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images

Smoky Mountain Trip July 5-6-7th

Setting here talking to my wife about how the heat has let up a little bit and that I would like to hit the trail next week. She looks at me and says "no", after a short pause she also said "go on Thursday and come back on Saturday because the weather is nice right now". I have an awesome wife. We put together a good plan for a first nights meal = meat. My son and I picked out the rest. We learned our lesson on our first few hikes. We remind ourselves that clothes and food are the heaviest.

Anyway, we are going up to the GSM to a campsite up near Abrams Creek Campground. This will be our 3rd time hiking out of Abrams Creek. We want to hit every site up there before venturing north to other trails. That way we can condition ourselves for longer hikes. This hike is another short one being only 3.2 miles in. My daughter will be with us as well. It's going to be her first hike!!

The only down side to this is I can't hang while I'm there. No tarp and the bug nets arent finished yet. The sewing machine broke. I'm going to try to finish one bug net so my son can use it. My daughter and I will be on the ground in my big agnes lynx pass 2. Even though I have hung in my hammock and I love it, I still love that tent.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    DIY Silver Ghost
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB Seq., 3s-Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well, one way to escape the heat and bugs is to head up to the ridge on the AT, haha. It stays plenty cool up that high, and therefore, no buggies. That is a bit more of a trip, though. I am headed that direction on the 9th: 7 days, Big Creek to Clingman's Dome. I love that area, so beautiful.
    Stubbs

“Hearing is one of the body's five senses, but listening is an art.” - Frank Tyger

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If it were me,,I go up to Balsam Mt Campground and car camp at 5300 ft and get out of the heat. Plenty of trails to hike up there. And you can hang at lots of the campsites that are there. The higher you get,, the cooler, Abrams area will be hot and muggie.
    Enjoy no matter what.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba Spin
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash4
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    +1 for Balsam Mt
    You have nothing to fear but fear itself (and bears)

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    If it were me,,I go up to Balsam Mt Campground and car camp at 5300 ft and get out of the heat. Plenty of trails to hike up there. And you can hang at lots of the campsites that are there. The higher you get,, the cooler, Abrams area will be hot and muggie.
    Enjoy no matter what.
    I'm looking it up on the map right now. We may just do that. There has been a small change of plans though, I'm taking my hammock instead of the 2 man tent. My daughter will use one of my 1 man tents and just set up next to me. Man am I suprised how much lighter the pack is just by removing that 5lb tent! Now I'm packing 2.3lbs including the footprint for my tent which I will use as my tarp for now. I tried it and it works as an asym (i guess??). It turns out to be diamond shaped. We bought a cheap green tarp and some cord for my sons hammock.

On the flip side. We made up some food for the first night. Main dish: spam (diced), hashbrowns, with salsa on pita bread. Desert: sliced apples with brown sugar. All wrapped in aluminum foil so we can cook it on the coals. The rest of the meals are normal pack meals like pop tarts, oatmeal, etc. We aren't packing heavy food this time. Oh forgot I'm trying some tuna with chopped bell pepper on pita bread as well. Neither of the kids like tuna but I love it.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    I looked up Balsam MT. Not going to happen at this point in time. To far of a drive right now and Abrams is a lot closer to home. I wouldnt mind if it were just my son and I going, but with my daughter going too. This is her first time out in the mountains hiking.

Plus I want to hit all of the trails on this side of the AT first. Which we only have 1 more after this hike and then we will start moving south and east for our hikes, at least for now. Although the group hangs in Nashville sound like fun. I may jump in on one of those sometime.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Good luck on your trip! Hope you all have fun. Le tus know how it went!
    Here is a couple of food ideas you can put together for quick meals. Soft Tortilla shells with peanut butter and honey. Don't know why but it goes good together for a lightweight quick lunch or snack. I also like taking the foil pack chicken and combining it with dehydrated packets or knorr's pasta or rice dishes. Add the chicken and knorr pack together with the hot water (most packets say to simmer for 10 min.) and walah! Hot dinner!

Hammock
    eno DN(Daily)Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Cuben DIYw/beak
    Insulation
    15*Bag/20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Good luck on your trip! Hope you all have fun. Le tus know how it went!
    Here is a couple of food ideas you can put together for quick meals. Soft Tortilla shells with peanut butter and honey. Don't know why but it goes good together for a lightweight quick lunch or snack. I also like taking the foil pack chicken and combining it with dehydrated packets or knorr's pasta or rice dishes. Add the chicken and knorr pack together with the hot water (most packets say to simmer for 10 min.) and walah! Hot dinner!
    I've done the soft tortilla with peanut butter and honey for camping and just around the house... Great quick meal! For camping I spread the PB on the tortilla at home, wrapped them up, then took honey packs found in restaurants with me and prepared them on the trail.
    Always have a Plan B C D and E! - Arson

I 100% believe “Normal is Boring!"

Does Shug ever put out a bad video?

"Man up and get back up to the top of the food chain Mr. Omnivore. That McDonalds didn't grow out of a Avacodo bush.” - MrClean417

"The trick to living and learning is actually living." - Cannibal

"He who would travel happily must travel light."
    - Antonine Marie Roger de Saint-Exupery

"Backpacking is the art of knowing what not to take."
    - Sheridan Anderson

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
    Well, one way to escape the heat and bugs is to head up to the ridge on the AT, haha. It stays plenty cool up that high, and therefore, no buggies. That is a bit more of a trip, though. I am headed that direction on the 9th: 7 days, Big Creek to Clingman's Dome. I love that area, so beautiful.
    I just hiked from Newfound Gap to the Low Gap then down to Big Creek yesterday (32 miles). Lemme tell you, it was still hot and buggy up top!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast