MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling

First Trip, Really Nervous

So I'm going to be heading out on my first Hammock backpacking trip in a week and I'm really nervous about the whole thing. I'm terrified that I'm going to end up on my butt in the middle of the night.

I've got a brand new diy hammock that is 1.9 nylon and a little overkill for my 175lb self. I am using Dynaglide but even the lowest weight limit I've seen listed for those is 25lbs less than my weight and 50 off the most frequent listed weight limit of 225. Even with all the assurances that I should be fine, I still am nervous because I got in it yesterday and no matter how I set it up I still felt like the hammock fabric had a lot of pressure on it. I don't like or use a ridgeline and I've got a fairly short hammock at 7.5-8ft give or take, but I'm pretty short myself. I even have a backup plan if it does fail, I'm taking a full length Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad that I'm using as a pack frame and folded up under my feet at night.

Nothing looks wrong, I just feel like something is off... Is it real or just my nerves getting the best of me?

Hammock
    DIY SL/DL Ripstop/DIY Taffeta
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/HH Hex
    Insulation
    PLTQ/Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/M Spk
    Don't be nervous...get out there and enjoy the wilderness. We all it the ground atleast once in our endevours. Just hang low so you won't have very far to fall if you think it might happen. As for the 1.9...you will be fine my friend. I have 1.1 and I'm 230. Go enjoy and don't forget to report back.
    It's a hammock thing, you won't understand!

The wife no longer kicks me out of bed after she saw a hammock hanging in the dog house.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Hey, SH! 7.5-8 feet is crazy short. Most of the ultra-lite commercial hammocks are 9.5 feet and most DIYs are 10, 11 or more feet. Hammock Bliss's ultra-lite is about the same as yours, I guess. I don't know if that effects the "stretch" of the fabric, but 1.9 oz/square yard ripstop does have some stretchiness to it. Just don't put a sharp knee or elbow with all your weight on it in one place. That said, 1.9 oz. ripstop is plenty strong to hold you.

I admire your spirit and encourage you to get out there and have fun!!! Please report back after your trip and remember---the tweeking is never done.

"Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    If you've done your homework and tested in your backyard first, you should be fine in the field. That said, there is nothing wrong with taking some back up suspension, like a pair of larger 7/64 amsteel whoopies even if just for peace of mind. The fabric will be fine. Just don't bring anything sharp or pointed into bed with you

The only true tragedy I had hammock camping was on a week long backpacking trip when I left my strap and Dutch clip on a tree when I stopped for a hammock siesta and lunch earlier in the day. At camp that night I was beside myself. Luckily one of the guys going with me had some mule tape with him that worked perfectly. I am hyper aware of my straps now.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I hung over a rock my first night out. I should have had more of your trepidation, but everything held firm. I guess since its DIY, you want to hang in it and squirm around to test it out - you've done that, right?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No amount of testing can replace experience. It is terribly important, but not as confidence building as just using the darn thing.

After a couple of trips, you won't even think about it anymore. You aren't alone in the initial fear of failure. I remember my first DIY hammock. The pride and terror eventually melded into a fine midday nap. The confidence will come from experience. To get the experience, you have to get out!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    No amount of testing can replace experience. It is terribly important, but not as confidence building as just using the darn thing.

After a couple of trips, you won't even think about it anymore. You aren't alone in the initial fear of failure. I remember my first DIY hammock. The pride and terror eventually melded into a fine midday nap. The confidence will come from experience. To get the experience, you have to get out!
    I wanted to heartily agree with this.

When I first started hammock camping...I fiddled and fussed with my setup...was panicked something would go wrong.

Last time I was out, I waited until 10:30 at night before I bothered to hang my hammock. Well after dark, although I had scouted my site during daylight.

Hammock went up, pack was policed up, and I was laid back and cozy reading my nook 10 minutes later. It was the next morning when I gave some thought to how comfortable I've become with this setup.

I'm FAR more comfortable with my ability to hang/camp in my hammock than I ever was with camping in a tent.

Practice and experience = confidence.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    fear of the new is normal......i still have it and have done a couple of solo trips and hangs, just finished a three day...way farther then i ever thought possible for starting out.. the hammock tweaking and such is part of the satisfaction of doing what most only give a passing thought too. IMO and hammock camping has enabled my body to do the hiking part GO FOR IT MY FRIEND and ENJOY!
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Congrats and welcome to hammock camping Nothing like arriving at the camp site and finding nothing but rocks and no flat ground!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    As far as your Whoopies, my brother and I both use dynaglide at around 175 as well. Let me just say I saw him swinging in his like a swingset and not even close to breaking. Other people do not want to take responsibility for someone getting injured. But I'm here to tell you that you won't. Enjoy those dynaglide Whoopies and the piney woods.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast