DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images

Thread injector - dual feed or walking foot?

When looking for a machine to make typ outdoor gear, would a walking foot or a dual feed be better??

Thanks,
    Slack

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you want to pay the price, fanagle the settings and generally invite problems knock you self out. If you were making to sell... absolutely. For personal use... personal decision. But I like the KISS principle for my own gear making.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Walking foot can mean a few different things. There is compound feed (needle feed, alternating presser foot, feed dogs) and that's usually used on very heavy fabrics (though you could use on thin stuff with enough adjustments). There are some machines are called walking foot that don't have all the features like the sailrite lsz-1, it isn't true compound feed as it doesn't have needle feed. There are also machines like the pfaff with idt, and that machine is really pretty to look at and it has some great features, but the idt isn't anything that will compete with a real compound feed for feeding capabilities. I look at the machines without needle feed as equal to a plain old standard straight stitcher as far as feed capabilities.

That said I own a compound feed, but i use a needle feed for thin materials that are commonly used in the DIY here because it makes controlling slippery fabrics a breeze. It's a machine you can't usually get in domestic machine. I do think the price of my machine is prohibitive to suggest it as a DIY machine, but if you're looking for the best go for a juki dln 5410.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    I have had "limited" luck with My Necchi SN and Dressmaker feeding 2 layers of nylon, never feeds both pieces evenly.
    I will go out on a limb and translate your response as "not worth the price and setup for personal use" ?
    I will explore ways to "pre attach" my layers of Nylon before sewing, pinning it never worked. Perhaps tacking it with water sol glue? water sol tape?

Slack

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    If you want to pay the price, fanagle the settings and generally invite problems knock you self out. If you were making to sell... absolutely. For personal use... personal decision. But I like the KISS principle for my own gear making.

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Hair clips seem to work better than pins. For personal use a nice needle feed is too expensive, at least I think so. I wouldn't reccomend water soluble glue for tacking down your fabric, it gums up needles if it gets the slightest bit of moisture on it or isn't fully cured (plus it's ineffective on sil).

If you're having an extremely hard time you could try a basting gun on the seam allowance if you can. It puts plastic pieces through the fabric like a basting stitch. They're cheap and effective and it's really fast.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Slackdaddy, It's possible that the presser foot tension is too high. Most machines have an adjustment for the spring on the presser foot. I know I had to adjust mine to minimize the top fabric from getting pushed ahead. Try that before you look for another machine.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    I will go out on a limb and translate your response as "not worth the price and setup for personal use" ?
    Exactly. When you can set up the machine for a production run where you only have to make the adjustments once they improve speed and quality immeasurably. But for DIY gear making where you are changing things every whipsnatch... they can more often get in the way.

If you are "of a certain age" the basting gun mentioned above is similar to the "Buttoneer". The problem there, IMO is you have to go and clip all those nasty little plastic thingies, which inevitably fly all over the room, generally making a mess.

Adhesives of any kind are not a good match with a sewing machine IMO. The goo and gunk can really play hob.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Slackdaddy, It's possible that the presser foot tension is too high. Most machines have an adjustment for the spring on the presser foot. I know I had to adjust mine to minimize the top fabric from getting pushed ahead. Try that before you look for another machine.
    +1 on Presser foot pressure. Also if that doesn't work you could try a different foot on your machine (roller, Teflon...) and I believe necchi made a set of pin drive feed dogs for the supernovas once upon a time, and that would be a heck of lot cheaper than a needle feed machine. I would advise against a walking foot attachment for a home use machine on slippery nylon. Way more fuss than they're worth.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Thanks guys,
    Rev you saved me my "new Kayak" money
    I will play with the foot pressure adjustment.
    The hair pins sold good,, I may still try double sided sewing tape, I'll repeort back.

Slack

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    Rev you saved me my "new Kayak" money
    In the interest of full disclosure... I got a PM questioning my assessment. (It's all good, no problem) and I must say a commercial machine made and intended for dual feed is a different beastie and one I have no experience with. I am referring to add-on attachments when I downplay their usefulness in typical DIY projects.

I highly endorse dedicated industrial machines for production purposes. They are faster and heftier but way pricier as well. For the short run "typical" DIY gear maker I'm not sure they are cost effective. Add-on attachments to do complicated tasks, IMO, more often than not do not live up to expectations.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast